Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Failed job application, re-advertised.

Failed job application, re-advertised.

Old Apr 30th 2018, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Failed job application, re-advertised.

So I'm trying the whole applying for jobs in a different culture thingy, and hoping the collective wisdom might have some advice or perspectives...

(I have read the job hunting wiki, & as it notes it's tailored to private sector employers, and my past experience and this specific question relate to public sector hiring).

Job was advertised last month, closed two weeks ago. I applied about a week before the cutoff. No acknowledgement (ad has said thanks to all, only people interviewed will be contacted). This is in quite a small community which I suspect has difficulty attracting applicants, and included a 'please outline your salary expectations' (which I hate with a burning passion, seriously if they included theirs in the advert it would save everyone a lot of time and effort - do not understand what the benefit for them is of leaving it out).

The job has been re-advertised. I do know I shouldn't take this is a glowing 'OMG, they want you!' (), but beyond that, I'm having trouble with how to take it/what's next. It could be that I was the only applicant. It could be that I priced myself out of the market. It could be that they didn't think I was suitable, or didn't like my past experience, or that I didn't show how I met the requirements.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience, or advice on this - is the done thing to just shrug & move on? Would it be appropriate to send a nudge 'sorry you didn't want to proceed, but I really am interested and would love to show you how good I am for this'? Would it be inappropriate to email or call to ask what sorts of things I'd need to do different? (Which could generate invaluable feedback, or come across almost stalker-ish). If they didn't have a pool to pick from, it might be good to emphasize I really am interested, or they might prefer to hire nobody than someone they think isn't right - I've never before had such a complete silence to an app, and since I obviously want to make one work, I don't know what to do with... this.

Relevant take from the wiki - I know it says to be pro-active, which would suggest a call/email trying to keep it friendly as a 'sorry I'm not right, can you suggest what I should be going for' might be in order, but I'd also be afraid it could be deeply inappropriate.

Any input deeply appreciated

(Edit: Oh, and cover letter also gave an address in another Province - which I chose for current-accuracy, but had a phone number from the target province, and talked about how that was home - so don't know if that might have come across as 'doesn't seriously want to be here')

Last edited by Vulcanoid; Apr 30th 2018 at 11:32 pm. Reason: add
Old Apr 30th 2018, 11:39 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failed job application, re-advertised.

I would strongly urge you to email them again. What have you got to lose? If you're going to be rejected by them, they can't "super reject you". I'd make it very clear about the province thing and that it really isn't a problem. Also emphasize your interest and why you feel your experience is relevant. Worst case scenario they continue to ignore you - reject your application; in which case you're no worse off than you are already.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
So I'm trying the whole applying for jobs in a different culture thingy, and hoping the collective wisdom might have some advice or perspectives...

(I have read the job hunting wiki, & as it notes it's tailored to private sector employers, and my past experience and this specific question relate to public sector hiring).

Job was advertised last month, closed two weeks ago. I applied about a week before the cutoff. No acknowledgement (ad has said thanks to all, only people interviewed will be contacted). This is in quite a small community which I suspect has difficulty attracting applicants, and included a 'please outline your salary expectations' (which I hate with a burning passion, seriously if they included theirs in the advert it would save everyone a lot of time and effort - do not understand what the benefit for them is of leaving it out).

The job has been re-advertised. I do know I shouldn't take this is a glowing 'OMG, they want you!' (), but beyond that, I'm having trouble with how to take it/what's next. It could be that I was the only applicant. It could be that I priced myself out of the market. It could be that they didn't think I was suitable, or didn't like my past experience, or that I didn't show how I met the requirements.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience, or advice on this - is the done thing to just shrug & move on? Would it be appropriate to send a nudge 'sorry you didn't want to proceed, but I really am interested and would love to show you how good I am for this'? Would it be inappropriate to email or call to ask what sorts of things I'd need to do different? (Which could generate invaluable feedback, or come across almost stalker-ish). If they didn't have a pool to pick from, it might be good to emphasize I really am interested, or they might prefer to hire nobody than someone they think isn't right - I've never before had such a complete silence to an app, and since I obviously want to make one work, I don't know what to do with... this.

Relevant take from the wiki - I know it says to be pro-active, which would suggest a call/email trying to keep it friendly as a 'sorry I'm not right, can you suggest what I should be going for' might be in order, but I'd also be afraid it could be deeply inappropriate.

Any input deeply appreciated

This is the North American hiring process in a nutshell....they rarely state the salary they are willing to pay, (unless its exceptionally good) but always ask what you are looking for...which I find ridiculous... as you cant even negotiate with them then....for example you could have come from a company that paid very well to a market that no longer pays that kind of money....its very unfair that as the job seekers we are not allowed to have any input into this.

As for the silence to your application....thats a the norm here, and its gets worse, many companies dont even give you an answer after you have taken to he time to attend an interview!! ...which I think is just plain rude!!!

Then there is the Indeed job site...which is the main site for employers and employees.....I hate that site! Many companies will do what you have described... they will post a job, and you apply...but keep checking the ad, you may think you have applied but many companies will take it down and repost....and then your application will not count! (check the "apply" button at the bottom of the ad...it should say "applied" One company in whcih I applied for a job did this THREE times in the space of a month, I applied all three times, why they do this I have no idea! Its a complete farce....infact the whole hiring process its in Canada is a farce, and I have found it one of the most frustrating things I have ever had to endure.

Although I haven't lived in the UK now for 9 years so it could have changed there too, but Im sure its not this bad, like you say you have never had such comeplete silence....even after an interview!!

I love living in Canada its my home now....so I am not bashing Canada as a whole, but the hiring process is a shambles.

