Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is everybody moving to Nova Scotia?

View Poll Results: where are you planning to move to?
AB
11.76%
BC
15.29%
MB
1.18%
NB
8.24%
NL
2.35%
NS
42.35%
ON
11.76%
PE
3.53%
QC
1.18%
SK
1.18%
Other
1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Is everybody moving to Nova Scotia?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is everybody moving to Nova Scotia?

Originally Posted by is vic there...
...we travelled around for 2 weeks....most places have no real amenities...we have 3 very active kids under 10.....club swimmers,basketball etc and if you want these facilities you seem to have to be in or around halifax....fall river,so clinical and unappealing,sackville ...messy,bedford...too ordinary..agreed property is cheap and i guess that appeals to those from the UK,but usually something is cheap for a reason..we went in the sunshine so god knows what it is like in wet,windy,foggy winter.....mahone bay was lovely,but nothing for the kids,chester was nice but again an adult community......with lots of travel into town....other area's like truro,new glasgow,kentville all seemed too ordinary and slightly down at heel.....we don't work so needed somewhere that had interesting things to do,some culture,museums etc etc and ottawa gave us this as well as excellent schooling,again something else that seemed lacking in NS .......we don't think we missed anything really,have done this exercise a few times,but NS must be good for some.
Horses for courses.

I didn't vote either. I promise
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:44 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Snip
...as excellent schooling,again something else that seemed lacking in NS .......we don't think we missed anything really,have done this exercise a few times,but NS must be good for some.
What are your criteria for excellent education? I'm a teacher (who doesn't teach but does volunteer at school) and I could not be happier with the schooling my daughter is getting. It's well balanced, no pressure on testing, small class sizes...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:28 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
Sorry to hear things have not worked out for you on Vancouver Island, especially after all you must of gone through to get into Canada.
Nanaimo looks lovely, I hope to visit sometime soon. Both my partner and I have relatives there.
I have heard and experienced the lack of communication ( especially emails) from employers here in Nova Scotia, even when they have been desperate for people. It seems to me they respond better to face to face communication, which would be difficult from another Province.
All the best for the future.
Hi thanks for that, yes it was a struggle getting here ( but when your determined). We did concider coming over, but costs and getting their from here are a nightmare.Plus we'd lose wages on top........It turned out not to be an option on the off chance. Will definitly be having are next holiday their, and who knows
Nanaimo is stunning in my opinion......and getting improved on by the wk which is good, had we of managed to get here 4 yrs ago it might of been a very different story for us.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

did a poll a while back will put a post on it so you can see where it got to
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:00 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alvic
There's just me going to Saskatchewan
Just out of curiosity, whereabouts in SK?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:02 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

We're personally hoping to head to the south interior of BC - not too far from family on Vancouver Island, Seattle and Calgary, and a day or two from my wife's hometown in SK. Prices aren't as bonkers as they are in the Vancouver area, plus you can get into Vancouver (fairly) quickly.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:29 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edsask
We're personally hoping to head to the south interior of BC - not too far from family on Vancouver Island, Seattle and Calgary, and a day or two from my wife's hometown in SK. Prices aren't as bonkers as they are in the Vancouver area, plus you can get into Vancouver (fairly) quickly.
You Hope... hope, geddit?? hahahaaaa

coat...
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:18 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

we came and looked at halifax,mahone bay,bridgewater....all seemed to lack amenities..... beaches and coastal properties weren't up to much either.....but i guess if you haven't got much money then the cheapness of NS appeals.....but not much else...
I'm not sure if its a question of not having much money. Everybody has a finite amount of money regardless of how much they have. So basically for your finite budget you can afford one thing in one province and another thing in another province. There may be some people who feel they cant afford anything at all in areas like Vancouver but for the majority its probably a question of being able to get double/triple the amount of house/land/views in NS comparred with other some other provinces rather than actually spending less.

I think a lot of people probably choose NS because of the lack of big city feel and loads of things to do - its more of a rural laid-back lifestyle so its obviously not for everyone. I'm curious to know where you did move to?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 11:02 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edsask
Just out of curiosity, whereabouts in SK?
Indian Head - where is your wife's hometown?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:42 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I'm not sure if its a question of not having much money. Everybody has a finite amount of money regardless of how much they have. So basically for your finite budget you can afford one thing in one province and another thing in another province. There may be some people who feel they cant afford anything at all in areas like Vancouver but for the majority its probably a question of being able to get double/triple the amount of house/land/views in NS comparred with other some other provinces rather than actually spending less.

I think a lot of people probably choose NS because of the lack of big city feel and loads of things to do - its more of a rural laid-back lifestyle so its obviously not for everyone. I'm curious to know where you did move to?
hello? are you there is vic there?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:56 pm
rolling uphill

Originally Posted by Alvic
Indian Head - where is your wife's hometown?
Saskatoon. Her mother's family used to live in Vawn, a tiny hamlet about 50km NW of North Battleford.