Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Excess bagggage, beware extra cost!

Wikiposts

Excess bagggage, beware extra cost!

Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

sgbolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Excess bagggage, beware extra cost!

We sent 2 boxes with excess baggage out to Toronto. Initially after working out the cost, it was less than the £10.00 per kilo charged by the airline to go with your suitcase.
In reality, the $100.00 added by the receiving couriers which I was informed by them, is a standard charge and always applied. Which the sending couriers fail to specify and only say that other charges may be incurred. When we added the cab fair to collect the boxes, the time to go to customs to get the paperwork signed (oh and the fact customs sent us away and we had to return another day as they wanted to remove a booster seat from our shipment of 2 boxes) at extra cost to us, of course. All in all it would be cheaper and easier to go with the airline and pay their rate (even with out the customs nationally vital task of protecting me from a British standard booster seat).
I was also informed by an amazed customs officer that in the summer months, customs take on interns, and I could have been asked to simply dump the £8.00 booster seat on receiving the boxes.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all
Default Re: Excess bagggage, beware extra cost!

Originally Posted by sgbolt
We sent 2 boxes with excess baggage out to Toronto. Initially after working out the cost, it was less than the £10.00 per kilo charged by the airline to go with your suitcase.
In reality, the $100.00 added by the receiving couriers which I was informed by them, is a standard charge and always applied. Which the sending couriers fail to specify and only say that other charges may be incurred. When we added the cab fair to collect the boxes, the time to go to customs to get the paperwork signed (oh and the fact customs sent us away and we had to return another day as they wanted to remove a booster seat from our shipment of 2 boxes) at extra cost to us, of course. All in all it would be cheaper and easier to go with the airline and pay their rate (even with out the customs nationally vital task of protecting me from a British standard booster seat).
I was also informed by an amazed customs officer that in the summer months, customs take on interns, and I could have been asked to simply dump the £8.00 booster seat on receiving the boxes.
Thanks for the warning. I was looking at similar arrangement and thought couple of places were quite reasonable. Now I know why. Maybe I will just take the stuff with me and pay the extra charge to the airline.

Ray
Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I brought back 3 carseats and nothing was said...........but we had 20ft container so maybe that was difference?
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

OH just took an extra suitcase (max weight 50llbs) on Air Canada for which he was charged £30.