Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Famous Canadians

Famous Canadians

Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

bart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Famous Canadians

Originally Posted by willmore
Hate to admit it but Ive never really heard of her before!
Interesting - maybe she was just popular in the UK (for a time) but not so much in Canada?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bart2804
Interesting - maybe she was just popular in the UK (for a time) but not so much in Canada?
Ha! The Canadian content laws mean that any Canadian act you've heard of has been played to death here.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

bart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ha! The Canadian content laws mean that any Canadian act you've heard of has been played to death here.
what are 'content laws'?

I hope I'm not moving to South Africa C. 1963
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

liz&jon has much to be proud ofliz&jon has much to be proud ofliz&jon has much to be proud ofliz&jon has much to be proud ofliz&jon has much to be proud ofliz&jon has much to be proud ofliz&jon has much to be proud ofliz&jon has much to be proud ofliz&jon has much to be proud ofliz&jon has much to be proud ofliz&jon has much to be proud of

Exhaustive thinking has led me to believe there are only 5 famous Canadians:-

Ben Johnson
Keanu Reeves
Avril Lavigne
Bryan Adams
Samantha (the platinum blonde from Sex in the City - real name ?)

As a rule of thumb they have to be recognisable everywhere, so Wayne Gretzky, for example, won't count; known in Canada, unheard of here

nickelback are pretty famous canadians .....and pretty damn good as a band as well
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Exhaustive thinking has led me to believe there are only 5 famous Canadians:-

Ben Johnson
Keanu Reeves
Avril Lavigne
Bryan Adams

As a rule of thumb they have to be recognisable everywhere, so Wayne Gretzky, for example, won't count; known in Canada, unheard of here

i thought she was born in the UK? when she was on UK TV she kept on going on about how shes British lol hmmm then when shes in canada shes Canadian and then in the US she just goes on like shes an american (like most Famous CDN'S in the US)
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

what are 'content laws'?

I hope I'm not moving to South Africa C. 1963
There is a legal requirement that Canadian radio and television stations play/show a certain amount of locally produced material. I'm not sure what the percentage is but, since there aren't many Canadian records, the few that are ok are played very hard indeed and even the ones that are bad get an airing. Canadian radio stations actually play both Celine Dion and Shania Twain.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

There is a legal requirement that Canadian radio and television stations play/show a certain amount of locally produced material. I'm not sure what the percentage is but, since there aren't many Canadian records, the few that are ok are played very hard indeed and even the ones that are bad get an airing. Canadian radio stations actually play both Celine Dion and Shania Twain.
yep Celine And shania are on everyday here
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by celine_uk
i thought she was born in the UK? when she was on UK TV she kept on going on about how shes British lol hmmm then when shes in canada shes Canadian and then in the US she just goes on like shes an american (like most Famous CDN'S in the US)
I think her real name is Kim Catrell or something similarish?

You are right - born in the UK, but in the press here she seems to represent herself as Canadian, I wonder why
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think her real name is Kim Catrell or something similarish?

You are right - born in the UK, but in the press here she seems to represent herself as Canadian, I wonder why
lol they'll label anyone CDN if their Famous, like that stupid commercial

For Paris Hilton on muchmoremusic, saying "I love Canada" WHATEVER, and they keep on playing it over and over again arrrrr
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

What a duff law! It's like something out of a 1960's UK protectionist TUC conference!

If the UK introduced a law to ensure media / radio / tv coverage had to be a certain % localised you would be laughed at big style
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:17 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know :

Evangeline Lilly (Kate in Lost)

Sum 41

Dan Ackroyd

Brendan Fraser

Eugene Levy

Howie Mandel

Rick Moranis

Matthew Perry
I'm with you on most of them but surely you know who Dan Ackroyd is (Blues Brothers). You must certainly have accidentaly tuned into Friends (Matthew Perry).

Why do Canadian slebs have such nerdy names?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

What a duff law! It's like something out of a 1960's UK protectionist TUC conference!

If the UK introduced a law to ensure media / radio / tv coverage had to be a certain % localised you would be laughed at big style
The concern is that, without such a law, Canadian TV stations would show only US content and there'd be no outlet for Canadian culture. It makes no sense to me as I cannot tell the difference between Canadian and US culture but, whatever subtle difference there is, it seems to be important to Canadians.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I'm with you on most of them but surely you know who Dan Ackroyd is (Blues Brothers). You must certainly have accidentaly tuned into Friends (Matthew Perry).

Why do Canadian slebs have such nerdy names?
I saw, and enjoyed, the Blues Brothers when it came out but that was ages ago, I don't remember who was in it. I have seen bits of Friends but it's so desperately unfunny that, if I knew one of the actors to be English, I'd deny it.

Alan Thicke is a famous Canadian not yet mentioned.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

The concern is that, without such a law, Canadian TV stations would show only US content and there'd be no outlet for Canadian culture. It makes no sense to me as I cannot tell the difference between Canadian and US culture but, whatever subtle difference there is, it seems to be important to Canadians.
I see your point but this law is bizarre; it's like saying I would have to listen / watch bagpipe music & / or speak Gaelic for a period every day because my country isn't confident enough we can look after our own culture?

What ?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:38 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

You know what the real irony of this thread is….

There are a lot of famous Canadians… many already named

But just how much of the world actually knows their Canadian ..!!

My guess is 90% of the world assumes they’re American !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.