Reload this Page >

Estimator / Qs Canada Information

Estimator / Qs Canada Information

Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Jam1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Estimator / Qs Canada Information

Hi,

I am looking to move to Canada in a Qs / estimator role, and was wondering if anyone could give me information on the following:

Is there a high demand for qs's / estimators in Ontario?

Who are the best construction companies / employment agencies to contact and does anyone have any contacts that I could get in touch with?

How are the wages in Canada compared with the UK?

How are the living costs in Canada compared to the UK?

Any help would be gratefully appreciate, thanks in advance.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:59 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estimator / Qs Canada Information

They dont have QS in Canada only estimators..then there are different estimators depending which sector of the construction industry you work in. Obviously age and experience will depends what level you are at.

Estimators are more in demand in western Canada because that is where the work is, so job prospects are better and wages are higher.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Does the estimator in Canada complete a similar role to the QS in the Uk?

Have you the names of any companies or employment agencies it would be worth gettin in touch with?

Thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:17 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jam1986
Does the estimator in Canada complete a similar role to the QS in the Uk?

Have you the names of any companies or employment agencies it would be worth gettin in touch with?

Thanks
No the QS role is split between the project manager and the estimator..im in Alberta not Ontario so cant help with job searching there...others can i suspect.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

I'm pretty open on location, my 1st thought was Ontario but Alberta is also a thought, have you any companies or construction agencies that would be good to contact?

Is it a estimator you work as yourself?

Is the standard of living alot better than Uk?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:41 pm
Every day's a school day

no i was a project manager when i came over..im now a project director..anyway you dont state what kind of experience you have etc.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

I have 8 years experience as a QS / estimator working on jobs ranging from 3 million to 130 million with a main contractor and have a Bsc hons in quantity surveying, do you think that is relevant experience?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
They dont have QS in Canada only estimators..then there are different estimators depending which sector of the construction industry you work in. Obviously age and experience will depends what level you are at.

Estimators are more in demand in western Canada because that is where the work is, so job prospects are better and wages are higher.

+1

Calgary is the place IMO
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:46 pm
Every day's a school day

I'm pretty open on location, my 1st thought was Ontario but Alberta is also a thought, have you any companies or construction agencies that would be good to contact?

Is it a estimator you work as yourself?

Is the standard of living alot better than Uk?
Do you have PR or are you looking to get a TWP?

The standard of living is subjective dependent on what you are looking for...if it is purely based on what you can earn then the answer is yes
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Calgaryhammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Seems you have had some good advice already. It may be worth starting with some of the recruitment agencies in the UK. I had an e-mail yesterday from a company that it trying to recruit senior quantity surveyors for projects in Ontario!!

Some contractors that come over from the UK still maintain a QS role although in general the Canadians dont know what a QS is so if you are speaking to Candian based companies is best to use the term Estimator and/or Contracts Adimistrator.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Do you have PR or are you looking to get a TWP?

The standard of living is subjective dependent on what you are looking for...if it is purely based on what you can earn then the answer is yes
I am in the very early stages so far and I'm trying to get as much information as I can,

If you get a permanent job offer is it relatively straight forward to apply for Visa or should I start this process before?

Do you think my experience as previously stated is enough to find work in Canada?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Calgaryhammer
Hi,

Seems you have had some good advice already. It may be worth starting with some of the recruitment agencies in the UK. I had an e-mail yesterday from a company that it trying to recruit senior quantity surveyors for projects in Ontario!!

Some contractors that come over from the UK still maintain a QS role although in general the Canadians dont know what a QS is so if you are speaking to Candian based companies is best to use the term Estimator and/or Contracts Adimistrator.

Thanks, is there any particular agencies you would recommend I'm struggling to get replys from a lot of agencies?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgaryhammer
Hi,

On that note - if it's UK-linked construction companies where you may find the best fit, try getting in touch with Carillion Canada. They have a JV with EllisDon here, and are building the new hospital complex in Oakville. It's a $2bn project, but I have no connection with it to help you further, I'm afraid - there's a reference to it here http://dcnonl.com/article/id46075
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
On that note - if it's UK-linked construction companies where you may find the best fit, try getting in touch with Carillion Canada. They have a JV with EllisDon here, and are building the new hospital complex in Oakville. It's a $2bn project, but I have no connection with it to help you further, I'm afraid - there's a reference to it here http://dcnonl.com/article/id46075
Thanks I will try to contact them is there a lot of construction work currently in your area?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:55 pm
Every day's a school day

I am in the very early stages so far and I'm trying to get as much information as I can,

If you get a permanent job offer is it relatively straight forward to apply for Visa or should I start this process before?

Do you think my experience as previously stated is enough to find work in Canada?
yes you could get work in Canada best bet is West though...there are lots of Brits out west working in construction more so than out east.