Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fewer encounters with antisocial young folk: The Reality Checck (Part 3)

Fewer encounters with antisocial young folk: The Reality Checck (Part 3)

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 3:00 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fewer encounters with antisocial young folk: The Reality Checck (Part 3)

OK depends where you live, but I rarely (never) worry about this. Seems like this is not the case most places in the UK nowadays?

Daily Mail readers need to self-identifiy before posting.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fewer encounters with antisocial young folk: The Reality Checck (Part 3)

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
OK depends where you live, but I rarely (never) worry about this. Seems like this is not the case most places in the UK nowadays?

I tottally 100% agree, actaully i find the teenagers in my area to be very respectful.

we live in quite a busy street and sure there all gaggling laughing and joking as they go by my apartment but there not intoxicated in any way, not beating anyone up, or smashing glasses, and they wouldnt tell you eff off if you told em to quieten down.

actually there was one occasion where some boys were outisde my balcony late one night and they were shouting at one of the other boys whod chucked someones keys and they couldnt find them, I went out and could see the keys from my vantage point,

I shouted down and told them where the keys were and told them to be quiet. they couldnt be more sorry, and went along there way.

if that had been the uk, id had probably been told to eff off you old ****.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fewer encounters with antisocial young folk: The Reality Checck (Part 3)

Whilst walking my dog in my local park last night a group of young girls walked past and the language which came out of there mouths kinda summed up just 1 of the reasons why I want to move. Every second word began with a F or a C but I think you get pockets of anti-social behaviour wherever you live in the world, not just the UK.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 11:29 am
ARH
Forum Regular

ARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant future

Agree that there will be elements of anti-social behaviour anywhere you go, but it seems that the UK is getting more and more of it. I was no angel when I was growing up, but I would it call more mischief than anything else - I always respected my elders and knew where to draw the line.

By todays standards, like being told to "F*** Off, you C***", just because I politely asked a bunch of Chavs to move out of the way so I could get past, it makes what I used to do pretty angelic!

Both my wife and I are really concerned about bringing up our three year old in this environment. We live in rural Dorset and I've noticed a steep decline even over the past five years or so. My view is that kids have very little to do in the UK to keep them off the streets and occupied.

Couple that with the over stretched Police Force who now seem to spend more time filling out paperwork to ensure they respect the "Human Rights" of criminals than getting out on the beat to stop this sort of behaviour - not their fault - government policy and EU rules see to that.

Last edited by ARH; Oct 22nd 2006 at 11:40 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

I couldnt agree more with all of the points raised so far on this thread.

I am huge on respect - so cannot abide any form of disrespect at all.

I find living in the UK at this moment in time very hard work as if some person is doing something wrong and you challenge them you never know what the youth (or other person) could do in retaliation. Here are a few examples :-

1. I have had a car totally trashed by a group of teenagers who i reported to the police for scaling up a 6 foot wall to come into my back yard.

2. One of my neighbours was threatened with a knife when he challenged someone who was trying to steal his car.

3. A 15 year old was handing poppers around to 11 year olds ! Then when one of the mothers had had enough he turned around and told her to "get in ya f -ing house u f-ing woman".

4. Youths urinating over the cars of a church's congregation whilst they were attending a church service.

I too fear for the welfare of my children and that is why I chose to move everyone to Canada. This is the only place I have ever been where a teenager will stand up to let you sit down or hold a door open for you.

Any parent living in the UK at the moment would have the same fears as me as the only way I feel that I can protect my kids against all of this Chavness is to keep them in the house at all times - and I feel that this is tantamount to child abuse so I choose to emigrate.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:18 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

i agree with everything that has been said , there will always be kids that are mouthy and such whereever you go , but i hope canada isnt as bad as here :scared:
i want my kids to grow up with lots of things for them to do and to be honest i dont think there is hardly anything for kids to do here which is a bit pants really ! isnt it ??
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:47 pm
ARH
Forum Regular

ARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant future

Enough said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6074252.stm
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:30 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ARH
We are not by any means immune here in Canada.

This article from today's Calgary Herald relates an attack on a 61 year old male by a group of teens in Airdrie just north of Calgary. This attack happened yesterday morning at 5:30 a.m.

