Reload this Page >

Expat Hockey in Halifax?

Expat Hockey in Halifax?

Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

lostandconfused is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Expat Hockey in Halifax?

Afternoon all,

Are there any HRM area people here who play [ice] hockey?

I'm wondering whether I can find enough people to form an expat team to compete in one of the lower (i.e. the lowest) recreational/gentlemanly leagues - e.g...

http://lcghl.com/index.php

Or one of the others at the SportsPlex or wherever...
http://www.rinktime.com/skating_rink...rtmouth_ns.cfm

Does anyone already play?

As a disclaimer, I can barely skate myself, but it looks like fun and we all need something to do in the winter, right?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Expat Hockey in Halifax?

I feel a good drubbing coming on!!!!! Sorry!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:33 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LiffyB
I feel a good drubbing coming on!!!!! Sorry!
I doubt drubbing is a big enough word, I've been here for a couple of years and have reached the level of "confident of remaining on my feet and going backwards a bit" and probably have quite a way to go before thinking of gentlemen's leagues!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lostandconfused
Afternoon all,

I'm wondering whether I can find enough people to form an expat team to compete in one of the lower (i.e. the lowest) recreational/gentlemanly leagues - e.g...

As a disclaimer, I can barely skate myself, but it looks like fun and we all need something to do in the winter, right?

Perhaps you should think of playing against 'The Timbits'!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:43 pm
Just counting the days...

marcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura about

I've been watching a bit of the 'boxing on ice' just lately over on www.hockeyfights.com

If you need a 'slugger' I can probably help out (years of practise in the name of 'rugby' ) but if you need to me to do the 'Torville & Dean' stuff I'm probably not the right bloke.

Sorry.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

people ... who play [ice] hockey?

...gentlemanly leagues...
That is where you are going wrong. They are usually called beer leagues and there's nothing much gentlemanly about them.

PS. There is no need to say ice hockey. There is field hockey, street hockey, and ball hockey, but the stuff they play on ice is just hockey.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LiffyB
Perhaps you should think of playing against 'The Timbits'!
No, they'd probably kill us.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is no need to say ice hockey
Indeed, but given the intended audience is (mainly) british, I felt that square brackets would at once clarify that I was indeed aware of this linguistic norm, and provide guidance to those few of us who actually play any form of hockey other than "" hockey. Not that a call for field hockey volunteers would yield an overwhelming response, now that I think about it.

Originally Posted by marcustandy
If you need a 'slugger' I can probably help out (years of practise in the name of 'rugby' )
Defenceman #1, sorted. You may also need to address any further trash-talking from LiffyB.

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
I've been here for a couple of years and have reached the level of "confident of remaining on my feet and going backwards a bit
Congratulations - you just qualified yourself as our superstar forward!

Any other takers? I think we may need at least 2 lines...
Old Nov 28th 2008, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Defenceman #1, sorted. You may also need to address any further trash-talking from LiffyB.

Stop your Jibber Jabbin' you crazy fool!

LiffyB
Die hard CuJo fan!
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:49 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcustandy
I've been watching a bit of the 'boxing on ice' just lately over on www.hockeyfights.com

If you need a 'slugger' I can probably help out (years of practise in the name of 'rugby' ) but if you need to me to do the 'Torville & Dean' stuff I'm probably not the right bloke.

Sorry.
You know its wrong, and it really shouldnt be happening in sport, but when a player from your team gives the enforcer in the opposing team a good shoeing its quite funny.

Vancouver had Donald Brashear back in the 90's and he was a right nutter. Mind you we got Rypien and Hordi now and they're pretty bonkers.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

troy74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Afternoon all,

hello lost and confused
have just moved to halifax and i have been sliding on my arse for last 2 years with some game experiance back in blighty with the RAF Blue Wings....im not to good can basically get around the ice but not to hot in reverse...played wing for blue wings(3rd line/orange boy)but did once deliver an assist,well chuffed i was ..... defo up for some hockey.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:28 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Afternoon all,

I can skate but have never played hockey. If you were really desperate for someone to help make up the team I would be happy to join but, like I say, you would really have to be desperate!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent! Thanks for the responses so far. We now have a grand total of four willing expats to go forth and get checked into the boards (NSpaul, troy74, ziggy8080 and myself).

Still a little short of a full team, but it's a start - hopefully there'll be a few more takers as the season progresses! I'm playing in goal for my office tournament in a couple of weeks (to say they were desperate would be an understatement), so I'll report back (if I survive) after that.

Otherwise, for those working in downtown Halifax, I'd recommend getting some practice in at the Metro Centre's noon skates - Mon/Weds/Fri from 12-12.50pm - http://www.halifaxmetrocentre.com/en...g/default.aspx - I'll be the guy everyone's overtaking.

There's also an adult skating program at the Forum starting in January for various levels - http://www.halifax.ca/recreation/doc.../FWSkating.pdf
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Do they have a Web camera at the Metro Centre?

I could watch from my desk here in Cornwall!

Liff
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:36 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent! Thanks for the responses so far. We now have a grand total of four willing expats to go forth and get checked into the boards (NSpaul, troy74, ziggy8080 and myself).
I'm not sure I actually volunteered to play did I? I merely said I don't fall over any more!

BTW I take the thursday evening lessons at the Forum - they are pretty good, esp after the first three weeks when the majority of people drop out.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
I'm not sure I actually volunteered to play did I? I merely said I don't fall over any more!

BTW I take the thursday evening lessons at the Forum - they are pretty good, esp after the first three weeks when the majority of people drop out.
Ah! My apologies, perhaps I was getting ahead of myself. I'll work on my pitch and see you at the Forum skate sessions in Jan...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.