Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ex-Military making the move?

Ex-Military making the move?

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

leecyndisanders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ex-Military making the move?

Originally Posted by marcustandy
Sorry, it seems that we (me) have double-posted.

JSP 752 Ch 7 para 07.0205 sub-para e by any chance??
Thats the one.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=agr;6979685]
I would not allow you to save up all your leave to the end of the year. I would require you to start burning up leave from the beginning. In my experience, posts from which someone could be spared for 5 months have all been taken as savings measures.

Well technically it could. I don't see how your CO, faced with a 5 months gapped post, would allow you to save up all your leave for a year. I would call that mismanagement, unless in fact your role is not important and you can be spared - but I don't think that's the case. And the rules do say that 7 weeks resettlement is only available to those who can be spared. I'm not suggesting that's morally right (in fact,it isn't) I'm just explaining the rules.

Hi agr

I'm in the RAF and don't see how you can require personnel to take leave from the beginning. It's yours and the only deciding factors of major consequence are detachment and deployments. Sections/squadrons who are away most of the year usually have a block leave period of two weeks so you can get a family holiday to cover this.

If personnel go to their line managers and propose to take all their leave and resettlement together then how can this be mismanagement? You know exactly when they will be gone and you can arrange for someone else within the section/squadron/regiment to work with them before they go to gap the post until a replacement comes in. You can always turn round and say no. Then they're hacked off, take the leave when it suits them and not you and it'll be probably be harder to cover the post because you've got no one lined up. You're going to lose these people anyhow so my line managers have usually agreed to it to get the best out of them while they are still in work. I fully appreciate that systems in the British Army and the Royal Navy are different but if you ask and get fair play to you. It's a great thread and with 2 yrs 10 mths and 2 days left I'm not counting........

Good luck to all

Shaun
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I think each individual case is different , I am personally taking my last 6 months in the UK, is anyone going to use me for this period? I as a line manager would not want someone moving in for such a short period it is not practical in most employments.
If you can get the time off then you should take full advantage.
I am currently starting early and finishing late at my work with 8 months left (2 in current post!) yet Iam dedicated to my job? My wife thinks I am an idiot!
Can you think of any civilian job where you work an extra 3 -4 hrs a day for free?
The day after I walk out of the door the last 22 years will mean nothing to the guys I leave behind, (I would like to think I have made an impression on them though)
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:17 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sarahandshaun
Hi agr

I'm in the RAF and don't see how you can require personnel to take leave from the beginning. It's yours and the only deciding factors of major consequence are detachment and deployments. Sections/squadrons who are away most of the year usually have a block leave period of two weeks so you can get a family holiday to cover this.

If personnel go to their line managers and propose to take all their leave and resettlement together then how can this be mismanagement? You know exactly when they will be gone and you can arrange for someone else within the section/squadron/regiment to work with them before they go to gap the post until a replacement comes in. You can always turn round and say no. Then they're hacked off, take the leave when it suits them and not you and it'll be probably be harder to cover the post because you've got no one lined up. You're going to lose these people anyhow so my line managers have usually agreed to it to get the best out of them while they are still in work. I fully appreciate that systems in the British Army and the Royal Navy are different but if you ask and get fair play to you. It's a great thread and with 2 yrs 10 mths and 2 days left I'm not counting........

Good luck to all

Shaun
I'll resist the temptation to highlight differences between the Services; I have not served in the RAF. I stand by what I said, which was in the context of an assumption that all leave could be deferred to the end of a final (foreign) tour. I was arguing that this was not a safe assumption, because there are line managers who (like me) consider that ensuring people spread their leave through the year is in the best interests of individuals and the Service. I didn't want to start a debate about whether that approach is right: I wanted to help the OP avoid making plans on unsafe assumptions.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:25 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dinger24
...Can you think of any civilian job where you work an extra 3 -4 hrs a day for free?
Plenty, actually. You might be in for a shock.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by agr
I'll resist the temptation to highlight differences between the Services; I have not served in the RAF. I stand by what I said, which was in the context of an assumption that all leave could be deferred to the end of a final (foreign) tour. I was arguing that this was not a safe assumption, because there are line managers who (like me) consider that ensuring people spread their leave through the year is in the best interests of individuals and the Service. I didn't want to start a debate about whether that approach is right: I wanted to help the OP avoid making plans on unsafe assumptions.
I wasn't wanting to get into a debate as your posts are helpful and imformative. My wife is QARANC and I work with the Royal Navy. It's just what I've experienced in the service, I also agree with dinger24 that it's based on each individual case and that a lot of posts can't be filled short term making it a difficult time for line managers. However, at the end of your career you sometimes have to push a little to make it work for you for when you finally close the chapter.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

last move gurus - hypothetically then, if you are moving 20 mins down the road within Canada say , can you use the last move claim via DSCOM as discussed to reunite you with your stuff that happens to be in UK storage? (ie the consignment that you aren't allowed to ship to Canada on posting and that the MOD are paying storage for...)

agr - as an RAF/Army family (makes for interesting winter evenings lol), I would say discretion by the line manager is usually given, but not always, so everyone is right. There's no reason not to ask, and providing measures can be put in place, such requests should be treated sympathetically by the line manager, and only turned down in clear cases of service need outweighing 22 years loyal service.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:02 am
Just counting the days...

marcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by debbiem
last move gurus -
I ain't no guru but what I did find at work yesterday (while waiting for the Intranet which was down . . . . again!) is that Google will happily find JSP 752 for you!!

