Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Evaluation of UK qualifications

Evaluation of UK qualifications

Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Evaluation of UK qualifications

Has anyone on here had to have their qualifications evaluated. I am looking for advice from anyone who has considered doing this and if it was of any benefit to them?
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evaluation of UK qualifications

Originally Posted by englishrose1
Has anyone on here had to have their qualifications evaluated. I am looking for advice from anyone who has considered doing this and if it was of any benefit to them?
Depends what you do. I never bothered and it made no difference to me. My licenses were recognised in Canada and just had to be be swapped over. Easier and faster than getting my drivers license.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

English rose,

I had my qualifications evaluated in the hope Canadian employers would be more likely to know "what theyre getting" so to speak.

I have an BTEC Higher National Certificate in mechanical engineering, many Canadian employers wouldnt recognise this and may over look my application.

So I used a company called WES (World Education Services) theyre based in Toronto and will equal your British qualifications to the relevant Canadian one. My HNC was recognised as an Ontario 3 year diploma in mechanical engineering technology.

This only applies to unregulated proffessions of course.

I can't say if its been of any benefit to me yet tho, as unfortunately I am stil unemployed, however I feel this is down to the dire ecomomic climate at present, I do believe it will be of benfit to me at some point.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Oct 19th 2009 at 6:28 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 7:18 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
English rose,

I had my qualifications evaluated in the hope Canadian employers would be more likely to know "what theyre getting" so to speak.

I have an BTEC Higher National Certificate in mechanical engineering, many Canadian employers wouldnt recognise this and may over look my application.

So I used a company called WES (World Education Services) theyre based in Toronto and will equal your British qualifications to the relevant Canadian one. My HNC was recognised as an Ontario 3 year diploma in mechanical engineering technology.

This only applies to unregulated proffessions of course.

I can't say if its been of any benefit to me yet tho, as unfortunately I am stil unemployed, however I feel this is down to the dire ecomomic climate at present, I do believe it will be of benfit to me at some point.

Paul
I'm using them too, as I also have a HND
Old Oct 19th 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

markbev is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul
Hi Paul,

What area of Engineering are you looking for work in? I am a mechanical Engineer and will be starting to look at vacancies this time next year hopefully. Have you found being an immigrant has gone against you or does lack of Canadian experience not matter?
Looking at the amount of big companies in Missasauga I was hoping that I would find something reasonably quickly.

Good luck with your job hunting.

Mark
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

I have had a look at WES today. I have a BA degree, Foundation Degree, City in Guilds all in the same subject. I have a professional membership qualification with letters after my name. Plus 7 GCSE's. I was thinking by making it easier for any prospective employer, and it will stand me in better stead in the job market in the current climate.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

One option is to find a Canadian institute / professional body that covers the same profession as you have at home. Some will assess your eligibility to join based upon academic qualifications / work experience. A friend of mine who is a quantity surveyor got the CIQS (Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors) to access him and they advise the level that he would achieve based upon his membership of the RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors).
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbev
Hi Paul,

What area of Engineering are you looking for work in? I am a mechanical Engineer and will be starting to look at vacancies this time next year hopefully. Have you found being an immigrant has gone against you or does lack of Canadian experience not matter?
Looking at the amount of big companies in Missasauga I was hoping that I would find something reasonably quickly.

Good luck with your job hunting.

Mark
Hello Mark,

My previous role was as a design draughtsman for a company that were manufacturers of weighing and packaging machinary for the food industry, and I have worked in other areas of manufacture, so basically my area is engineering draughting for the manufacturing industry.

As manufacturing has been very badly hit globally, that probably explains why I cant get work, ive even put forward propositions to construction companies - suggesting I could transfer my common skills, as there is no shortage of work in architectual draughting or in building services such as HVAC design, but theyre not interested unless you already have a background in that.

Your comment regarding lack of Canadian experience...at first I didnt think that would be an issue, as I had my qualifications recognised to the Canadian equivalent, however as jobs in the manufacturing industry are very few and far between, im beginning to think that Canadian experience is a major factor. I dont think being an immigrant is a problem after all Canada is a nation of immigrants, but experience I feel could be an issue.

By the time you start looking at vancancies, next year... the economy might well be on the up again, its got to....machines wear out and need to be replaced. I certainly hope things pick up soon, for everyone.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Oct 20th 2009 at 4:31 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

English rose,

Is your HNC accredited by the Engineering Council -UK? If so, it should be acceptable by the equivalent Canadian institute (possibly under the Sydney Accord).
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is your HNC accredited by the Engineering Council -UK? If so, it should be acceptable by the equivalent Canadian institute (possibly under the Sydney Accord).
JAJ,

Im not sure, that is something I have never looked into, I assumed that would be a higher level of education such as a degree.

At the time I just wanted to get my qualifications "translated" if you like, into something a Canadian employer would instantly recognise, im not sure if a HNC is accredited by the Engineering council UK?

At the moment it seems experience and a referal from existing employee is more important than academic qualifications to prospective employers I feel.

Paul
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ,

Im not sure, that is something I have never looked into, I assumed that would be a higher level of education such as a degree.

At the time I just wanted to get my qualifications "translated" if you like, into something a Canadian employer would instantly recognise, im not sure if a HNC is accredited by the Engineering council UK?
perhaps a good idea to start your research at: http://www.engc.org.uk

I'm surprised you have an engineering qualification and have never taken any interest in whether it is professionally accredited. Some qualifications are accredited, some are not. How the universities and education institutes get away with offering unaccredited qualifications is another question, but then if no-one asks about it ...
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

On arrival in Canada I didn't think to have have my qualifications evaluated, but three months on - yes it is worth it. I used IQAS (cic website). It does cost though.
I found in applications for jobs that I didn't satisfy the basic requirement of a K12 Diploma as in the UK we sit national externally moderated exams at 16/17/18. Doesn't matter what else you may hold (I hold a Masters degree).
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:34 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by bzriddell
I found in applications for jobs that I didn't satisfy the basic requirement of a K12 Diploma as in the UK we sit national externally moderated exams at 16/17/18. Doesn't matter what else you may hold (I hold a Masters degree).
If you have A-Levels these are usually accepted as the equivalent of Canadian high school education. And if you have a degree, who even cares?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
perhaps a good idea to start your research at: http://www.engc.org.uk

I'm surprised you have an engineering qualification and have never taken any interest in whether it is professionally accredited. Some qualifications are accredited, some are not. How the universities and education institutes get away with offering unaccredited qualifications is another question, but then if no-one asks about it ...
Well yes its worth looking into, altho Im sure Id have known before now if it was am accredited qualification. I always believed that only holders of a "degree" in Engineering were eligible for registration. I have friends that hold the same qualification as me, and its something that none of use have ever discussed.