All I can say is keep on trying....and I dont think a email saying 'sorry you didn't want to proceed, but I really am interested and would love to show you how good I am for this'? would hurt....how could it? its not rude, you just want an acknowledgement. You have my 100% empathy!

Of course this may differ from one field of work to the other, I think that may also have an input along with age, and where you live in relation to the job you have applied for..

Your not alone in your frustration. Keep on trying!
Old Apr 30th 2018, 11:58 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Does the posting have a contact for questions? If so, then why not ask for feedback on your previous application? That way you know what you need to do to make the next application one they will accept.
Old May 1st 2018, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I would follow up and reiterate my interest. Nothing to lose there and, as far as I can tell, Canadians seem to like that sort of crap.

I turned a job down here and phoned up to tell the guy such. I outlined why I did not think it was suitable for me at that point and thanked him for what, in fact, was a very good process. He was all impressed with how I did it and told me I could change my mind at any time. He even moved company and got in touch to say he would get me in if I wanted to. What I am trying to say is that they seem to love this touchy, feely, proactive thingy here. Go for it!
Old May 1st 2018, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all - good tips, and sometimes just v useful to have something pointed out
Old May 3rd 2018, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Just to add, something that was pointed out to me when I was going through the hiring process was that sites like Indeed and the more popular ones (Job Board for example) simply exist to tick a box. I cannot confirm this is always the case, but chances are if the job is re-listed it means that it's filled, but the employer has some sort of criteria to meet.
Old May 3rd 2018, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

On the Indeed situation (and I'll admit I'm guilty of this), the reason I post the same job every week, sometimes earlier, is usually by day three my job posting is on page 35 or beyond. Not many people get that far, whereas, when you repost it you're back to page 1.

There is of course the paid sponsorship option which keeps you up at the top, but many of those tend to look a bit dodgy and in themselves are ignored.

As for the OP, definitely apply again. If you feel you were missing something go ahead and change that. It could even be the hiring manager just missed your resume the first time around!
Old May 3rd 2018, 3:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Late to this thread, but if it's still relevant, then absolutely re-apply.

If you can find out who the hiring manager is, then call them. If it's a public sector organization their phone number is probably published somewhere, or you could just go through a switchboard.

Typically applications in large organizations (including public sector HR processes in that) go through an automated filter before getting anywhere near the hiring manager's desk. If you can talk to the person who is actually hiring, they may be able to "pull" your application from the pile, instead of hoping that it gets "pushed" through the bot and the HR department.

Of course, as suggested above, the other alternative is that they already have an internal candidate in mind but have to be seen to be going through the process. In which case it sucks, but you're fundamentally no worse off (in terms of not getting the job) than you are now, so there's nothing much to lose by trying to bypass HR.
Old May 3rd 2018, 3:52 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Late to this thread, but if it's still relevant, then absolutely re-apply.

If you can find out who the hiring manager is, then call them. If it's a public sector organization their phone number is probably published somewhere, or you could just go through a switchboard.

Typically applications in large organizations (including public sector HR processes in that) go through an automated filter before getting anywhere near the hiring manager's desk. If you can talk to the person who is actually hiring, they may be able to "pull" your application from the pile, instead of hoping that it gets "pushed" through the bot and the HR department.

Of course, as suggested above, the other alternative is that they already have an internal candidate in mind but have to be seen to be going through the process. In which case it sucks, but you're fundamentally no worse off (in terms of not getting the job) than you are now, so there's nothing much to lose by trying to bypass HR.
What he says!
Old May 4th 2018, 10:20 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I would apply again without making any reference to the previous application. The first application was probably rejected by a box-ticking young HR person or automated system and if you refer to the first attempt then they will just assume the first rejection was correct and follow suit.
Reword a few things in the second try. Add or remove your middle name from the application so the person / computer might accept it as a different applicant. As others have said, you have nothing to lose from where you are with them right now.
Old May 4th 2018, 4:40 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

For future reference, never answer the "salary expectation" screening question on an application. Just put in "negotiable" or "0" or whatever allows you to get past the question without answering.

Salary is a total compensation discussion and negotiation. Benefits. Vacation. RRSP contribution matching. Bonus structure. These all affect what you would accept for a salary, and should be negotiated as a whole.

This is a two way street too. On more than one occasion I've interviewed candidates that were so far ahead of the competition that I've offered a greater salary and total compensation package than I had in mind to begin with.

Last edited by Photoplex; May 4th 2018 at 4:47 pm.
Old May 9th 2018, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of HR now use automated technology to filter applications. I'm a very "experienced" person working in a young mans area (IT) so I try and limit my experience to a few years only
Unfortunately I don't have all the buzzwords companies secretly look for - yup they often have requirements above what the as states. I once applied for a job and was rejected because I had consulting experience and they had a secret rule to reject applicants with consulting experience.

I never answer salary or just put "market"

Usually if there is an internal candidate the job ad would not have seen publicly. So the company has exhausted their internal hiring already.

If you reapply you will need to alter your CV and your contact information otherwise it's likely the automated system will reject as a duplicate and you get the usual "your CV is being kept on file and will auto-match blah blah".

Good luck!
Old May 9th 2018, 2:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rawsalad
Usually if there is an internal candidate the job ad would not have seen publicly. So the company has exhausted their internal hiring already.
This is very much not the case. Many organizations, especially in the public sector or commercial businesses with public stock listings, are obliged to post public ads even where there's an internal candidate already in mind. It makes it very frustrating for external applicants, who are never really in the running for the job (unless they're truly exceptional and able to displace the "known quantity" of an incumbent employee).
Old May 10th 2018, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak from my experience from working in companies.

accept that for public service position they are advertised publicly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.