British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Etiquette in following up applications/resumes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/etiquette-following-up-applications-resumes-829772/)

beckiwoo Mar 27th 2014 11:29 am

Etiquette in following up applications/resumes

I emailed two potential voluntary organisations in Vancouver last week.

One sent a nice email back asking me to apply as soon as I arrive, which I thanked them for.

Another asked for me to send my resume, which I sent to them but it's been a week and I haven't heard anything. Bare in mind these are for voluntary roles (not paid), I did advise them I would not be in Vancouver until September so I'm wondering if they didn't realise that.

Can I just send an email asking them how I would need to apply when I arrive or the fact they haven't replied means they are not interested in me at all - even as a volunteer?

MillieF Mar 27th 2014 12:20 pm

Re: Etiquette in following up applications/resumes

Some of these voluntary organisations are a bit slow, I have found. You don't know how often the person who ended up with your resume comes in, and in March, lots of people have leave, especially those with children.

Did you have the name of an individual that you sent your resume to Beckiwoo?

beckiwoo Mar 27th 2014 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11192954)

Did you have the name of an individual that you sent your resume to Beckiwoo?

Yes I went to the organisations website first of all and got the contact details from there, I also sent a similar email to a generic address first of all but thought then it was better to go direct. I sent this person an introductory email and then they asked for my resume.

I think I'm just anxious as it's the first time I have sent my newly Canadized resume to someone :unsure:

I might leave it until next week then and follow a polite email up

FlyingDutchman6666 Mar 27th 2014 12:31 pm

Canadian job application etiquette, at least in the technology industry, is refreshingly simple: if there is no immediate interest, you won't hear anything back. Not even a 'thanks but no thanks'.

I don't believe any rudeness is intended. It's just the way it works over here.

Of course, voluntary organizations may have a different 'culture' ...

scotsnerd Mar 27th 2014 1:43 pm

I am in a similar position... I e-mailed the generic and then human resources and heard nothing. I then e-mailed a fairly senior guy in the organisation who replied with "it would be worthwhile to have a conversation and he would speak to me soon". That was 2 weeks ago. I have followed it up yesterday. I've read that it is encouraged that you need to be persistent as opposed to in the UK where I personally would just feel like an annoyance.

Eddmac Mar 27th 2014 3:29 pm

I have been told that "blind" emailing of resumes is basically ignored, phone calls are a possibility, but face-to-face is the only real way.

Having said that, I blind emailed my resume to several possible employers, which led to an email conversation, which led to a Skype interview and a job offer

beckiwoo Mar 27th 2014 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Eddmac (Post 11193260)
I have been told that "blind" emailing of resumes is basically ignored

Yeah I was told this but my situation this person asked to see my resume as I contacted them first with an email

scotsnerd Mar 27th 2014 6:16 pm

I would say give it a week and then politely ask them if they need any further information that could help them determine if they have any suitable vacancies. Not the etiquette, just my personal opinion.

MillieF Mar 27th 2014 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by scotsnerd (Post 11193505)
I would say give it a week and then politely ask them if they need any further information that could help them determine if they have any suitable vacancies. Not the etiquette, just my personal opinion.

That sounds like a good idea....you might think that volunteer organisations might be a bit more speedy but they aren't. I 'hate' it when applications for jobs are just ignored...it is just so bloody rude. Best of luck Beckiwoo!

beckiwoo Mar 27th 2014 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11193707)
That sounds like a good idea....you might think that volunteer organisations might be a bit more speedy but they aren't. I 'hate' it when applications for jobs are just ignored...it is just so bloody rude. Best of luck Beckiwoo!

Thank you and thanks everyone for your help :)

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 28th 2014 4:03 am

Never hurts to send one follow email, but don't expect a response, but hope for one. More times then not, you will not receive a response to a resume or follow up letter, but some places do surprise you and reply, but I haven't found this is the norm, its been pretty rare in my experience to receive a reply.

Oh and even when say you get an interview and they say at the interview they will let you know either way, also don't expect a call or email, can't tell you how many times I have had interviewers say this and never received a call or email, so I don't take them seriously anymore, it seems to just be a way to avoid having applicants call and bother them after a resume.

And at times the person answering emails to the general email isn't one of any authority in the company, I check my companies email, but for resumes I just print them, delete the email, and resume goes into a file cabinet, if/when we hire the manager will go through the pile and call.

beckiwoo Mar 28th 2014 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11194136)
Never hurts to send one follow email, but don't expect a response, but hope for one. More times then not, you will not receive a response to a resume or follow up letter, but some places do surprise you and reply, but I haven't found this is the norm, its been pretty rare in my experience to receive a reply.

So if I don't receive a response, should I wait until I get to Canada and email them when I arrive then follow up with a phone call to speak directly to them?

I was surprised to get replies in the first place to be honest.

lookingtogo Mar 28th 2014 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11193707)

Agree with Millie.

To me it's downright rude but apparently it's the norm there

Siouxie Mar 28th 2014 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by lookingtogo (Post 11195157)
Agree with Millie.

To me it's downright rude but apparently it's the norm there

Yes, it's totally the norm. I applied for over 200 jobs last year and heard back from maybe 5-6 of them. After I had an interview with a non-profit organisation I had one email from them about 6 weeks after saying that they were still in 'consultation' and not another word until I emailed them 2 months later asking if there was an update.

It's very frustrating but it's just the way it is.

:)

Shirtback Mar 29th 2014 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11194136)
(...) at times the person answering emails to the general email isn't one of any authority in the company, I check my companies email, but for resumes I just print them, delete the email, and resume goes into a file cabinet, if/when we hire the manager will go through the pile and call.

Ditto. In addition: if the sender is not already in country, I have instructions NOT to print & file, but to delete.

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11194184)
So if I don't receive a response, should I wait until I get to Canada and email them when I arrive then follow up with a phone call to speak directly to them?

I was surprised to get replies in the first place to be honest.

I think it's fantastic, & encouraging (congratulations!!) that you DID get replies. In this situation, I'd call/email stating the above.

SB