Reload this Page >

Faking laughter to blend with Canadian humour

Faking laughter to blend with Canadian humour

Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Paul in Calgary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Faking laughter to blend with Canadian humour

Originally Posted by TheBear
Listen...I don't like canadian comedy that much, and some British comedy is amazing, but from what I remember before leaving (last year) the standard UK fair on BBC or ITV was total shite...I used to cringe at how awful it was and the odd fart joke would have really lifted things. I think the Yanks produce some decent stuff, but they have a lot more comedians as the population is larger. If there were 350 million Canadians then there would be a lot better comedy I suspect.

Anyway...for classic UK comedy that I think Canadians, Brits and everyone would enjoy click on this Harry Enfield sketch I stumbled across the other day:

http://youtu.be/guZVRb24Xvk
You have to realize most good Canadian comedians have moved to the US to make more money, that's why they have good comedians.
Check out Russell Peters.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Steve_
But then again, there's always this: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzz...dog-quebec_fun

Steve, that's just Sasha Cohen humour without the humour.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Intelligent humour and allows the audience to make the connection in their heads. That connection depends on the audience knowing what you are talking about.
I spend 6 months a year in Panama and am beginning to understand the spanish humour. Properly delivered, it is funny.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But then again, there's always this: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzz...dog-quebec_fun

Insulting yes, Comic, not so much.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul in Calgary
You have to realize most good Canadian comedians have moved to the US to make more money, that's why they have good comedians.
Check out Russell Peters.
That doesn't explain why Canadians roar with laughter at complete shite...maybe the good comedians moved south because no one got their jokes?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 10:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Insulting yes, Comic, not so much.
Oh come on: "Are you a separatist? Maybe you should separate yourself from doughnuts first."
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of farts
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/04/18/can-a-fart-kill
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Eabie has a spectacular aura aboutEabie has a spectacular aura aboutEabie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Oink
No, on the contrary, I'm quite complimentary of the place, its very scenic around Vancouver, has decent fishing, the July and August weather can be quite spectacular and I like the sushi and chicken-wing special nights. What else is there?
Rich natural resources. Far superior economic prospects both in the short and long term. Better job market and more affordable homes (depending on area, granted - it's a big and diverse country). Larger houses and gardens. A less xenophobic and anti-immigrant culture than you have in the UK. Greater cultural diversity and more successful racial integration than in the UK. Far greater social mobility - the UK has among the worst records, along with the US, by contrast. An absence of violent, countrywide riots. Oh, and last but not least - considerably less snobbery.

But if all you like is the sushi, you're welcome to take some back with you to the UK. When are you leaving again?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eabie
Rich natural resources. Far superior economic prospects both in the short and long term. Better job market and more affordable homes (depending on area, granted - it's a big and diverse country). Larger houses and gardens. A less xenophobic and anti-immigrant culture than you have in the UK. Greater cultural diversity and more successful racial integration than in the UK. Far greater social mobility - the UK has among the worst records, along with the US, by contrast. An absence of violent, countrywide riots. Oh, and last but not least - considerably less snobbery.

But if all you like is the sushi, you're welcome to take some back with you to the UK. When are you leaving again?
^^^
A shining example of the disconnect between british and canadian sense of humour right there
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

+1

I've been reading planet ponzi, an excellent book, and it makes me very glad I live here. Sure, we're in for a few years of tough times as phase 2 of the financial crash inflicts greater carnage than phase 1, and the collapse of he chinese property market will cause havoc in the Vancouver and Toronto condo fantasy market...but after that Canada is one of the best placed countries to prosper in the second of half of this decade and the twenties. Be prepared for the coming year though...it's going to be very messy, even here.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

At least when Canadians riot it’s at least over some issue of perceived social and economic injustice. They’re deep man.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada - Riot after Guns N' Roses show during the Guns N' Roses/Metallica Stadium Tour. 1992

Stanley Cup Riot, Montreal, Québec, Canada, June 9, 1993.

Stanley Cup Riot, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, June 14, 1994.

Canada Day Riot, July 2001, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada[26

Guns N' Roses riot in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada after their concert was cancelled. 2002 -

The Exploited Montreal riot, Montreal, Canada.[32][33] October 14, 2003

Stanley Cup Western Conference Finals (Edmonton Oilers victory), May 2006, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Riots in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada after the Vancouver Canucks lost to the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup. 2011

Plus, I love Canada for its chicken wings as well sushi.

Last edited by Oink; Apr 23rd 2012 at 9:37 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
At least when Canadians riot it’s at least over some issue of perceived social and economic injustice. They’re deep man.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada - Riot after Guns N' Roses show during the Guns N' Roses/Metallica Stadium Tour. 1992

Stanley Cup Riot, Montreal, Québec, Canada, June 9, 1993.

Stanley Cup Riot, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, June 14, 1994.

Canada Day Riot, July 2001, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada[26

Guns N' Roses riot in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada after their concert was cancelled. 2002 -

The Exploited Montreal riot, Montreal, Canada.[32][33] October 14, 2003

Stanley Cup Western Conference Finals (Edmonton Oilers victory), May 2006, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Riots in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada after the Vancouver Canucks lost to the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup. 2011

Plus, I love Canada for its chicken wings as well sushi.
You forgot to mention the student riots in Montreal. 2012 LOL
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Canuck74
You forgot to mention the student riots in Montreal. 2012 LOL
Those examples all sound like a regular football game in England.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Micheline is an unknown quantity at this point

I find this topic fascinating. I am Canadian but went to live in the UK for over 10 years. When I first got there, I felt the reverse was true. The English seemed too serious, when I made self-defeating jokes, I received empathy remarks to support my pain. After several years, I started to get funnier, and I suspect, it had to do with my integration into English culture and understanding how to make others laugh. Although never fully mastering the "art" in England, what I found interesting is how I started slowly to loose my ability to make others laugh when going back to visit family in Canada. This last time was painful when I made a what I thought was a funny witty remark to my mother but it was received very badly...she was "hurt". I tried to explain it was British humour but didn't work. I have now moved to NZ...closer to British humour or Canadian...time will tell.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The kiwis are much closer to the UK in terms of humour than Canadians...my wife is a kiwi so I should know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.