Reload this Page >

Experience of using "Animal Airlines" to send dog from UK to Canada

Experience of using "Animal Airlines" to send dog from UK to Canada

Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Frank40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experience of using "Animal Airlines" to send dog from UK to Canada

Hi all,

I'm researching about sending my 2 dogs from Manchester to Toronto as we are immigrating. We have a Husky and Labrador Retriever. I think we are set on using a company called "Animal Airlines" but before I go ahead with any confirmation I would like to know if anyone has used this company before and what are your experiences?

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find any feedback.

Frank
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of using "Animal Airlines" to send dog from UK to Canada

Originally Posted by Frank40
Hi all,

I'm researching about sending my 2 dogs from Manchester to Toronto as we are immigrating. We have a Husky and Labrador Retriever. I think we are set on using a company called "Animal Airlines" but before I go ahead with any confirmation I would like to know if anyone has used this company before and what are your experiences?

Frank
Have you considered just doing it yourself? Air Transat, for instance, allow your pet to fly as excess baggage on the same flight as you are on for around £300. You don't need a pet passport either!

If you do a search in the forum for dog to Canada there are many threads. I am not sure if this link will work but there are 4 or 5 threads at the top of the page.

A couple to start you off: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=dog

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=dog

There is also a very good wiki article but you should ignore the comment about Air Transat, they DO allow pets to be transported: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets

http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/gamme...voyageur&id=20

Old May 1st 2013, 12:32 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

i asked them about this and they said NO, as he was too big ( black lab) if its a yorkie or a shitzhu then you are laughing otherwise you are looking at $$$s

check where you have to collect the animals from and what is the order of play once you land, get thru immigration and get your bags, at vancouver you have to go to an office about 3 miles off airport, and get paperwork sorted ( took 2 hours) then go back to the cargo terminal and collect the animal. poor darlin was in that box for 5 hours longer than needed be as the company we used cocked up! i swear he fair drooled at the patch of grass they have outside when he finally got out for a wee!

i can heartily reccommend christine at whitehouse kennels ( she handled the return trip for our un-emigration and our subsequent re-emigration and my dogs well being was her primary concern. (http://www.whitehouse-kennels.co.uk/) would recommend her to the moon and back!
Old May 1st 2013, 12:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
i asked them about this and they said NO, as he was too big ( black lab) if its a yorkie or a shitzhu then you are laughing otherwise you are looking at $$$s

check where you have to collect the animals from and what is the order of play once you land, get thru immigration and get your bags, at vancouver you have to go to an office about 3 miles off airport, and get paperwork sorted ( took 2 hours) then go back to the cargo terminal and collect the animal. poor darlin was in that box for 5 hours longer than needed be as the company we used cocked up! i swear he fair drooled at the patch of grass they have outside when he finally got out for a wee!

i can heartily reccommend christine at whitehouse kennels ( she handled the return trip for our un-emigration and our subsequent re-emigration and my dogs well being was her primary concern. (http://www.whitehouse-kennels.co.uk/) would recommend her to the moon and back!
Other people have bought their large dogs from the UK to Canada on Air Transat - the most recent were Dave n Ailsa (just last month). At Toronto (where the OP has stated they will land) Air Transat have the dog at the passenger terminal, no having to go to Cargo - though you do have to make sure they are on the goods to follow list.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793763

Old May 2nd 2013, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

I've flown with Air Transat a few times and while they are cheap they are essentially the transatlantic version of Ryan Air. Money is not an issue. I like the idea of a more tailored service that will better guarantee the well being of my dogs.
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I will look into this company. Did your dogs have to go in quarantine on their arrival back in the UK?

The guy at Animal Airlines seems really nice and caring but I'm just looking for feedback to ensure this is not just a sales pitch.

