Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fao; new arrivals wanting credit on TWP...

Fao; new arrivals wanting credit on TWP...

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:32 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fao; new arrivals wanting credit on TWP...

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Did you pay your UK car loan off in the end - or could that be something to do with it?
No, like I said, the issue is with our temporary status / SIN number starting with 9.

My car in the UK was sold privately and paid off. Not that it's any of your business, mind.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

We landed as PR's & even with a $10,000 deposit on a used 2006 car we couldn't get finance. So be bought the car outright Also had to pay $2,000 security deposit for a $1000 credit card with HSBC. Have excellent credit in the UK with my credit card limits over £20,000GBP on each (don't even use them anymore).

Just cannot understand how we couldn't get finance on a car, yet no problem borrowing $300,000 for a mortgage!! I know they are both different in many ways as the bank owns the house etc but still............
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 10:54 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
No, like I said, the issue is with our temporary status / SIN number starting with 9.

My car in the UK was sold privately and paid off. Not that it's any of your business, mind.
Really no need for that attitude. Biink was merely looking at possibilities for your issues.

Perhaps next time she will just let you wallow. Well, knowing Biink she won't.... but I would.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 10:56 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracie107
We landed as PR's & even with a $10,000 deposit on a used 2006 car we couldn't get finance. So be bought the car outright Also had to pay $2,000 security deposit for a $1000 credit card with HSBC. Have excellent credit in the UK with my credit card limits over £20,000GBP on each (don't even use them anymore).

Just cannot understand how we couldn't get finance on a car, yet no problem borrowing $300,000 for a mortgage!! I know they are both different in many ways as the bank owns the house etc but still............
Sometimes can be like that, they will lend you a mortgage but the same bank will want a credit balance held as security for a small credit card. You never know.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 11:43 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Why not sell the car privately then? I still doubt it is to do with your SIN number.

Ooh and that was a bit snippy towards Biiiink. If your don't want people to ask questions you might not like the sound of - don't post on here.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Why not sell the car privately then? I still doubt it is to do with your SIN number.

Ooh and that was a bit snippy towards Biiiink. If your don't want people to ask questions you might not like the sound of - don't post on here.
You dont know the history to her question so perhaps get your facts straight first.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:34 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

You dont know the history to her question so perhaps get your facts straight first.
Ooh touchy...have a mince pie and chill out.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:47 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Enlighten us.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Enlighten us.
He makes it sound like a secret - Jericho announced in this public thread on the forum that he intended to leave his car loan in the UK unpaid and do a runner. I was particularly surprised at that as he'd just negotiated himself an extra 5K CAD salary with the forum's advice (not mine, I thought it was unwise to even ask but was proved wrong) so he had unexpected cash to hand.

The irony of someone who was going to default on their car loan and do a runner, having trouble convincing car loan financiers in Canada that he was a good risk and wouldn't do a runner (because of his temp status in the country) wasn't lost on me... I wondered if that had something to do with his current situation. At a karma level if nothing else!

Still, he says he paid it off so that's me told, eh?

Last edited by Biiiiink; Dec 23rd 2008 at 1:06 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:17 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

He makes it sound like a secret - Jericho announced in this public thread on the forum that he intended to leave his car loan in the UK unpaid and do a runner. I was particularly surprised at that as he'd just negotiated himself an extra 5K CAD salary with the forum's advice (not mine, I thought it was unwise to even ask but was proved wrong) so he had unexpected cash to hand.

The irony of someone who was going to default on their car loan and do a runner, having trouble convincing car loan financiers in Canada that he was a good risk and wouldn't do a runner (because of his temp status in the country) wasn't lost on me... I wondered if that had something to do with his current situation. At a karma level if nothing else!

I am enlightened. I remember it now.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:42 pm

Yeah that told you...naughty girl for remembering a previous post...
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

I didn't think you could leave the UK with unpaid debts! OK, I know many people do but I thought there was some sort of agreement between Canada & UK that they can chase/claim these unpaid debts..............eventually?
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracie107
I didn't think you could leave the UK with unpaid debts! OK, I know many people do but I thought there was some sort of agreement between Canada & UK that they can chase/claim these unpaid debts..............eventually?
There is but some are happy to take a chance
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:15 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

When we left the UK we thought we had paid off all our bills so cancelled our direct debits 6 weeks after our move to Canada. Unaware to us, both BT and Scottish Gas submitted a further DD for small amounts (under 30 GBP each) but of course our bank would not pay out.

Around 6 months later we received letters from a UK debt collecting agency because they had sold the debt on. Now, we never told BT or Scottish Gas of our new address in Canada because we didn't know where we were going to live after staying in temp accommodation so I don't know how the debt collecting agency knew where we were but considering this computerized world we live in it's not that hard to track you down I suppose.

We were horrified that we had unintentionally left debt as we would never ever choose to do that. We eventually got the matter sorted out with both BT and British Gas but what a lot of stress it caused us for less than 60 quid.

Last edited by Cookie; Dec 23rd 2008 at 5:22 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:36 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
When we left the UK we thought we had paid off all our bills so cancelled our direct debits 6 weeks after our move to Canada. Unaware to us, both BT and Scottish Gas submitted a further DD for small amounts (under 30 GBP each) but of course our bank would not pay out.

Around 6 months later we received letters from a UK debt collecting agency because they had sold the debt on. Now, we never told BT or Scottish Gas of our new address in Canada because we didn't know where we were going to live after staying in temp accommodation so I don't know how the debt collecting agency knew where we were but considering this computerized world we live in it's not that hard to track you down I suppose.

We were horrified that we had unintentionally left debt as we would never ever choose to do that. We eventually got the matter sorted out with both BT and British Gas but what a lot of stress it caused us for less than 60 quid.
We had a similar situation with overpaid child allowance. We eventually got told how much extra we had been paid and sent HR Government a cheque a few weeks ago. I think all the postage eventually cost more than we owed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.