Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Family trucking thinking of moving to Canada. Help needed

Family trucking thinking of moving to Canada. Help needed

Old May 5th 2010, 5:23 am
Just Joined

BigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really nice
Default Family trucking thinking of moving to Canada. Help needed

Hi all,

Im an english trucker with a fiancee and two kids, thinking about moving to canada to live and work. Im in the early stages of researching the move and weighing up the pros and cons. Any advice will be very helpful and will all come in handy. Which ways are best to gain visas, where is best to live for our kids (age 4 and 5) in terms of schools and areas of plentyful hgv class 1 jobs.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

fedupgb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family trucking thinking of moving to Canada. Help needed

Have a look on the trucking section, there is plenty of advise there
Old May 5th 2010, 5:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the forum. This Wiki article may help - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada

Old May 5th 2010, 6:02 am
Just Joined

BigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really niceBigRob11 is just really nice

Thankyou, very much appreciated
Old May 5th 2010, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Hate to sound dumb but where is the trucking section?
Old May 5th 2010, 7:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118
Old May 5th 2010, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice

Originally Posted by BigRob11
Hi all,

Im an english trucker with a fiancee and two kids, thinking about moving to canada to live and work. Im in the early stages of researching the move and weighing up the pros and cons. Any advice will be very helpful and will all come in handy. Which ways are best to gain visas, where is best to live for our kids (age 4 and 5) in terms of schools and areas of plentyful hgv class 1 jobs.
click on my name and go to my home page. My company is looking for drivers. all the details are there. reading my blog will give you a good insight also. good luck
Old May 5th 2010, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

hi im just wondering where is the best place 2 live in canada and is there alot of things for young kids to do
Old May 6th 2010, 12:18 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

hi im just wondering where is the best place 2 live in canada and is there alot of things for young kids to do
That is the most often asked and difficult to answer question. It depends upon what you are looking for and a million other factors. I'd suggest researching some more and asking more specific questions such as "What's it like to live in XXXXX, is there anything for kids to do?'. You'll get more sensible answers.

Failing that: Iqualuit and yes, chasing polar bears.
Old May 6th 2010, 12:43 am
Just Joined

do u see alot of the nasty wild life its just i have a problem being attacked o eaten alive lol are the schools good and this might sound dumb but do u pay for your kids to go to school
Old May 6th 2010, 12:46 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

do u see alot of the nasty wild life its just i have a problem being attacked o eaten alive lol are the schools good and this might sound dumb but do u pay for your kids to go to school
Again does who? My experience in Newfoundland will be different from someone's experience in New Brunswick or Ontario or Vancouver etc. In fact my experience in my corner of the province I live in will be different from someone who lives 100km away. You have to ask specific questions to get meaningful answers.

For where I live: No I'm not afraid of being eaten alive by anything except blackflie in early summer. Moose are a problem on the road though. The schools are OK and I don't have to pay as a PR. If you are on a work permit then things might differ.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

where is the best place to buy house hold furniture dont mind traveling or is there any sites i can look at so i can price it all up
Old May 6th 2010, 8:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

where is the best place to buy house hold furniture dont mind traveling or is there any sites i can look at so i can price it all up
You're jumping the gun just a tad! You first need to try and find a job offer, a LMO, and then get a Temp Work Permit. Once you know which province you'll be working in, then you can worry about things like where to live and buy furniture.

Good furniture is expensive in Canada, so you'd probably be best shipping your own over anyway as it's usually cheaper in the end. But people can't give you answers on where to buy furniture until you know whereabouts you'll be in Canada - no point giving you the name of a good store in Vancouver if you'll be in New Brunswick!!

Once you've got a job offer & LMO, then you can worry about the finer details.

Old May 6th 2010, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

yes but i only want 2 look an see if there furniture is better than ours there is no harm in lookin on the web sites
Old May 6th 2010, 8:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

yes but i only want 2 look an see if there furniture is better than ours there is no harm in lookin on the web sites
Furniture is the same as furniture here, just more expensive for good stuff generally speaking.

You can easily Google and find websites, but obviously if you find a website that is for a furniture chain in BC, they may not deliver to or cover the province you end up moving to anyway! Canada is a vast country, and each province very different, with different chains of shops, restaurants etc. So it really will depend on where you move to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.