Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Environmental handling fee

Environmental handling fee

Old Jun 3rd 2017, 2:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Environmental handling fee

I've often seen this mentioned with advertised prices. Usually with "where appropriate" added.

It seems as if New Brunswick is now an appropriate place as the BestBuy flyer has EHF added to the price of most electricals and apparently this came in for NB from 1st June.

I don't recall seeing it in the paper.

Anyone else have it? No doubt there's a guide somewhere. It's not a fixed % or a fixed fee.

It's $46 for a $600 TV (50") and the same for a $3345 (55") and $31 for a 32" @ $250 and $16 for a 19" @$135.
So it appears size related rather than cost related.

$16 for an all in one desktop and $4.50 for laptops.

Most surprising is an EHF for earphones and it's $1.50 regardless of whether they're $7.98 or $281. Seriously?

There's an environmental handling fee to keep earphones out of landfill? How does that work.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 3:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Environmental handling fee

They get tacked on to some appliances here (not TV'S AFAIK), but they're usually only a few bucks. Not that it matters much because anything that is made of metal, I dismantle and sell to the local scrap yard. Depending on the size of the appliance and the price of steel I can get $15-$30 for a fridge, and nearly as much for a washer. Cookers are a bit less, at around $5-$10. The wiring and motors I strip out and sell separately.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We pay an environmental handling fee on lots of things, and have done for several years.

The money has been used to set up recycling depots that take almost everything, in addition to the council's collecting of compost, paper / glass / cans / plastic bottles and containers, and garbage!

We can now take most batteries, styrofoam food containers and packaging, plastic food bags (eg for bread), all kinds of metal (stools, tables) to a Return-It recycle depot.

That's in addition to TVs, appliances, etc etc that we can take to the city's main recycling depot.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 12:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
The money has been used to set up recycling depots that take almost everything, in addition to the council's collecting of compost, paper / glass / cans / plastic bottles and containers, and garbage!

We can now take most batteries, styrofoam food containers and packaging, plastic food bags (eg for bread), all kinds of metal (stools, tables) to a Return-It recycle depot...
We've had all that, too, since at least the time I've been here. I have to wonder what provincial taxes are for if not for something like this. If they need more, put those taxes up.

I suppose in true Canada style there will be a third credit/refund to go with the original GST/HST (depending on your province) and the recent 'new' supplemental (my word) credit that some provinces have. Will it be called the EHF credit?

I find a lot of this quite annoying. I had that thread a while ago about about recycling. It seems almost everywhere in the house where there's a bin/waste paper basket that there has to be three bins.

Sit down with an apple and a yogurt and the apple core has to go in green, the yogurt lid in clear and the yogurt tub in blue. Unless it's one of those plastics with a 6 on it in which case it goes in clear.

Anyone having a bar of chocolate, outer layer/wrapper in blue, inner wrapper in clear. Even the empty cookie pack goes in two different places depending on the number on the 'tray', if you can read it.

In the bathroom, cardboard tubes from bog rolls in blue, plasters/Q-tips in clear and Scott towels in green.

Oh yes, something I didn't realise when that new system came in - glass jars and bottles are not recycled. They go in clear. That's the clear clear bag as opposed to blue clear and green clear bags.

They should pay us for sorting.

But I digress.

We have the recycling places but none of them are convenient for carrying a sack full of 2l pop bottles so we put them out on garbage night - separate to the rest - and some guy collects them, presumably to supplement his income.

But it's the disposal of other items that annoys me. We do have a large item pick up every 5 weeks that has to be booked - it used to be once a year but the city decided this new scheme saved money.

They take TVs but not computer monitors.
Those and hazardous stuff can be dropped off at some of the 'convenient' centres - great if you've got transport.

Additionally they have what they call mobile collection points. They're not really mobile in that they come around, they're mobile in that for these two days they'll be in that place, another couple of days somewhere else and a day elsewhere.

Trouble is where they go is even more inconvenient than the regular drop-off.

So now there's now a further fee on the purchase price to cover disposal that we pay for anyway.

Tell you what, in addition to that third credit/refund, let's have another one or an exemption for transportless folk.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I had to buy a new blow dryer today after mine blew something this morning

Conair Infinite Blow dryer $21.99
+
Levy 40c

GST was charged on both :lol

The advantage we have over you is that we do have a car (although I don't drive), but OH can the non-working one to the place that takes "small appliances" ........... when I find the information sheet that tells me where to go!
Old Jun 4th 2017, 12:31 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by scilly
Conair Infinite Blow dryer $21.99
+
Levy 40c

Sounds like a good deal compared to $1.50 on eight dollar earphones!!

There doesn't seem to be a fee on hair dryers here. Not that I have a need for one.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

wot no hair
Old Jun 4th 2017, 7:40 pm
Oscar nominated

Old Jun 4th 2017, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Our highest fee in BC right now is $35 on display electronics over 46".

Most amounts are fairly small.

https://www.return-it.ca/cfm/index.c...oad&AD=46,Dlf1

Upside of the fees is there is no charge to drop off electronics at the recycling places.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 1:16 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Upside of the fees is there is no charge to drop off electronics at the recycling places.
I'm still amazed that earphones, tiddly little earphones are included.

Perhaps I could mail them in an envelope to the recylce centre.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 1:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess they want you to recycle them once your done..

If your bored try a mock amazon order for ear buds and see if they charge the enviro fee. Not sure if ear buds have enviro fee added in BC, I bought mine at 7/11 and they only charged pst/gst and amazon using my address doesn't add an enviro fee either.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm still amazed that earphones, tiddly little earphones https://www.shareicon.net/download/1...ic_512x512.png are included.

Perhaps I could mail them in an envelope to the recylce centre.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 2:16 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I guess they want you to recycle them once your done..
They'll go in the blue bag and be recycled which was the system here for many years. Nothing has changed except the new charge for something that was done for years.

If your bored try a mock amazon order for ear buds and see if they charge the enviro fee. Not sure if ear buds have enviro fee added in BC,
The fee for ear buds is definitely on BestBuy, even the cheapies.

On Staples it's there but not for the cheapies ($7).

On Amazon, nothing for ear buds but it was there for the TV.

Three different systems then.