Reload this Page >

exchanging driving license

exchanging driving license

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Powermantic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default exchanging driving license

hello

I know this topic was raised here many times before. I am now in Toronto and will be trying to exchange my UK driving license to Ontario one. Tried to do it on Saturday at College station but the place was closed. Security told me that I can not exchange UK driving license here - to be honest he probably does not have a clue about what he was saying.

I know that they may want to see a proof that I was driving in UK for 24 months. How can I get such proof being in Canada now?

I will appreciate your advise, so please share your personal experiences on the exchanging of a driving license and on how to get that proof of driving experience.

Thank you all in advance.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 11:54 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving license

I'm pretty sure when I exchanged my UK licence I did not have any additional proof of driving history, bar my licence, and it was one of the old paper only licences. I had been driving since 1992 and the exchange was in 2004, so the length of time might simply be taken into account.

It's probably worth turning up and seeing if they'll just do the exchange, they might not ask for more proof. If they do, well, can you contact your old insurance company in the UK and ask for proof of insurance. If this shows you were insured for at least the past 24 months then that might be accepted as proof.

Where exactly were you trying to exchange the licence? I know you can certainly exchange them at DriveTest centers (see here for a list of locations)
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 11:57 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would only need proof of driving as you call it, for insurance purposes - not for the exchange of your license.

Not being in Ontario I have no idea nor do I care overly about how to change the license so someone else will be along soon, however regarding proof of no claims for insurance, then you should get in touch with your old insurance company (doesn't matter that you are in Canada - I hear a letter / email works well these days). If you can't get it then you'll just have to suck it up and pay full whack.

hth
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:02 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Hi Powermantic

I exchanged licences on 1st Nov in Ontario. Whilst they need to see 24 months experience they use the data on the UK licence so you dont need anything else. (it is probably there to cover other nationalities who dont have such informtion on the licence).

If you have a UK photo card licence then you must take both parts. They will retain the photo card element and send it back to the DVLA. You retain the paper element of the licence.

There are only certain Service Ontario offices that do it.

Some insurance companies will ask you for DVLA driving history along with your a non-standard no claims letter from UK insurance companies, else they treat you as a new driver.

Cheers

JB
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:37 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably need to go to one of the driving test centers to exchange it. A lot of the service Canada places do license exchanges, but not for foreign nationals.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:51 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Youwere in the correct place , college park
Security was talking nonsense
Take license
Pay money
Do eye test
Get temp print out
Job done
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

bozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nice

Doesn't it have to be within 3 months of landing or something?
What happens after that? Do you have to pay more?
Bozo
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:48 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

You have 90 days.
I have no idea what would happen after that

I suspect as long as you hadn't been driving after the 90 days you would be fine

I think it's that you are only entitled to drive on the UK licence for 90 days after becoming resident. As long as you weren't driving I think you'd be ok

Last edited by Zoe Bell; Jan 24th 2011 at 2:51 am. Reason: I hate autocorrect :(
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

bozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nice

Cool beans.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Powermantic is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you all
I went to College place again today - exchanged my UK driving license to Ontario one in no time - they took away the plastic license and gave me back the paper counterpart... paid $75 and that was it.
so, the job is done - now another job on my list is getting insurance and purchasing and registering a vehicle.
I heard that car dealers here are very different and some of them may charge you arm and leg for everything they offer. How did you buy your car - did you go private, or did you use a dealer, do you have any tips on price negotiation? I am planning to buy a fairly new second hand car as I don't think it is wise to splash out a lot of funds on the new vehicle right now.
Is Johnson's best insurance company to choose , or do you know some other good insurers (well I mean cheap insurers)?
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

vickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the rough

We bought second hand from a dealer and managed to negotiate a great price for a 2006 car. We used Johnsons as they were the only ones who would accept our UK no-claims.

Good luck