Exchange rate

Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Exchange rate

Chris i have to meet the removal guys in Barrie tomorrow. Depending on time i might pop round to yours to update you with another picture.

All the best

Chris
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cneldred
Chris i have to meet the removal guys in Barrie tomorrow. Depending on time i might pop round to yours to update you with another picture.

All the best

Chris
That'd be fantastic Chris. I appreciate how busy you must be at the moment but if you do get chance could you have a peek inside if possible and see if four weeks looks realistic!

See you soon.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Welcome tax???
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

£1 - $2.0396 keep it coming!!

Last edited by scottymallo; Jul 2nd 2008 at 2:58 pm. Reason: mistake
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottymallo
Welcome tax???
I am buying a house.... there is a "welcome tax" (that's what everyone knows it as) which is similar to stamp duty in the UK. That plus 3 months municipality tax in advance comes out to quite a hefty sum.... enough for a reasoanble car, actually
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Geedee,

I was worried that when i bring my money over to buy my first house in Canada to i would have to pay tax on it! Im waiting till sept and hoping the exchange rate will hit 2.10! good luck with the house move
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:16 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
And that on the back of dismal UK financial news (mainly house prices!) and upbeat Canadian News (good GDP, high commodities).

Let's all hope this is on the way back to 2.35! I've still got a bit to change..... and I haven't paid the "welcome" tax yet!
For what its worth, here is my prediction on where exchange rates will go (and fyi I'm not an "expert" but I've been right a couple of times in the past)...

There is some real concern in Canada at the moment that the economy is not as strong as everyone thinks it is. Increasing commodity prices have been masking an underperforming economy in other respects for some time and whereas it looks like Canada has been bucking the downturn trend in the US and UK in reality it hasnt. If commodity prices fall back then things will look worse that we thought. So despite bad news from the UK I think that the exchange rate could get back to 2.10 in the next couple of months. I dont think it will go much higher than that (certainly not back to 2.30ish). Longer term though we will probably return to around the 2.00 mark
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottymallo
Thanks Geedee,

I was worried that when i bring my money over to buy my first house in Canada to i would have to pay tax on it! Im waiting till sept and hoping the exchange rate will hit 2.10! good luck with the house move
I moved in May and it went well, thanks. Just that pesky tax to pay! It's more or less 1.2% of the municipality valuation (or what you pay for it, whichever is higher, of course!) Certainly needs thinking about when you're working out finances.

Originally Posted by NSpaul
For what its worth, here is my prediction on where exchange rates will go (and fyi I'm not an "expert" but I've been right a couple of times in the past)...

There is some real concern in Canada at the moment that the economy is not as strong as everyone thinks it is. Increasing commodity prices have been masking an underperforming economy in other respects for some time and whereas it looks like Canada has been bucking the downturn trend in the US and UK in reality it hasnt. If commodity prices fall back then things will look worse that we thought. So despite bad news from the UK I think that the exchange rate could get back to 2.10 in the next couple of months. I dont think it will go much higher than that (certainly not back to 2.30ish). Longer term though we will probably return to around the 2.00 mark
Funny you should say that. Apparently a Canadian Think Tank has accused the Country of "complacency". It does expect commodities to fall due to lack of demand (although that may not affect oil), and predicts Canada is due to feel a lot of pain, soon.

My feeling is that the place cannot remain immune, nowhere can. I think there will definitely be a house price correction affecting all Provinces to various degrees (I know I've just bought one, but for me it's an "anchor", not an investment, and I couldn't wait for the prices to drop).... and I think the long term average rate is 2.20, isn't it? That's where I expect it to go, heading there by years end, if not sooner (maybe wishful thinking.... fingers crossed, eh?)
Old Jul 25th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Go on girl!

It just doesn't seem to want to break through this "ceiling".... I don't think the traders have had any direction for ages now.... Cnelred, are you reading me, over?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee

Go on girl!

It just doesn't seem to want to break through this "ceiling".... I don't think the traders have had any direction for ages now.... Cnelred, are you reading me, over?
Sell in May and go away.............

Traders on holiday just now, including cneldred...........
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:03 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Slightly better than I have seen for a little while, a little bit of hope for those needing to change
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

When we started looking at going to Canada, the rate was $2.50. $2.50!!! Fingers crossed it will get somewhere near that again some time soon. $1.80 or thereabouts is no good at all, Canada!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:49 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

It was at 2.03 today on the hifx linked to the site although I think it has fallen since.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:52 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grendel
When we started looking at going to Canada, the rate was $2.50. $2.50!!! Fingers crossed it will get somewhere near that again some time soon. $1.80 or thereabouts is no good at all, Canada!
If only..........

I wouldn't mind a 25% pay increase.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by G586
Sell in May and go away.............

Traders on holiday just now, including cneldred...........
Indeed they are...back in September. Markets are always terrible in the summer, very illiquid and extremely volatile.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.