Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Family separation

Family separation

Old Oct 19th 2018, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Mattd77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family separation

just wondering if anyone has experience of what my wife and I are facing.

my wife (Canadian) has her Uk visa expiring soon and as we are planning to move back to Canada in the new year anyway, we are considering her and the children (dual citizens) heading over there rather than paying for the indefinite leave to remain visa here for essentially a month or two.

it would mean we are apart for 3 months whilst I sell the house and get work out my notice here.

we can do it but the idea of being apart from my wife and kids for three months is killing me. I could probably get out there once a month for a few days but still.

anyone been through similar?
Old Oct 19th 2018, 10:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family separation

Originally Posted by Mattd77

my wife (Canadian) has her Uk visa expiring soon and as we are planning to move back to Canada in the new year anyway, we are considering her and the children (dual citizens) heading over there rather than paying for the indefinite leave to remain visa here for essentially a month or two.

it would mean we are apart for 3 months whilst I sell the house and get work out my notice here.

we can do it but the idea of being apart from my wife and kids for three months is killing me. I could probably get out there once a month for a few days but still.

Lots of people do it. Spouses live for many monthsin different countries while waiting for spouse visas to be processed. My partner and I are actually planning something similar to what you are , only it will be from Australia to Canada , so I won't be hopping on a plane every month to visit. We see it as a few months out of years of living together.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 10:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to our lovely virtual group of ex-pats - welcome to BE!

It's a tough one, to be sure - but could I make one little suggestion? Do consider applying for British Citizenship for your wife, if she is near to qualifying - one day your kids might decide to relocate to the UK.. and you might get the opportunity of a lifetime back there - or just need to return for a lengthy time for some reason.. and much easier for her to obtain it before you leave the UK rather than struggle to qualify to be able to be there for more than a few months.

Otherwise, you could also consider putting the house up for sale now - there is never a right time to do it - and the sooner it's listed, the sooner you are a step closer to relocating to Canada as a family. You could move across sooner rather than later, under dual intent if necessary.

Just adding in here - you mentioned in another thread that it's the intention to fly to Canada and THEN get your children's passports etc., - if they are dual citizens they have to travel on Canadian Passports. Best get the citizenship certificates and get their passports sorted! Without them, any thoughts of moving across early are mute.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...hip/about.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ren/apply.html
You can apply for their proof of Citizenship and Passports at the London High Commission: https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emba...united-kingdom
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 20th 2018 at 12:53 am.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 10:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

....we are considering her and the children (dual citizens) heading over there rather than paying for the indefinite leave to remain visa here for essentially a month or two.

How does the cost of the visa compare to the cost of you visiting two or three times? Is winter a good time for them to move? Is it easier to sell the house with just you occupying?

My wife and I were apart but very different circumstances...and it was a bit illogical in a way.

Ours was a long distance relationship, lots of visits but she was in Canada and I was in the UK. I was coming over every couple of months for 2 weeks at a time. We got married on one of my trips and I returned home to tart up my house so ready to sell, with a view to coming over permanently when that was done. But a month later it became clear she wasn't doing well even though the absence then had been shorter than the others.

So I packed everything in, gave my mother Power of Attorney to sell the house and came over. Could you do something like that with a family member or friend?
Old Oct 19th 2018, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I were apart for a period of several months when he and our daughter went down to NZ from October one year to July the next year. I went down there for a 2 month holiday from early December to end of January. So we were apart for 2½ months, and then for 6 months.

We had probably been married much longer than you, our daughter was 18 and taking a gap year, but it worked out well .......... even though it was before the days of email, FB, Skype, etc etc.

It added to the collection of letters that I have from the 5½ months that we were apart between getting engaged and getting married.

If your relationship is strong, there is no problem, it will just become stronger!
Old Oct 20th 2018, 1:27 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Did it for many years, up to 6 months at a time, with a month home for a fer years, more latterly it was down to a week or so and a few days home. You get used to it.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

We did it for two years. My husband became a PR about 18 months before me and the kids. We managed with visits. It was tough on the younger girl. Then even after becoming a PR myself I had to go back and finish a work contract.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

We did it for about 5 months. The kids were 6 and nearly 5 at the time. It wasn't easy, but my husband managed to visit about once a month, or at least every 6 weeks. It wasn't great, but we survived. Lots of tearful airport goodbyes, but we knew the end was in sight. I agree with Siouxie's suggestion that your wife apply for British citizenship if possible before you move. If you ever change your mind and want to move back to the UK, it will be so much easier if she is a citizen. I did it because I didn't like the idea that my children could legally live somewhere and I couldn't since my Indefinite Leave to Remain would have expired 2 years after I left the UK. We've planned to permanently live in Canada, but anything could happen with my husband's job and we could end up back in the UK at some point.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 3:11 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joseph007
i am good.
Glad to hear it, you had me worried there for a sec.
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 11:56 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did 6 months here before family followed.

Didn't enjoy it but the time passes.

Probably wouldn't do it again.