Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A few questions about moving to Canada BC!

A few questions about moving to Canada BC!

Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

vadear is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A few questions about moving to Canada BC!

Hey all!

This is only our third post to this forum and since our first we have changed our destination! We are now soon to be hopefully moving to Canada, BC from the UK

We have a few questions though, and the answers could really jump-start our move!

- Realistically how long does it take a skilled (20+ years of experience) nurse to immigrate with two children? From start to finish, I.e: getting the house straight and sold to moving into the new house abroad!

- What problems could i possibly run into with my children. 19 and 22. 19 year old has just finished A levels and 22 y.o has just finished uni. Could this complicate things?

- Could my age of 51 cause some problems? I have 90 points from the scoring system and English is my first language. I am a bit sore when it comes to Italian, French and Dutch.

- What has recently happened to the Canadian nursing board? I heard that it went under its only mini recession. Making lots of cut backs financially and with jobs.

- How much does it cost per cat/dog to take them with us abroad? And how long before we move do they have to be quarantined?

Could someone please help us and clear up this information for us? Some of the information we have been told is apparently dishonest. (From a Canadian immigration agent)

- We were told that we would have to sell all of our possessions to prove that we are 100% dedicated to immigrating.

- The cost of living is ALOT higher compared to a large city in the UK. And wages are low compared to the living costs; even as a skilled worker (nurse).

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by vadear; Aug 25th 2010 at 6:51 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:08 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions about moving to Canada BC!

Originally Posted by vadear
- We were told that we would have to sell all of our possessions to prove that we are 100% dedicated to immigrating.
Can't help on the nursing related questions but this is of course complete bovine excrement. If an immigration consultant told you that, you should run from them a mile as they don't have a clue.

Start at: www.cic.gc.ca and the Wiki (which has a section on nursing) and avoid snake oil salesmen. At least until you know enough to know when you are being taken for a ride.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, lots of questions.

Might be better to split them up but here goes nothing:

Realistic time frame now is a bit up in the air with the new system. About a year for the immigration paperwork, maybe less seems about right now. Wouldnt sell anything or house hunt until thats done and dusted though, or at least until medicals were done and the finish line in sight. Some people move in a week after completion, some take months, so how long to sell and move in is anyones guess and perhaps in the hands of the gods anyway. Then there is landing a job... thats a slow process in Canada at the best of times.

Neither kid is perhaps considered dependent now as not in full time educations, so could not be on your application. the 19 year old may be, if they are going on to further ed.

Age, no problem regarding immigration. May be a problem finding a job as it would be elsewhere. Might want to look at the way pensions work though.

NO idea about nursing board.

Pets... lots of threads discussing cost to look at. Its not super cheap.

Selling everything? Hardly, If you have nice furnature ship it over, you might as well fill a container. Electrical stuff is a toss up. As for commitment, that smell like BS, as long as you have the necessary funds to land.

Cost of living here is a frequent topic, Vancouver is expensive by Canadian terms and wages there seem to lag costs, but its a similar cost of living to the UK, although of course exchange rates go up and down and cloud things. Nurses here seem relatively well treated. If they arent they tend to bugger off down to the US for a bit.

Hope that helps, and check out the many Wiki articles.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 25th 2010 at 7:13 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

- How much does it cost per cat/dog to take them with us abroad? And how long before we move do they have to be quarantined?
There's no quarantine requirement going from the UK.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

90 points - has to be a record
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:14 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
90 points - has to be a record
I beat that, so no, its not

Old system though...
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

digirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at www.fraserhealth.ca (towns from Burnaby, New Westminister out the valley to Abbotsford and Chilliwack(40-60 minute drive to Vancouver) Much cheaper and very nice places to live too.
There is a department/program foreign trained nurses can contact. I believe they will hold your hand through the process as they want you here.
Here's their website
http://www.fraserhealth.ca/careers/c...al_applicants/
The health authority for Vancouver is called vancouver coastal. I work for Fraser so I don't know much about the VC programs.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

- What problems could i possibly run into with my children. 19 and 22. 19 year old has just finished A levels and 22 y.o has just finished uni. Could this complicate things?
Not 100% certain but I don't think a 22 year old who has finished university will qualify as your family for a PR application. they may need to make their own application.

- What has recently happened to the Canadian nursing board? I heard that it went under its only mini recession. Making lots of cut backs financially and with jobs.
I've not heard of a Canadian nursing board. (That doesn't mean it doesn't exist). Nursing in regulated at a provincial level so you need to contact the College of Registered Nurses BC https://www.crnbc.ca/Pages/Default.aspx. There are quite a few nurses in BC who post on this site so you will hopefully get some good replies.

As said above. A load of rubbish.

- The cost of living is ALOT higher compared to a large city in the UK. And wages are low compared to the living costs; even as a skilled worker (nurse).
Buying a house will seem expensive unless you come from London or the expensive areas of SE England. Renting is still relatively reasonable. With the exchange rate as it is at the moment other costs of living will not seem cheap but they are not all that much different to the UK on average. Some things, like car insurance, are very expensive but other costs make up for this.

It can seem more expensive at first, until you get to know where to go for good value. If you buy all your groceries and household stuff from Safeway, for example, you might be shocked at how much it costs. A Costco membership solves this problem as long as you have some storage space.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:45 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I beat that, so no, its not

Old system though...
I doubt you'd beat it on the new system. There is no way the OP has 90 points. You lose 10 right off the bat for not having an arranged job.

Not to mention having no french, being over 49, not having a PHD, or a partner with a PHD, or having studied in Canada etc.

Edit: The OP may mean they have 90 points on the language test...

Last edited by Alan2005; Aug 25th 2010 at 10:03 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

vancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura about

The best thing to do it to contact the Health Authorities in Vancover. With their help we moved here in about 3 months. Age isn't a factor, I have no idea about kids and pets-sorry. But if you get offered a job then timescale really isn't an issue.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:48 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I doubt you'd beat it on the new system. There is no way the OP has 90 points. You lose 10 right off the bat for not having an arranged job.

Not to mention having no french, being over 49, not having a PHD, or a partner with a PHD, or having studied in Canada etc.

Edit: The OP may mean they have 90 points on the language test...
A rough calculation

Age 51 6
Education 20 A single degree
Language 16 Assumption that the OP would not get sufficient pts. for Fr.
Experience 21
Arr. Emp. 0
Adapt. 0 Unless the OP has a relative in Canada

So she would get roughly 64 points. So to qualify, she is either going to have to have a relative in Canada worth 5 points or an approved job offer worth 10 or if neither of the above a PHD. If she waits until she is 52 to apply she will lose 2 more points.

Unless the 22 year continues in school and remains there until a visa is issued, he is no longer a dependent.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Trixie-Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

My...what alot of information!!! Now its my turn! Firstly how are you getting on with the process???

I have just begun. I have 4 years critical Care experience working all over the world now I am bk in the UK my feet are itching and it is time to set off again...CANADA is on the horizon.

I am slightly concerned tho that I will have to work as a Grad Nurse until my exams are passed...but what the hell. The only thing I am worried about is obtaining a actual job to do this Grad Nurse thingy does the Nursing Board sort this or what???

Also that fraser health some1 mentioned is useless they have no jobs! Any info would be fab...Also anyone know how electricians are with the work situation out there?? xx