Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Feelings oin the Web

Feelings oin the Web

Old Oct 3rd 2005, 2:29 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Feelings oin the Web

Received this in the chain - post from a Canadian who's son 5 year old got the non-christian winter play schedule and the question are we still having christmas Mummy?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure that most of you will understand this. If I've offended someone with this email, that is not my intent! Although I love this country, there are some things that we can improve on! This article reflects how I feel.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will we still be the Country of choice and still be Canada if we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that came to live in Canada because it is the Country of Choice??????

Think about it!

All we have to say is, when will they do something about MY RIGHTS?

I celebrate Christmas...........but because it isn't celebrated by everyone..............we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings.

It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday?

We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend anyone, that I am now being offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that.
This says it all!

This is an editorial written by an
Toronto newspaper. He did quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS,
NOT Canadians
MUST ADAPT.
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we
are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,
we have experienced a surge
in patriotism by the majority
of Canadians. However...... the dust from the attacks had
barely settled when the "politically correct! " crowd began complaining about
the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Canada
Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants.
However, there
are a few things that those
who have recently come to
our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.
This idea of Canada being a
multicultural community
has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Canadians.......
we have our own culture, our
own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH/FRENCH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
Therefore, if you wish to become part
of our society, learn the language!
"We Stand On Guard For Thee" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan.. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women.......on Christian principles.............
founded this nation..... and this is clearly documented.
It is certainly appropriate to display it
on the walls of our schools.
If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as
your new home.........because
God is part of our culture.

We
are happy with our culture and have
no desire to change, and we really
don't care how you did things where
you came from.
This is
OUR COUNTRY,
our land, and our lifestyle.
But once you are done complaining....... whining...... and griping....... about our flag.......
our pledge...... our national motto........or our
way of life....I highly encourage you to
take advantage of one other Great Canadian Freedom.......

THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

It is Time for Canada to Speak up
If you agree -- pass this along;
if you don't agree -- delete it!

AMEN

I figure if we all keep passing this to our friends
(and enemies) it will also, sooner or later
get back to the complainers, lets all try,
please
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 3:00 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feelings oin the Web

Originally Posted by Grah
Received this in the chain - post from a Canadian who's son 5 year old got the non-christian winter play schedule and the question are we still having christmas Mummy?

I'm sure that most of you will understand this. If I've offended someone with this email, that is not my intent! Although I love this country, there are some things that we can improve on! This article reflects how I feel.

Will we still be the Country of choice and still be Canada if we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that came to live in Canada because it is the Country of Choice??????

Think about it!

I celebrate Christmas...........but because it isn't celebrated by everyone..............we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings.

It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday?

We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend anyone, that I am now being offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that.
This says it all!

IMMIGRANTS,
NOT Canadians
MUST ADAPT.
are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Canada
However, there
multicultural community
has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Canadians.......
own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH/FRENCH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
"We Stand On Guard For Thee" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan.. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women.......on Christian principles.............

We
you came from.
This is
OUR COUNTRY,
But once you are done complaining....... whining...... and griping....... about our flag.......

THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

AMEN

please

That would be the Toronto Sun? I have rarely read such bollocks. Still, freedom of speech, including in the press, is enshrined in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms. As is protection from discrimination.

I thought being multi-cultural was our national identity.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 3:18 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Think about it!

This says it all!

IMMIGRANTS,
NOT Canadians
MUST ADAPT.

However, there
multicultural community

We
you came from.
This is
OUR COUNTRY,

THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

AMEN

please
Utter twaddle. You gotta love the terrorist envy though, the right so wants a bomber to notice Canada.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 3:27 pm

"We Stand On Guard For Thee" is our national motto.
No it isn't.

This journo, and I use the term loosely, isn't just a racist prat; he/she is also ignorant about Canada and would likely fail the citizenship test.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 3:36 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That would be the Toronto Sun? I have rarely read such bollocks. Still, freedom of speech, including in the press, is enshrined in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms. As is protection from discrimination.

I thought being multi-cultural was our national identity.
That is an oxymoron isn't it? 1 culture could always be offended by another.

Wouldn't the tolerance of other cultures be the national identity.

The above feeling is about where is the tolerance of the new minority to the main stream Christian events in Canada. i.e not being offended by public showing of Christmas.

Once you drive the perceived mainstream cultural identity of a country out, then people will become isolated and establish resentments towards others.
OR you end up with No Cultural identity.

Perhaps in the future we should all be identified by our culture then our nationality. Christian Canadian Jewish Canadian, Muslim Canadian, French Christian Canadian, French Jewish Canadian, French Muslim Canadian .......

