British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Famous Canadians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/famous-canadians-363340/)

dbd33 Mar 24th 2006 4:22 pm

Re: Famous Canadians

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
See inside

Oh, they're in the weak comedy genre. What an awful show Friends was.

cov-canuck Mar 24th 2006 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
Who are we talking about here - Pamela or Paris?

Paris

dbd33 Mar 24th 2006 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by bart2804
Margaret Atwood - yep.

Romeo Dallaire - never heard of, & I read a lot!

He wrote a book "Shake Hands with the Devil" about the Rwandan massacres, he was a bigshot there for the UN. It's astonishingly badly written, barely coherent but oddly compelling for all that. He's writing about chaos and confusion so writing in a foreign language makes a kind of sense.

Judy in Calgary Mar 24th 2006 4:27 pm

Avril Lavigne

Had never heard of her. Had to do a Google search to find out who she was.

dbd33 Mar 24th 2006 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Had never heard of her. Had to do a Google search to find out who she was.

Her house in Toronto was offered for sale a couple of weeks ago, she lives in LA now. So little happened that day that it was the lead item on the CBC radio news.

bart2804 Mar 24th 2006 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I guess the list depends whether you confine it to live people or are allowed to include dead people. Anyway, some that come to mind:

Frederick Banting, dead scientist who co-discovered insulin

Dan Aykroyd, actor

John Candy, dead actor

Jim Carrey, actor

Michael J. Fox, actor

Lorne Green, dead actor

Jack Warner, dead, co-founder of Warner Brothers

Samuel Cunard, dead, founder of the Cunard Line

Bernie Ebbers, disgraced founder of WorldCom

Peter Jennings, dead, until quite recently anchor of ABC News

Robert MacNeil, for many years co-anchor of the MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour (now the Jim Lehrer News Hour)

Morely Safer, journalist on 60 Minutes

Burton Cummings, lead singer of "The Guess Who"

Paul Anka, musician

Leonard Cohen, author, poet, singer (composer of "Suzanne")

Margot Kidder, played Louis Lane in "Superman"

Kate Nelligan, actor

Mary Pickford, dead actor

Saul Bellow, Nobel Laureate (still alive, as far as I know, at the age of 91)

Marshall McLuhan, dead author (coined the phrases "global village" and "the medium is the message")

Lucy Maude Montgomery, dead author of "Anne of Green Gables"

William Stephenson, dead spy ("A Man Called Intrepid")

Lester B. Pearson, dead winner of the 1957 Nobel Peace Prize

Norman Bethune, dead doctor, saved lives during the Chinese Revolution

Thx for the reply!

I now know who Toronto's main airport is named after - which I genuinely did not know; do you know what 'ol Lester won his gong for?

A few of the names still unrecgnosiable though:-

Morely Safer - what a great name but unheard of in the UK (60 minutes?)

Kate Nelligan - what films was she in? :rolleyes:

willmore Mar 24th 2006 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Her house in Toronto was offered for sale a couple of weeks ago, she lives in LA now. So little happened that day that it was the lead item on the CBC radio news.

She's a singer or something right?

dbd33 Mar 24th 2006 4:32 pm

She is indeed a singer, pride of Nepanee or Napenee or somewhere.

Athome Mar 24th 2006 4:33 pm

How exactly do you define 'world famous'? I mean being known in Canada and the UK by the average person doesn't seem like enough to me. Someone like Kofi Annan might actually be pretty well known throughout the world but I'm not even sure what his nationality is.

It's also interesting that the majority of people named so far are actors or singers (not many of them are actually musicians). What does that say about modern day interests?

World famous can also very by time. For example the name of the Canadian Ambassador that saved the Americans in Iran when the Iatolla stormed the American Embassy in Tiran was no doubt world famous for a week or so at the time. Can anyone name him now without resorting to Google? So how long does someone have to be world famous for in order to make the list?

This post reminds me of all the unknown outside of the UK bands, who having played in 6 bars in New Jersey once, are offered up as being world famous by Brits in say Manchester, with the phrase, 'they toured the USA'.

World famous really just depends on your own little world I suppose.

dbd33 Mar 24th 2006 4:34 pm

Trudeau. Pierre Elliot. Politician. Magaret. Party girl.

dbd33 Mar 24th 2006 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Athome
How exactly do you define 'world famous'? I mean being known in Canada and the UK by the average person doesn't seem like enough to me. Someone like Kofi Annan might actually be pretty well known throughout the world but I'm not even sure what his nationality is.

It's also interesting that the majority of people named so far are actors or singers (not many of them are actually musicians). What does that say about modern day interests?

World famous can also very by time. For example the name of the Canadian Ambassador that saved the Americans in Iran when the Iatolla stormed the American Embassy in Tiran was no doubt world famous for a week or so at the time. Can anyone name him now without resorting to Google? So how long does someone have to be world famous for in order to make the list?

This post reminds me of all the unknown outside of the UK bands, who having played in 6 bars in New Jersey once, are offered up as being world famous by Brits in say Manchester, with the phrase, 'they toured the USA'.

World famous really just depends on your own little world I suppose.

The reason I posted Pamela Anderson separately from my list of nominees is that she transcends time and locality, she is famous around the world and, thanks to technology and e-bay, she will last forever.

willmore Mar 24th 2006 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
The reason I posted Pamela Anderson separately from my list of nominees is that she transcends time and locality, she is famous around the world and, thanks to technology and e-bay, she will last forever.

Isnt that why they invented silicone? :D

bart2804 Mar 24th 2006 4:45 pm

Avril was quite popular in the UK a few years ago.

Her album 'Let Go' sold lots and the singles 'Complicated' / Sk8er Boi / and 'I'm with you' also sold very well.

Not heard much from her recently 'though ;)

willmore Mar 24th 2006 4:45 pm

Avril was quite popular in the UK a few years ago.

Her album 'Let Go' sold lots and the singles 'Complicated' / Sk8er Boi / and 'I'm with you' also sold very well.

Not heard much from her recently 'though ;)

Hate to admit it but Ive never really heard of her before!

dbd33 Mar 24th 2006 4:49 pm

Isnt that why they invented silicone? :D

Indeed, I saw that used bits of Jordan were being offered for sale recently but I don't know what she got for her unplants.