People may laugh but I consider my dogs with the same love I would give to any human member of my immediate family.
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

People may laugh but I consider my dogs with the same love I would give to any human member of my immediate family.
But not to the point of flying Air Transat yourself if it's better for them?
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:52 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I used Ladyhaye, no complaints, I think experiences of shipping animals can be similar to shipping goods, everyone can have different experiences.
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

franfluff is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Frank
Air Transat will do it for $275 per dog, size doesnt matter! x
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
But not to the point of flying Air Transat yourself if it's better for them?
Well obviously the rules governing the safety of people on an airliner, budget or otherwise, are far more stringent and enforced than that of animal. Animals cannot complain or give an account of how they were treated. I fear that on a budget airliner my dogs would be more likely dealt with as just cargo than on say Air Canada or British Airways.

Surely you didn't intend to imply that I am putting my family at risk by having them fly on a budget plane.
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:31 pm
Banned

Well obviously the rules governing the safety of people on an airliner, budget or otherwise, are far more stringent and enforced than that of animal. Animals cannot complain or give an account of how they were treated. I fear that on a budget airliner my dogs would be more likely dealt with as just cargo than on say Air Canada or British Airways.

Surely you didn't intend to imply that I am putting my family at risk by having them fly on a budget plane.
Which airline will the company use that you are thinking of paying thousands to, to transport them for you? How many extra hours of being in a crate will your dogs have to endure by using a pet tranportation company?

There are rules about the transportation of pets on every airline, some adhere to them better than others. I couldn't find any reports on pet deaths on Air Transat (although I did find one for Air Canada), unlike the US airlines (not budget)who seem to get a fair amount of pet injuries and deaths: http://www.petflight.com/pet-incidents/list
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:38 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franfluff
Air Transat will do it for $275 per dog, size doesnt matter! x
i called them in 2011 and again in 2012, both times they refused point blank because of his size, and that of the kennel he required ( vari kennel giant) they may have changed rules since

Thanks, I will look into this company. Did your dogs have to go in quarantine on their arrival back in the UK?

Nope: we had his rabies certification sorted out well before leaving uk just in case, thank god!
me too. my dog is my favourite child sometimes!
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

ChrisNI is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Air Transat to fly our large german shepherd and greyhound over. We had 3 giant vari kennels and it was all fine until we were boarding and were told the crates wouldn't fit through the airplane door. After much panic, they did manage to fit them in and the dogs arrived very happy and were completely themselves.

I thought Air Transat was excellent and to fly 3 dogs and a cat over, it cost us $1110. It was a great and fun experience.
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by siouxie
Which airline will the company use that you are thinking of paying thousands to, to transport them for you? How many extra hours of being in a crate will your dogs have to endure by using a pet tranportation company?

There are rules about the transportation of pets on every airline, some adhere to them better than others. I couldn't find any reports on pet deaths on Air Transat (although I did find one for Air Canada), unlike the US airlines (not budget)who seem to get a fair amount of pet injuries and deaths: http://www.petflight.com/pet-incidents/list
Thanks for the info but the link is just domestic US flights.

I see Air Transat are getting some good reviews. I think it's sensible to be skeptical of a "budget" airline but perhaps they care more about ensuring their reputation than a bigger airline. I'm just trying to cover all options.

I've not had a problem with Air Transat. I like the direct flights but I can barely move in my seat and on my last trip only one toilet in the whole plane was functioning. You get what you pay for.

Not to mention all those awkward moments passing people in the isle. The Airbus is so damn compact.
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:06 pm
Banned

Thanks for the info but the link is just domestic US flights.

I see Air Transat are getting some good reviews. I think it's sensible to be skeptical of a "budget" airline but perhaps they care more about ensuring their reputation than a bigger airline. I'm just trying to cover all options.

I've not had a problem with Air Transat. I like the direct flights but I can barely move in my seat and on my last trip only one toilet in the whole plane was functioning. You get what you pay for.

Not to mention all those awkward moments passing people in the isle. The Airbus is so damn compact.
That's because their seats are bigger than Air Canada, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.