Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A few thoughts

A few thoughts

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few thoughts

Isnt the whole tarring of one particular subset of people with blatant generalisations about their behaviour (They will work for a pittance, and they make no attempt to learn the language) inherently racist? One size does not fit all.

And if you think Canada is any different in terms of integration of different peoples and the "dilution" of the native tongues, then you have not done enough research.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by iaink
Well. My mum died so we all went over for the funeral. Looking at the UK with my now canadian eyes here are a few impressions I got. (Bearing in mind Im pretty happy in Canada with my lot)

Wow, its was soooo green. Spring had sprung, the weather was FANTASTIC too.

So much for kids to do, Warwick Castle was like a dream for my 4 year old. FANTASTIC. So many other options too.

It was BRILLIANT to catch up with family, although obviously the circumstances could have been happier.

Daily grocery prices seemed a fair bit cheaper than Canada.

Driving was not too bad, the M1 was OK, getting around was OK, but not as easy as Canada. Borrowing a TomTom was a help though. Couldnt live with an M3 / M25 commute everyday though. Got used to narrow twisty roads, roundabouts and manual gearboxes again pretty fast. Lot of diesel powered german executive cars around, in fact a lot of new cars everywhere. Very few old beaters on the road that I saw. General impression was of a lot of disposable income...dont know if its rooted in debt though.

Customer service is ABYSMAL. Girl actually answered personal mobile call while selling me rail tickets. Not impressed!

House prices are RIDICULOUS in nearly all places.

Travel costs are insane, $150 for 2 to travel by train from Gatwick to Bedford return...WTF!

Obsession with schools / living in the right area for a decent school is alive and well, but pretty well justified too.

Cameras EVERYWHERE. Looks like a police state to an outsider. Private security firms in city centers were a surprise too.

Real Beer GOOD! (Fullers)

Hoodies / petty crime...didnt see any. Lots of graffiti on and around the train though.

Overcrowding. Actually the bits of London we went through seemed to be pretty well covered for parks and farmland areas around. Nice playgrounds seemed a common feature.

Public Footpaths / Right of way. What a joy, paths everywhere! Dont get that sort of access to the countryside here in Ontario.

My overall conclusion, if you have a house and a decent job to pay for travel and a few awaydays, I cant understand why you would throw it away to come to Canada for the sake of a larger house. England is a pretty nice place...IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO LIVE IN A NICE AREA. Based on visiting family in Woking Surrey and a North Beds Village, and a friend in Radcliffe near Nottingham.

Was nice to get back home though and get a decent coffee and a shower and sleep in my own bed too.

Im so sorry to hear about your mom's death iain. I hope you were able to spend some time with her before she died. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Stay strong surrounded by the love of family and friends and keep those memories of mom close to your heart forever!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Im so sorry to hear about your mom's death iain. I hope you were able to spend some time with her before she died. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Stay strong surrounded by the love of family and friends and keep those memories of mom close to your heart forever!
Thank you Sue. Sadly I wasnt able to make it back in time, but its one of those things you sort of prepare for, living so far away. Family has been great though.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Isnt the whole tarring of one particular subset of people with blatant generalisations about their behaviour (They will work for a pittance, and they make no attempt to learn the language) inherently racist? One size does not fit all.

And if you think Canada is any different in terms of integration of different peoples and the "dilution" of the native tongues, then you have not done enough research.
I agree with that. It amazes me that they don't realise Canada is full of people who cannot speak more than one word of English. I don't understand how people are happy to leave the UK 'because there are too many immigrants' only to become one themself, that baffles me????

After living in Vancouver for 3 years I am surrounded by different cultures/nationalities and quite a lot of them have not intergrated into Canadian life, by their own choice. That's not much different from the UK

Last edited by fishfinger; Apr 23rd 2007 at 4:43 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
If that does happen, your chances of emigrating are pretty slim.
Sorry to dissapoint you souv but apart from my broad northern accent( don't know if I can say that as it may be misconstrued as racism) I speak, listen undertand and sometimes write perfect English!!!

for the Smiths can't find a dictionary where ignorance=racism, but Observation which is what I posted=perception. the faculty of taking notice.

