Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ESTA, UK passport, Canada to USA by car

Wikiposts

ESTA, UK passport, Canada to USA by car

Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:21 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA, UK passport, Canada to USA by car

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
So,how come Canadians don't need it but permamnent residents in Canada (from other countries) do? visa rules?
because Visa rules go on the passport you hold, not where you live
Old Mar 27th 2013, 2:15 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wolstie
Was this at Ogdensburg?

Did you have to show them a print out of your ESTA in order for them to do this, or did it just pop up automatically that you had a valid one?
Yep Ogdensbug

They asked if we had ESTA and they found it on the system themselves.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JB0591
Yep Ogdensbug

They asked if we had ESTA and they found it on the system themselves.
They've not asked us that before (usually cross there or Massena once a month). Will print out ESTAs and take them with us next time. Should save quite a bit of cash now.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TorontoBartender is an unknown quantity at this point

Can British passport holders apply for the Nexus Scheme?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TorontoBartender
Can British passport holders apply for the Nexus Scheme?
If you have PR status in Canada or the US then YES if not and here on TWPs etc then NO.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...admis-eng.html
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TorontoBartender is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If you have PR status in Canada or the US then YES if not and here on TWPs etc then NO.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...admis-eng.html
Thanks I thought this was the case
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:54 pm
x 0 x

They've not asked us that before (usually cross there or Massena once a month). Will print out ESTAs and take them with us next time. Should save quite a bit of cash now.
Sorry but you still have to pay $6.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulandsophia
Both Peace Arch and Aldergrove have told me that anytime soon an ESTA will be required for land crossings also and to get one when my I94 expires (on the 28th of this month).

They told me to bring the paperwork in and they'll stamp my passport and there will be no requirement to complete the I94 card.

Paul
Last time we went to the US, we were asked if we had an ESTA. I thought what?!! We have one but we didn't have it with us! The US border guard didn't elaborate further. Thanks for the explanation
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JB0591
Sorry but you still have to pay $6.

Is it a one off payment, i.e. is the white paper they issue valid till the end of your ESTA, or do you still have to go into the office every 3 months and pay the $6?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man, really, you have to pay $6 each even if you have an ESTA? Wow. We are flying to Vancouver next month, and were planning to cross the border by car.

Question though, do you have to have a Canadian passport to be waved on through without paying, or is proof of citizenship enough? I have my birth certificate, and my son has his citizenship certificate, but neither of us have current Canadian passports just now - we are both on British passports.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
Oh man, really, you have to pay $6 each even if you have an ESTA? Wow. We are flying to Vancouver next month, and were planning to cross the border by car.

Question though, do you have to have a Canadian passport to be waved on through without paying, or is proof of citizenship enough? I have my birth certificate, and my son has his citizenship certificate, but neither of us have current Canadian passports just now - we are both on British passports.
Canadian citizenship is Canadian citizenship regardless of what type of document its on. As long as you can prove citizenship then they should accept it even if on a UK passport.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Canadian citizenship is Canadian citizenship regardless of what type of document its on. As long as you can prove citizenship then they should accept it even if on a UK passport.
OK that's good then, thank you
Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:33 am
x 0 x

Is it a one off payment, i.e. is the white paper they issue valid till the end of your ESTA, or do you still have to go into the office every 3 months and pay the $6?
The white visa is only valid for 90 days and yep I assume it is $6 for a new one. Not 100% what the benefit of this white form process will be (compared to i94). Apart from not having to sign any forms.