Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A few questions - money related, mostly!

A few questions - money related, mostly!

Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:58 am
Just Joined

amsams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few questions - money related, mostly!

Hi all,

I posted a few months ago about an interview process I was going through, and a few months later - I have a job offer! It's subject to being able to get a work permit, so nothing is set in stone as yet, but I do have a few questions that I hope people can help with before I formally accept the offer.

The background: The job is in downtown Victoria, and I'm single (separated...) so any costs of living would just be for me.

The first question is whether I could actually be able to live in the general area! I have a few things here in the UK I need to continue paying for, but my base salary will be in the region of $80K. I need to be able to keep aside around £1,200/mo to pay off a few things here in the UK, which by my estimates is just over $1,900. A rough, back of the envelope calculation after tax and the amount I mentioned above gives me around $2,800/mo. I'm not a big spender - I don't buy a lot of things, and I rarely go out. I'm not fussed about living somewhere tiny, as I don't really have many possessions, and neither do I have a problem with house/flat-sharing. A rough idea of what I'd be looking at for rent, utilities, internet access, food etc. if anyone can would be a bonus!

The second main question is how easy is it to transfer money regularly back to the UK, and what would I be looking at regarding charges/fees etc?

Sorry if these questions are a bit vague - if there's anything else I can add let me know.

Andy.