Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A few words advice for people about to emmigrate!

A few words advice for people about to emmigrate!

Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:50 am
Just Joined

maggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to allmaggie-may is a name known to all
Default Re: A few words advice for people about to emmigrate!

Originally Posted by Danny B
Sorry to hear that things did not work out for you, reading through your list made me chuckle (not at your misfortune BTW) because we arrived in July 2007 practically in the same position as you, and things worked out great for us.

1) We bought a house in a neighborhood that we had no real life experience with, only Google earth LOL.

2) We bought a house and took on a mortgage without having a job.

3) The thought did cross my mind, but on our recce trip it was apparent that employers would not be interested until we were living in the area.

4) There wasn't a great deal of choice for IT jobs here, it was a choice of about 5 places to work and I applied for them all.

5) At the time of getting my mortgage (with no job) my Bank Manager was really building my hopes up saying that I'll find a job no problem, and I'm pleased to say I did.

6) I have and I agree. My 13yr old needs a $4k brace, Thank God for dental plans.

This isn't a smug post, but just to let readers know that for two families arriving in BC at about the same time, one family has had a totally different experience than the other.
Hi
It was good to hear your your positive experience of moving to canada and getting a mortgage e.t.c..
Me , my husband and son landed 2 weeks ago and did a recee trip- job interviews ,schools and houses! At the moment he has a job offer, my son likes the school and we have put down a deposit on a house in the school catchment area! We are now on tender hooks awaiting if we got the mortgage- if not then we will to try renting in the area of his school which I think will prove difficult as houses don't come up often and they want rent in advance for immigrants! So trying to put it all together has been stressful at times. If you have any advice or ideas- would be grateful.
Thanks
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

chrisshawcroft is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to give my experience.

Arrived Jan 2009 on work permit with a job, just in time for the beginning of the recession , but thats another story.

Had 3 dogs in kennels in UK so needed somewhere to live.

I agree renting is by far the best option (to late now though!)

I brought a house in the snow, it looked great all white and fluffy!

Snow melted not so good!

The house had a lot of hidden defects which the building inspector did not pick up as they where hidden

Now trying to get the previous owner to court

Not easy.

To sum up, the more research you do the better. Look into all the potential issues, like the price of drugs if you don't have company cover. Yes you can get drugs in Quebec through the Regie but not on a work permit.

Dental Care that is free in the UK is V Expensive here $4500.00 for a brace for your kids, Ive got 3

My Permit expires next year, and I think I will try and stay on.

However if I had planned things better and done my research better I would either never have come or definetly be staying on!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chrisshawcroft
Just wanted to give my experience.

Dental Care that is free in the UK is V Expensive here $4500.00 for a brace for your kids, Ive got 3
Oh god I have two that need braces!!! Kerrrching!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy
Oh god I have two that need braces!!! Kerrrching!
$850 per tooth millimetre was my cost for braces. About $25,000 all in.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:25 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

thanks OP for the information and the tips. we have decuided to rent ( mainly cos when we leave UK we will pay off all debts and have about £10k to play with so no deposit) very useful post. thanks
Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hrt2fnd
4. Research your job prospects thoroughly. We didn't and ended up fairly broke. Good jobs here tend not to be advertised with salaries and are often gone very quickly as they are tend to be filled by personal recommendations. This is a 'who you know' job network country, and if you don't know anyone the good jobs can be hard to find.

agree. before i came i did some research on jobs. i didnt want to believe that it took me so many applications before i got a job. i'm not complaining because i was really lucky. i quite understestimated the 'canadian experience' thing and the 'who-knows-who' mentality, though.
I am learning this now. I was in Montreal 2 weeks ago. I had worked hard to line up a load of internal interviews in my company, and leverage contacts in the UK who had Canadian connections. The day I saw everyone went really well, and I walked out with them talking about start dates and relocation packages...two days later I get an email saying they are going to consider local people first. Having a similar thing with another company now, and I have highly specific expertise and a Ph.D. (UK). I'm hoping I'm a lucky as you!