Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

That ETA thing

That ETA thing

Old Jun 18th 2016, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That ETA thing

Originally Posted by Steve_
You are, she has a right of entry as a citizen, she could literally show up at a POE with a chainsaw dripping with blood (which has actually happened) and be allowed in.
I loved the chainsaw guy story. Who could possibly suspect...?

He was headed the other way (leaving Canada for the US, after committing a double murder), but I agree with your basic point.

And anyway a ten-year passport is $160 (I realize it's more abroad) so you're talking about a tiny amount of money difference really. With ETA you have to do it more frequently.
Passports for minors still need to be renewed every 5 years ($100, plus fiddling with photos, guarantors, etc.)--same duration as the eTA ($7, online approval in minutes).
Old Jun 18th 2016, 2:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Received an email today from IRCC...saying that as holders of the Super Visa we probably require ETA. Why...when we have been approved for the SV? If we use our UK PPs then we need ETA...if we use our US PPs we do not. We also have NEXUS. If we were US Permanent Residents with NEXUS...would we still need ETA?
Old Jun 18th 2016, 3:06 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Received an email today from IRCC...saying that as holders of the Super Visa we probably require ETA. Why...when we have been approved for the SV? If we use our UK PPs then we need ETA...if we use our US PPs we do not. We also have NEXUS. If we were US Permanent Residents with NEXUS...would we still need ETA?
That doesn't make sense. I love the way they say probably.... Really black and white ... not. They clearly don't know their arse from their elbow IMHO
Old Jun 18th 2016, 3:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
That doesn't make sense. I love the way they say probably.... Really black and white ... not. They clearly don't know their arse from their elbow IMHO
The email also said...our records show you may have a Super Visa. Don't they know for sure?
Old Jun 18th 2016, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If we were US Permanent Residents with NEXUS...would we still need ETA?
Yes I think so. And in the same way I understand that a Canadian PR (of a so-called visa exempt country) would still need the US visa waiver even if they have NEXUS:

I am a NEXUS or CANPASS (Air, Corporate Aircraft or Private Aircraft) member and a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. (Green Card holder). Do I need an eTA to fly to Canada?

S
Old Jun 18th 2016, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

No they don't know for sure. My husband (a CC) got a PR card reminder one.

S
Old Jun 18th 2016, 3:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Yes I think so. And in the same way I understand that a Canadian PR (of a so-called visa exempt country) would still need the US visa waiver even if they have NEXUS:

I am a NEXUS or CANPASS (Air, Corporate Aircraft or Private Aircraft) member and a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. (Green Card holder). Do I need an eTA to fly to Canada?

S
Makes no sense to me if you have NEXUS. I didn't think I'd ever say it...but thank goodness we have US PPs.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 3:33 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that by the very name of being a SUPER visa that it would it would trump any other visas and let you just about do anything... Rather like Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket.

Anyway.. I managed to track this down which is interesting..

Official notice from IRCC: With regard to ETAs, we do not know our arse from our elbow

Who would have guessed? For gawd sake don't click on it, it might have a virus
Old Jun 18th 2016, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

For gawd sake don't click on it, it might have a virus
It probably needs a consultation with you and a strong prescription then.

S
Old Jun 18th 2016, 3:39 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Snowy560
It probably needs a consultation with you and a strong prescription then.

S

Of beer or wine as it is the weekend !
Old Jun 18th 2016, 3:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I would have thought that by the very name of being a SUPER visa that it would it would trump any other visas and let you just about do anything... Rather like Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket.

Anyway.. I managed to track this down which is interesting..

Official notice from IRCC: With regard to ETAs, we do not know our arse from our elbow

Who would have guessed? For gawd sake don't click on it, it might have a virus
It's funny you should say that...2 weeks ago we flew into Pearson from the UK. Immigration officers met everyone leaving the plane and asked to see our PPs...NEXUS wouldn't cut it. When he saw our US PPs he asked if we were travelling onto the US. I said no...we had been in Canada for 2 1/2 years on the Super Visa. He was obviously quite impressed with the Super bit...he didn't even ask to see it and handed us our PPs back.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 2:12 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahBC
I flew last Friday from Gatwick > Vancouver with Westjet. I had both UK and Canadian passports with me.

As I boarded the plane, the cabin crew asked for i.d. Didn't think about it and showed my UK passport. The cabin crew immediately launched into the need for ETA speech, even as I was trying to tell them I had the correct Canadian passport.

I'd used my UK passport for checking in the original outgoing flight. I did this as I wanted to clear Gatwick customs on my UK passport. I won't do that again!

I think they would have let me on the plane with no Canadian passport. However, the cabin crew member said the rules were being relaxed until the fall.

It was very heavy-handed and I have the feeling that the airlines will be strictly enforcing ETA.

What makes me cross is that before I gained my citizenship in 2014, I'd had to renew my PR card which took 7 months (and an expensive trip to CIC Vancouver for a collection appointment - we live on Vancouver Island).

Just thought I'd share my experiences with the new system.
Interesting. I flew from Toronto to Gatwick in February using Air Transat. I'd entered my UK passport into the online check in system, showed it at the airport, and at the gate, plus at immigration in the UK. No problems at all.

When checking in for return trip there wasn't an option to enter any passport info, however, I showed my Canadian passport at check in desk, then again at gate. Used the automatic machines at Toronto, showed it to the CBSA chappy, no questions asked.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

US citizens don't need an eTA, so you are good as gold JG, as long as your supervisa is tied to the US passport.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 1:16 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
US citizens don't need an eTA, so you are good as gold JG, as long as your supervisa is tied to the US passport.
Visas aren't citizenship specific, typically.

Makes no sense to me if you have NEXUS. I didn't think I'd ever say it...but thank goodness we have US PPs.
Really NEXUS was intended for Canadians and Americans to get across the border more easily. Yes you can get it if you're another nationality but you're still dealing with ESTA and ETA and visas.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Visas aren't citizenship specific, typically.
Really? Because as far as I know if I applied for a visa in my Canadian passport, I couldn't use my Maltese passport to enter that country on that visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.