I think you are getting this mixed up with persecution=an irrational fear that others are scheming against one. I wasn't scheming against one therefore why persecute one for their observations
jo
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:56 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, when it comes to race issues it is very hard to say something either in the positive or the negative without being perceived wrongly by someone. Everyone has their own interpretation of what and what isn't racist (as well as that which is blatant racism which almost everyone would agree on) so no matter who says what there is always going to be a counter point of view.

Seeing as how we are now two of Canada's immigrant population and having been treated with nothing but kindness and courtesy I consider us to be very lucky because I know there are people on this forum who have experienced racism. The trouble is, it happens, it's always been there in one form or another in all countries and it is down to the person you are as to how you choose to deal with it and the personal experience you have encountered as to how it affects your perception.

The sad thing is though that this is one subject that causes so many misconceptions - whether it be someone thinking someone is being racist when they really are not or someone actually being racist because they don't understand the facts and this, in my experience as an equalities awareness training officer (which covers most of the ISMs in case anyone wondered), is where the problem lies and one that I hope will get easier as the world becomes smaller... we live in hope
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
After living in Vancouver for 3 years I am surrounded by different cultures/nationalities and quite a lot of them have not intergrated into Canadian life, by their own choice. That's not much different from the UK
Canada is a "Mosaic" and not a "Melting Pot".
(Ref : "Canada for Dummies")

So you are free to dress, speak, live etc. according to your choice. In return expect to be treated differently.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
I haven't seen much of a racist posting on here, but rather simple observations and relating of their own experiences. Is it really racist to state a fact? The poster who told the story of the whole department of non-English-speaking employees and the subsequent work-related accident wasn't being racist.
An undocumented tale which boils down to "the place has gone to the dogs because of them Poles" (in this case the place being a car plant) is simple racism, innit?

What I wanna know is where are the Pakis now? What do they do now everything is the fault of the Poles?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bear-diesel
Sorry to dissapoint you souv but apart from my broad northern accent( don't know if I can say that as it may be misconstrued as racism) I speak, listen undertand and sometimes write perfect English!!!

for the Smiths can't find a dictionary where ignorance=racism, but Observation which is what I posted=perception. the faculty of taking notice.

I think you are getting this mixed up with persecution=an irrational fear that others are scheming against one. I wasn't scheming against one therefore why persecute one for their observations
jo
The "Thought Police" are out there - unfortunately you can't make observations or even think them without committing an offence these days! George Orwell was very perceptive with 1984!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What I wanna know is where are the Pakis now? What do they do now everything is the fault of the Poles?
When I lived in the UK the Pakis were accused of all of the problems. A classic story at the time was that Tuff Shoes discontinued their lifetime warranty because Pakis working shifts at the cotton mills were sharing the same pair of shoes so the shoes got 3 tiimes the wear.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
When I lived in the UK the Pakis were accused of all of the problems. A classic story at the time was that Tuff Shoes discontinued their lifetime warranty because Pakis working shifts at the cotton mills were sharing the same pair of shoes so the shoes got 3 tiimes the wear.

lol! I bet they passed them on to the Poles.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

An undocumented tale which boils down to "the place has gone to the dogs because of them Poles" (in this case the place being a car plant) is simple racism, innit?

Can someone explain to me why it is considered racist to refer to Pakis yet we call other nationalities Canucks, Poles, Aussies, Brits, Yanks as appropriate. Is it because of special sensitivity on the part of the inhabitants of Pakistan? (No criticism of dbd33 is intended)

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Can someone explain to me why it is considered racist to refer to Pakis yet we call other nationalities Canucks, Poles, Aussies, Brits, Yanks as appropriate. Is it because of special sensitivity on the part of the inhabitants of Pakistan? (No criticism of dbd33 is intended)

"Paki" is an insult, the analogue would be "Polack", not Pole.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

"Paki" is an insult, the analogue would be "Polack", not Pole.
OK then 1. Who decided it was an insult?
2. What is an acceptable abbreviation?

I'm not being a pain - I genuinely want to know!

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by skiboy10

Do I really have to explain that its to do with the historical connotations and implications attached to the particular name used?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.