My personal view is if you are offended by my beliefs then you're not being very tolerant to me, so why do you expect me to be tolerant to you?
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see what you guys have as a problem with the concept behind this article, some of it may be twaddle but the idea is sound.

Although not a major contributing factor to us moving to Canada, the political correctness back in the UK so as not to offend those who have chosen to move there has become ridiculous.

- Prosections for hanging the flag of St. George outside your house
- Pubs being prevented from having a special event to celebrate St. Georges day.
- Crucifixes being removed from crematoria
- Schools no longer doing a Christian navity play

and the list gets longer every day.

The older generations of immigrants in general think that this is political correctness gone mad, but the younger generations and those who arrive purley to sponge off the British benefits system need to understand that it is not up to their adopted country to adapt to them.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:11 pm

The above feeling is about where is the tolerance of the new minority to the main stream Christian events in Canada. i.e not being offended by public showing of Christmas.

Once you drive the perceived mainstream cultural identity of a country out, then people will become isolated and establish resentments towards others.

Perhaps in the future we should all be identified by our culture then our nationality. Christian Canadian Jewish Canadian, Muslim Canadian, French Christian Canadian, French Jewish Canadian, French Muslim Canadian .......

My personal view is if you are offended by my beliefs then you're not being very tolerant to me, so why do you expect me to be tolerant to you?
So what, exactly is this "mainstream cultural identity"? I don't see many cultural similarities between long-established Newfs, pure-laine Quebeckers, or the "real" Canadian communities out west. Except that we are all Canadians.

It is not disputable that a small minority of "other ethnics" have been able to force through changes. That is the fault of small "l" Liberal government and a generally lazy/apathetic Canadian population. We all have the right to speak out. Some do. Some don't bother, preferring to moan about what happens.

As for Christmas, why should it be such a big deal? The early Christian church hijacked it from the pagans. It's got SFA to do with Christianity or the birth of Christ.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:19 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Think about it!

This says it all!

IMMIGRANTS,
NOT Canadians
MUST ADAPT.

However, there
multicultural community

We
you came from.
This is
OUR COUNTRY,

THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

AMEN

please

What a load for B *****ing S.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
What a load for B *****ing S.

That's what I originally meant to say. Excellent analysis on your part.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:45 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Posidrive
I really don't see what you guys have as a problem with the concept behind this article, some of it may be twaddle but the idea is sound.

Although not a major contributing factor to us moving to Canada, the political correctness back in the UK so as not to offend those who have chosen to move there has become ridiculous.

- Prosections for hanging the flag of St. George outside your house
- Pubs being prevented from having a special event to celebrate St. Georges day.
- Crucifixes being removed from crematoria
- Schools no longer doing a Christian navity play

and the list gets longer every day.

The older generations of immigrants in general think that this is political correctness gone mad, but the younger generations and those who arrive purley to sponge off the British benefits system need to understand that it is not up to their adopted country to adapt to them.
The flag of St. George is, of course, the symbol of the far right in the UK, it's a specifically racist emblem.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:58 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

I am personally offended by Christmas, the festival of consumerism, but civic Canada is not. I suppose the article dates from the time when that twat Layton wanted to ban Christmas trees from Nathan Phillips Square, that fad passed, along with Toronto being a nuclear weapon free zone. Now you can celebrate most any cultural festival in the square.

I don't know that "main stream Christian events" is fair, btw. I very much doubt that a majority of Canadians consider themselves to be Christians.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

The flag of St George is the flag of England...NOT the UK

Originally Posted by dbd
The flag of St. George is, of course, the symbol of the far right in the UK, it's a specifically racist emblem.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:12 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by skigordi
The flag of St George is the flag of England...NOT the UK
It's the flag of the BNP now though, innit?
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

I doubt you will see many Scots lining up behind it even if it is

Originally Posted by dbd
It's the flag of the BNP now though, innit?
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd
Regardless of that it is still the English flag. Nobody complains when our neighbours a few doors down (back in the UK) fly the American flag. The far right bigots should not be allowed to sully the expressions of the more patriotic amongst us who are pround to be English. Nobody raises an eyebrow about St. Patrick's day celebrations.

Also when we have the football (proper version where you spend most of the time kicking the ball) world cup in the (increasingly unlikely) event that we qualify as England rather than Britain, are they going to stop us flying the flag. Even if it may be at half mast when we loose

Also, don't get me wrong by highlighting these English issues. We will integrate into Canadian society but we will always keep our English heritage whilest not trying to impose our previous way of life on Canada. Just how it should be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.