Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Favourite Job Hunting Resources/sites

Favourite Job Hunting Resources/sites

Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Cornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to all
Default Re: Favourite Job Hunting Resources/sites

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Congratulations.

What you will need is an ECA (Educational Credential Assessment). It's a process whereby a recognised body go over the degree and equate it to a Canadian qualification. Assuming you pass ECA (no reason why you shouldn't as long as the degree is legit) then as far as the CIC are concerned you're as good as a Canadian graduate.

I did mine through WES who are the most popular option because they're the cheapest and tend to be a bit more generous than some of the others when it comes to certifying extra qualifications that you might have on top of the degree (e.g. HND's, HNC's, Foundation Degrees, CertHE's, PGCerts etc).

The process is outlined here: Apply now for a WES credential evaluation

Essentially your partner will register online and pay the fee and then send photocopies of his degree certificate to WES. Unfortunately the statement is no use when it comes to this. You can't kick this process off until the degree has been formally conferred and sent to him in the post.

You then need to request a certified transcript which will be sent to WES directly from the OU. They have a department who deal with this and the request from you goes to [email protected]. They'll just need your WES reference and the address, not much else from you. The OU handle these requests all the time so they'll know exactly what to do. WES won't accept a transcript copy from you.

Once all that's in you just wait a month or two to be assessed and certified by WES and then that's it.
Thank you - that's fabulously clear. I hadn't quite appreciated that we'd have to wait for the certificate to actually arrive... More time...

I really appreciate your help - thank you
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:04 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Just one more thing to add too. WES will verify everything you have at no extra charge up to 10 qualifications (I think) so if he has received any other certificates from the OU then bung those in the ECA application as well as the degree.

Neither WES nor the OU will mind you doing this and some of those lower-level higher education certificates can be worth some pretty decent CRA points.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornfedapache
Thank you - that's fabulously clear. I hadn't quite appreciated that we'd have to wait for the certificate to actually arrive... More time...

I really appreciate your help - thank you
No worries. Honestly, throughout this process be prepared to wait a lot. You will likely spend as much time waiting for things as you will actually doing stuff so patience is really a virtue.

When I went to the OU with this they knew exactly what to do which surprised me because I was expected to have to talk them through it and worry about something being done wrong. They also don't charge you a penny for doing it either unlike a lot of other universities in the UK who will charge you 40 quid or more for the exact same thing.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Cornfedapache
Just twigged - WES is the company not an acronym for an educational assessment...
D'oh.
WES is a company (although I think their Canadian section is actually a profit-making arm/affiliate of Toronto University). The process itself is called an ECA in Canada.

There are a few other companies who do it, some of whom are faster than WES but I think they're also more expensive. For that reason WES tend to be the most popular option.

If time is really of the essence for you and money is less important then you can apply with multiple ECA providers if you want to and just use whichever certifies you first. Just don't try to claim points from 2 ECA's for the same degree (believe it or not, it seems that others have actually tried to do that in the past).
Old Sep 16th 2017, 8:08 am
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Cornfedapache

I was just wondering how things were going for you? Have you had any luck finding a job?

The reason I ask (other than hoping it all worked for you ok) is that I'm currently hoping to move to Canada. We'll be moving for my husband's job, which is ticking along VERY slowly, but when we get there, I'll need to get a job and I work in marketing and communications too. So was just wondering how you were finding the market?

Thanks