Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Estimators in Vancouver/Toronto

Estimators in Vancouver/Toronto

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Shauno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Estimators in Vancouver/Toronto

Hello all, I've noticed a couple of posts about Estimator roles in Canada and wondered if there were any QS's on here that have made the big move and settled into an estimating role.

I've been working as a QS for a main contractor for the past 7 years on a variety of commercial, education and residential projects. Ive been involved with bids, procurement, claims etc. I'm also MRICS and will be looking to come over in May (assuming the the iec applications open sometime soon)

I guess it would be useful to hear about how you managed to secure work, which types of sectors are busy and also a guide on salaries because most of the recruitment websites I've seen have been fairly sparse with regards information, although I have heard jobs are kept somewhat secret. Il be coming over initially on a working holiday then who knows...

My absolute preference would be Vancouver but if I could not find work I would then look at Toronto.

Thanks for your time

Shaun
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:33 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estimators in Vancouver/Toronto

i dont know about Vancouver or Toronto specifically...plenty of colleagues or associates i know with other major contractors here in Alberta are British QS who are now Estimators..all of them are in senior roles or are what is often termed "pre-construction" directors which means they head up the estimating department etc...im 100%sure there are many expat QS in esp Vancouver and Toronto.

I would stick to commercial contractors and steer clear of residential.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Shauno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Estimators in Vancouver/Toronto

Thanks for the response. Its a shame they split everything up as the part of the job I enjoy the most is being on site managing the commercial elements while the project is being built.

Noted re residential, it doesnt interest me really. The residential project I completed was a care home so a little different to house building.

Have you heard if the role of a claims surveyor exists out there aswell?

Thanks

Shaun