Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Establishing a credit history in canada !!!

Establishing a credit history in canada !!!

Old Jul 30th 2004, 4:14 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ed_and_Karen
PC wouldn't even offer me a bank account - even though I have one with HSBC! They looked at the 9 on the front of my SIN and showed me the door! I'll be sticking with HSBC. Even though they don't have many branches here, they are being very helpful.
Try again without your SIN, or else keep paying rip off fees.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

jasslily is an unknown quantity at this point

what does the 9 infront of sin number mean

is it like a temporary sin number ?
Old Jul 30th 2004, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ed_and_Karen is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by iaink
Try again without your SIN, or else keep paying rip off fees.
For now, I'll keep paying the rip off fees (actually, HSBC aren't that bad for their Internet account). I'm half way through getting a mortgage and establishing a good line of credit. The bank is proving very helpful. They even helped me avoid fees for a bounced cheque caused by my silly mistake.

Much more helpful than the response I received at PC but, I suspect as always, you get what you pay for!
Old Jul 31st 2004, 6:08 pm
squarepants

How credit is rated:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/consumer...ditrating.html

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Banks applications are full of crap in Canada. You fill out the form, then it says SIN is optional.

Most people tell you not to put your SIN on application forms if you do not have to. Only tax, cp and for employment purposes.

Ok, so you don`t put your SIN on the form and they turn you away. They always insist you put down your SIN details.

Why do they say it`s optional when really it is not? It is basically a requirment so they can check your credit rating.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:04 am
squarepants

Default Re: Establishing a credit history in canada !!!

Most banks will want your SIN when you are applying for a credit card, its just a way of covering their own bacon and tracking you, must you do a runner.

Good Karma helps !

Originally Posted by BritBob
Banks applications are full of crap in Canada. You fill out the form, then it says SIN is optional.

Most people tell you not to put your SIN on application forms if you do not have to. Only tax, cp and for employment purposes.

Ok, so you don`t put your SIN on the form and they turn you away. They always insist you put down your SIN details.

Why do they say it`s optional when really it is not? It is basically a requirment so they can check your credit rating.

Old Sep 17th 2004, 10:58 pm
squarepants

The SIN thing is for them to cover their own BACON, in the UK, you are not asked for you national insurance number, and that is why people get to move around easily

Originally Posted by BritBob

Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

does anyone know of a way to start building history while still in the uk? i have an address i can use in calgary. can i apply for a store card? or open a bank account without pr yet?
Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:42 am
squarepants

The answer to that dude, is no you can't start building a credit history yet without being a PR and have a valid SIN card. You will have to be here physical to apply for one, and if you are not working and having been there for a while, your chance of getting a card IS SLIM.

If you sieve thru' this thread, you might have seen SECURED CARDS being mentioned, that is your only chance of building a credit history when you get here, and start working. Stay away from store cards, they might be able to get, but you will be paying 25. something % interest, not really worth it to be honest.

I have heard people opening accounts in the UK with HSBC, and then transfering it over here, but they do not have branches everywhere.

http://www.ukpersonal.hsbc.co.uk/

Originally Posted by owen
does anyone know of a way to start building history while still in the uk? i have an address i can use in calgary. can i apply for a store card? or open a bank account without pr yet?

Last edited by squarepants; Sep 18th 2004 at 12:24 pm.

Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

ScotiaBank gave me a $2000 credit limit based on the fact that I keep at least $2400 in their MoneyMaster (Savings Account). You are only allowed 20 per cent over the limit hence the $2400. This with a sister who works at that particular bank and is friends with the manager who opened my account.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:38 pm
squarepants

Is this a secured or unsecured credit card? TD bank will give you the same thing if you leave a deposit of $500 ( that you can't touch ). A secured credit card, and after a year, you get your money back, it takes 6 months to build a credit history anyway.

Originally Posted by CDNReturner
ScotiaBank gave me a $2000 credit limit based on the fact that I keep at least $2400 in their MoneyMaster (Savings Account). You are only allowed 20 per cent over the limit hence the $2400. This with a sister who works at that particular bank and is friends with the manager who opened my account.

Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:50 pm
Friar.Tuck

Originally Posted by squarepants
Is this a secured or unsecured credit card? TD bank will give you the same thing if you leave a deposit of $500 ( that you can't touch ). A secured credit card, and after a year, you get your money back, it takes 6 months to build a credit history anyway.
A credit rating can be build in one day if you have a big enough deposit for whatever you want to buy.

I got a motgage through Scotiabank six weeks after arriving in Canada.

I put down 50% on the house, a mortgage was no problem.

A history, by definition takes time.

Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:55 pm
squarepants

Listen.....what exactly is your problem, if you are trying to be a smart-ass or on an ego trip, take it somewhere else, am not interested YES ....we know if you leave a big deposit, you will get a mortgage, but how many have the capital to do that?

The link and info here, are for the average joe, not moneybags like yourself I see you just joined, you might want to take time to read the whole thread, before jumping in like a nincompoop !

Originally Posted by Friar.Tuck
A credit rating can be build in one day if you have a big enough deposit for whatever you want to buy.

I got a motgage through Scotiabank six weeks after arriving in Canada.

I put down 50% on the house, a mortgage was no problem.

A history, by definition takes time.

Old Sep 19th 2004, 12:06 am
Friar.Tuck

Originally Posted by squarepants
Listen.....what exactly is your problem, if you are trying to be a smart-ass or on an ego trip, take it somewhere else, am not interested YES ....we know if you leave a big deposit, you will get a mortgage, but how many have the capital to do that?

The link and info here, are for the average joe, not moneybags like yourself I see you just joined, you might want to take time to read the whole thread, before jumping in like a nincompoop !
The thing is squarepanties, that a lot of the people coming in from Britain WILL have a large cash deposit available to them.

You may be Mr Average, but not everyone is!

Old Sep 19th 2004, 12:12 am
squarepants

You know this how? Listen....once again the links and advice there is for people that want to know how to go about things here. If you think am MR average fine, you seem to know my financial situation for some reason

Even if people have money with them when they come over, the last thing you want to do, is jump right into the housing market, especially if you haven't got a job lined up.

Once again....spend time read the forum and the thread before you open your mouth. Am drawing the mods attention to your silly posts, because its people like you that start flaming, and when it gets to you, you start trying to make people feel sorry for you

Originally Posted by Friar.Tuck
The thing is squarepanties, that a lot of the people coming in from Britain WILL have a large cash deposit available to them.

You may be Mr Average, but not everyone is!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.