Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Favorite cities/towns in Canada?!!

Favorite cities/towns in Canada?!!

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:34 am
Banned

changoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Favorite cities/towns in Canada?!!

I would love to hear from you all about favorite cities/towns in Canada and any and all info you have time to share about life for expats in Canada.
Thanks so much
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all
Default Re: Favorite cities/towns in Canada?!!

Originally Posted by changoo
I would love to hear from you all about favorite cities/towns in Canada and any and all info you have time to share about life for expats in Canada.
Thanks so much
I was born and raised in Calgary, but my fav city in Western Canada is by far Vancouver. It's got the best of both worlds - mountains and sea. And it doesn't get as cold there in the winter either!

I've never been to Eastern Canada (besides Ottawa once, briefly) so don't really know what it's like. Oh, hang on - I did visit Toronto a few times, it's quite nice too (in a cosmopolitan kind of way), but I definitely prefer Vancouver!

Out of all the Canadian cities, I know that overall Vancouver appeals to many Brits! You'll find that there are loads of them there!!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Each city/town in Canada have their distinctive qualities just as cities/towns in the UK have.

Personally I have lived in Ottawa since we arrived in Canada in 1963. I haven't visited to many western cities but did consider retiring to Victoria, but felt it would be too remote from our family.

Ottawa is a mid size city ( about 1 million) and is a great place for bring up a family. It's also close to a wide variety of places to visit within a days drive, from Montreal to Washington DC.

We do have a colder winter but one that has rarely caused the chaos that occurs in the UK when a little snow falls. In my 30 years of working in Ottawa I was never unable to get into work because of road conditions due to snow storms. Summers tend to be warmer than in the west and there are great places around Ottawa for day trips and vacations. Also there are lots of great festivals all year round.

These last 47 years in Ottawa have been more satisfying than the 33 years I spent in the UK.

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&bi...ed=0CCgQsAQwAA

Last edited by Keith; Dec 2nd 2010 at 1:34 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:02 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Vancouver and Victoria.....Toronto's not bad either.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Vancouver is a spectacular city without a doubt......
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:06 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strawberry
Vancouver is a spectacular city without a doubt......
One of the best drives I love to do in the world is the drive from Niagara Falls to Niagara-on-the-lake.

You go past the natural whirl pool and then down the narrow road past the huge power plant, the picturesque golf course and then step back in time driving past the most amazing houses. All of this with that lake back drop and the US on the otherside.

Last edited by JamesM; Dec 2nd 2010 at 5:06 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
One of the best drives I love to do in the world is the drive from Niagara Falls to Niagara-on-the-lake.
That's quite pleasant. However, you might want to look at the Cabot Trail, the Pacific Coast Highway, the road through the Outer Banks, Miami to Key West over the bridges, the Natchez Trail and most of the roads through canyons in the South-West; coming into Sedona is one such treat.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JamesM

You go past the natural whirl pool and then down the narrow road past the huge power plant, the picturesque golf course and then step back in time driving past the most amazing houses. All of this with that lake back drop and the US on the otherside.
Or how abouts the Sea to sky highway................
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:35 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's quite pleasant. However, you might want to look at the Cabot Trail, the Pacific Coast Highway, the road through the Outer Banks, Miami to Key West over the bridges, the Natchez Trail and most of the roads through canyons in the South-West; coming into Sedona is one such treat.
lived in Miami, done the keys.....ok, PCH is great, nothing compared to the sea to sky highway.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
nothing compared to the sea to sky highway.
Is that the road up to Whistler? If so, it was nice, yes. See also the Million Dollar Highway to Ouray.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:46 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

most of the roads through canyons in the South-West; coming into Sedona is one such treat.
That would be Oak Creek Canyon which runs from just south of Flagstaff. Sadly, coming into Sedona isn't much better than driving along Dundas Street in Mississauga these days. Development is rampant and although there remains the beauty of the red rocks it has been spoiled by commercialization.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
That would be Oak Creek Canyon which runs from just south of Flagstaff. Sadly, coming into Sedona isn't much better than driving along Dundas Street in Mississauga these days. Development is rampant and although there remains the beauty of the red rocks it has been spoiled by commercialization.
I liked it in April. I've always liked it and think it's an excellent example of sensible zoning laws keeping development in check; note the very many adobe buildings. I'm aware, of course, of the snobbery against the place and that I should have nominated Moab instead so has to have more 'cred but Moab doesn't have glowing rocks as you approach.

On edit: I was thinking of Schnebley Hill Road rather than going through Oak Creek Canyon. While I disagree with idea that the main road looks anything like the hell that is Mississauga it is rather more developed.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 2nd 2010 at 6:03 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:55 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

All on the "to do" list. Have not done any driving state side.

I did enjoy driving around the villages of Alba in Southwest France- although it's very easy to get lost even with satellite navigation!

But I do like that Niagara drive- a nice 20-30 minutes.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:06 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I liked it in April. I've always liked it and think it's an excellent example of sensible zoning laws keeping development in check; note the very many adobe buildings. I'm aware, of course, of the snobbery against the place and that I should have nominated Moab instead so has to have more 'cred but Moab doesn't have glowing rocks as you approach.
Snobbery against Sedona ! I haven't heard that before.
Maob may not have glowing rocks as you approach but it does have lots of superb places close by. Arches National Park, Canyonlands N.P. Capitol Reef N.P and one of my favorite spots, the little known Dead Horse Point State Park. There's a shot of it in my gallery.
In fact just about anywhere below I 70 and east of I 15 is gob smackingly beautiful. Some beautiful drives.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Snobbery against Sedona ! I haven't heard that before.
A former partner grew up in southern Utah, her parents live now in Grand Junction CO and her relatives all over the south-west; one's a tyre changer for Costco in Prescott, several live in Phoenix. I went hiking with the gang of them a number of times, the GC, the Chicago Basin, Arches in winter, several ghost towns. They generally hated Sedona and the population thereof; it being occupied by drug crazed communist new age eastern gun-control hippy types. That Frank Lloyd Wright being the start of it.

Anyway, on topic, Quebec City is pretty.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 2nd 2010 at 6:18 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.