Thugs swarm Airdrie man, 61

Steve
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:30 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say it worries me constantly but in the UK I do occasionally come across groups of youngsters that have no respect for anything (including themselves). The result is usually some verbal abuse as they pass by on the street. I have been verbally abused in the street by toff 20somethings (males with more money than sense) who obviously felt I should be doffing my cap as they pushed past me. They had no clue about respect being a two-way street.

In Canada I have come across plenty of gormless (but harmless) young people, but only one incident of verbal abuse comes to mind (in Kelowna). It was the sort of group that you might get similar behaviour from in the UK (a mixed male and female group and their dogs).

These have been isolated incidents and I do not feel personally victimised by them. I have come across polite and respectful young people in both countries. On balance, taking into account the time spent in each place, I do not have the experiences to say that one place is better than the other.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:45 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely, the first incident in over 12 months of being here happened Friday nite, we were coming back from the hockey game, and three yoots were on the highway. It was dark and without street lighting as it's a new section of highway and the cars are forced to swerve sharp left where the new section is being finished.

The 3 yoots were staggering around and as one black-clad shoe gazer seemed to fall back into the road, the car in front of us almost clipped him. The 3 staggered around and pathetically tried to kick out at the car in front. There was some shouting etc. We drove past wary of them lashing out at our car, but I doubt they were on planet earth as their eyes were popping out of their heads. I'd assume they were freshly cranked up and heading downtown to join the rest of the late nite pardee crowd. This wasn't a "happy-drug" experience for them.

And that OTTOMH is the only 'bad' experience I've seen involving yoots.

I generally see them (yoots generically) chilling out with a spliff in the park, doing stuff, sports mainly, skateboarding or BMX-ing around town, going to/from studies, to/from their part time work, etc, all going about their business like normal everyday people. I guess they act like young versions of adults, not like some army of angry disenfranchised half-monster half-animal breed from hell puked up onto the street to cause mayhem.

I like the fact that they can articulate more than monosyllabic answers; there's far less grunting than the UK. Please and thank you and excuse me is everyday. Sadly, many that I see at job interviews have badly presented resumes, numerous typo's are usual, and the ability to present oneself as being vaguely interested in work is a dissapointment. They should all aim for a career in the public sector IMHO. The other minor annoyance is the macho jock/dude culture, all big-man sports and suchlike, it's tiresome and very much all-American. Someone should tell them that.

And I see very little evidence of the chav vandalism, window smashing, granny baiting, fighting and puking in the street, that used to be just so de rigeur in the (Y)UK.

Rich.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
numerous typo's are usual
Quality
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a problem in UK, continue to have no problems here.

I don't automatically assume a group of youths is going to kick my head in, I'm not afraid of them. Did none of you hang out with your friends in groups? I did, and I've turned out perfectly alright.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:57 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Quality
Absolutely, as in it and it's.

Typo = typographical error. Thus the plural is typographical errors. The ' indicates missing letters, for the uneducated masses. Thus writing typos is actually incorrect despite that mass media using typos as their version of typo's. I guess nobody said journalists had to be educated. And the debate about the impact mass media has on illiteracy and the dumbing down of western cultures must have some truth to it, innit. Perhaps it's just laziness, and it's should be written as its for the convenience of dimwits and the lazy masses.

Rich.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 3:18 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

The UK village I lived in was getting worse - by the time I left there were kids hanging out in the streets at 11pm, throwing eggs and drinking, swearing, smashing car mirrors, the usual stuff. They often hung out near the old peoples' home, just what the residents needed!

In Canada kids hang out, skateboard etc but I've never had a problem with them and they tend to get out of your way without you having to ask them.

The first week I was here there was a TV report about an elderly war veteran who had been burgled by youths - his life savings were stolen. The kids from the local high school clubbed together all their pocket money and ended up raising twice as much as the man had lost. the guy was in tears when the kids presented him with the cheque.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 3:28 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

all i seem to write with reference to posts like this, is negative comments due to the work i do. so on a lighter note, whilst car stuck in huge pile of snow, along comes teenage yoof and helps, unprompted, to push me out. i tried to say thank you but was speechless, he smiled and trudged on his way. i know the snow kinda gives it away, but no guesses this wasn't in the uk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.