Expired I-94

Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Expired I-94

Hi,

I am really hoping someone can help me out!! So.. I was in Canada for 12 months working, that permit expired and my new one hadn't been issued yet so I crossed over into the United States to change my status to a visitor, and returned to Canada after a weekend in Seattle.

Unknown to me at the time, the Canadian Embassy made a complete mess of my application!! and it ended up taking 5 months to process.

I know need to go to the border again to get my new work permit.

However, the I-94 card thing that the States put in my passport expired at the end of April.. does that mean I can't cross the border?? I returned to Canada from Seattle by Train so I didn't have any dealings with US Border people, and noone at the US Border said I had to return my I-94 card thing so I am confused!!

Please help?

Thanks!

P.S. I am hoping to cross the border today! (haha!!)

Last edited by burks; Jun 6th 2012 at 3:32 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:39 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired I-94

Originally Posted by burks
Hi,

I am really hoping someone can help me out!! So.. I was in Canada for 12 months working, that permit expired and my new one hadn't been issued yet so I crossed over into the United States to change my status to a visitor, and returned to Canada after a weekend in Seattle.

Unknown to me at the time, the Canadian Embassy made a complete mess of my application!! and it ended up taking 5 months to process.

I know need to go to the border again to get my new work permit.

However, the I-94 card thing that the States put in my passport expired at the end of April.. does that mean I can't cross the border?? I returned to Canada from Seattle by Train so I didn't have any dealings with US Border people, and noone at the US Border said I had to return my I-94 card thing so I am confused!!

Please help?

Thanks!

P.S. I am hoping to cross the border today! (haha!!)
I forgot to hand mine back recently so posted it along with proof that i had left well before it expired, just in case.

Without that there's a chance you will be seen as overstaying.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...l-have-my-i-94
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have time to post it.. Although I do have the stamp in my passport to prove that I re-entered Canada a few days after leaving the USA so hopefully that will work? Knowing my luck it won't though!

Thanks for your help
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:24 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have time to post it.. Although I do have the stamp in my passport to prove that I re-entered Canada a few days after leaving the USA so hopefully that will work? Knowing my luck it won't though!

Thanks for your help
I don't see why they won't accept the stamp as proof. Take a copy of a credit card bill showing you were in Canada as additional evidence if possible, just in case.

Good luck.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's a good idea. I have a Canadian mobile too so I can take the a phone bill to show that I was here also. I suppose it is all going to depend on who I get at the border!

I am only going to turn around again and come back through Canadian immigration, so if they don't let me in I think they have to send me back through there anyways.. So hopefully it will all work out.

I wish I was told this information when I crossed the border in the first place!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

What is the deal with I-94's now? Last time I came back across the land border Canadian immigration didn't remove mine from my passport so I asked them to. The response was 'ok, if you're not planning on going back over in the next 90 days (and don't want to pay the $9 fee again)', which I wasn't, so they did. The implication was that it doesn't really matter any more. Do CBSA pass on exit details to the Yanks these days maybe?
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:55 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by dgagitw
What is the deal with I-94's now? Last time I came back across the land border Canadian immigration didn't remove mine from my passport so I asked them to. The response was 'ok, if you're not planning on going back over in the next 90 days (and don't want to pay the $9 fee again)', which I wasn't, so they did. The implication was that it doesn't really matter any more. Do CBSA pass on exit details to the Yanks these days maybe?
If you don't hand it in, you can be seen as overstaying in the US by all accounts. I'd not want to find out to be honest since they can play silly buggers quite well.

I doubt the US border patrol have any idea that you left unless they recieve the i94 card from the Canadian side, or via the post from yourself.

It's $6 by the way
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

The thing is.. I have to cross the border this week!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:44 pm
Beep

The thing is.. I have to cross the border this week!
Don't worry about it. Just take evidence you left when you say you did just in case. I dare say they get a lot of this.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll try not to worry! Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:52 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
What is the deal with I-94's now? Last time I came back across the land border Canadian immigration didn't remove mine from my passport so I asked them to.
Because it's valid for 90 days, if you plan on going back there's no need to turn it in. But you do need to surrender it if you aren't.

At land borders because Canadians aren't issued them it's more about CBP just determining your non-immigrant intent by asking you questions and your showing them evidence. They might get miffed that you didn't turn your I-94 in but they do have an information sharing agreement with CBSA so I wouldn't panic about it. Just have evidence you were in Canada, preferably evidence of the date you left the US, a CBSA stamp in the passport should suffice.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There again one could always turn the card over and read the instructions on the back and see that it clearly states that the card must be surrendered when leaving the US

Read this link
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/752

CBSA officers are not mind readers. If we see the I94 in your passport we have no idea if you will be returning to the US while the card is still valid. I have had travellers shout at me for attempting to remove it and give me shit for not removing it.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:47 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

To put the OP's mind somewhat at rest: I have, over the course of the past 10 years or so, failed to turn in about half a dozen I94Ws before the 90 day expiry date. Mostly because there was always a possibility of a return to the US within the 90-day validity, after which point I didn't think about it again until the next time I was due to enter the country. Once I sent the thing to the address in Kentucky or Tennessee or wherever it is you're supposed to send them, other times I just ignored it. On no occasion has a US border person made any comment, let alone taken any action, as a result.