It is here but be aware, it is a big document and may take a while to download.

With a quick skim-read I have just seen the following chapters/paragraphs that might be of interest to you;

07.0211, sub para c - The Self-Pack Service is available to all Service
personnel except those who are moving to the USA . . .

The Self-Pack Service may be used within the UK and to, from or between overseas locations.

- Private Move Arrangements. Service personnel may make private arrangements and claim the costs incurred, subject to the criteria below, for movement of their PE within the UK, and to, from and within overseas theatres.

There's probably a whole load more valuable info in there somewhere but I've got a couple of application forms to get completed and faxed!!
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=marcustandy;7207396] Google will happily find JSP 752 for you!!

Yep this has a very, very, very lot of info that will interest most ppl on here whom are about or preparing to leave, lets hope your line managers give you the time off!

Last edited by dinger24; Jan 24th 2009 at 10:49 am.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:54 am

marcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dinger24
lets hope your line managers give you the time off!
Oh, it's happening, trust me!!

Maybe it's just 'my' little corner of the MoD that is blessed with realistic management.

I reckon I'm cashing-in my Karma - I've always tried to ensure that my people have been looked after, always tried to make sure that there's someone to cover their workload if they need to be away and if not, get my hands dirty myself!! It also goes to prove that the RQMS isn't chained to the Lunicom terminal!!

I'm due out at the beginning of Feb 10. I won't be at work any later than 31 Aug 09; I will have de-kitted, I already have an ID card that expires on my last day 'in' so have been told I don't have to physically hand it in, I only need my medical and evidently I can have that in Canada if I want to and of course, it will be in civi's!! I'll probably even have 'long hair & a beard' by then!!!
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marc
We are singing of a similar song sheet, I have less than 2 months in Germany (hopefully) then back to the UK for last 6 months. I hand in my uniform before leaving Germany, with just 1 set of combats just incase. Once I arrive in the UK I have been told my current CO I will be on "gardeners leave" This is common practice for soldiers completing 22 yrs service in my experience. We all know we can be employed until the last day but again I cant believe that any sensible line manager would want a soldier accounting for equipment etc for 6 months, a month of which is leave, and a substantial amount of resettlement is required to be figured in? and like my self I have leave carried over. Taking that into consideration I expect to be available for no more than 3 months!
As for long hair - Nah! I am bald so Id look pretty stupid, but you go for it
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:12 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

Originally Posted by marcustandy
07.0212.[/B] - Private Move Arrangements. Service personnel may make private arrangements and claim the costs incurred, subject to the criteria below, for movement of their PE within the UK, and to, from and within overseas theatres.
There's probably a whole load more valuable info in there somewhere but I've got a couple of application forms to get completed and faxed!!
Something to be aware of: allowances for unaccompanied baggage are set in cubic metres, not pounds sterling. So if you make private arrangements, you can only claim pro-rata for the volume that would have been shipped at public expense. This was a clarification that arose about 4 years ago, prior to which it was common practice to make own arrangements in order to ship more volume than the MOD would at the same price.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by agr
Something to be aware of: allowances for unaccompanied baggage are set in cubic metres,
Correct - when I saw in 'sub para e' that 'the costing will be based on the actual volume (within entitlement) that the individual moved to his last assignment/location overseas' I was quite happy that we were right on the upper limit of our last move (NI to DE). The assessor did state that he hadn;t seen many moves that near used up the whole entitlement!!

Consequently, the volume that the costing will be based on for us is about as good as it gets.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

we are always over lol - got charged excess over entitlement last time (by quite a large volume), so am shedding stuff like mad...

and still chuckling that the jsp is on t'internet, although still haven't quite worked out whether they would reunite us (in Canada) with our stuff in UK storage for free... it'll be in there somewhere, i just need more coffee to find it...

as it stands i'm having to work out not only 2 shipping consignments (one self pack) and a storage consignment, but making sure there's no UK white goods or prohibited stuff in the 'storage' consignment so that we can just ship straight from storage to Canada if appropriate (whoever pays lol).

actually, i need a beer, not coffee.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

anyone want a washing machine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.