Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Entry to Canada with $10,000 ?

Entry to Canada with $10,000 ?

Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of
Question Entry to Canada with $10,000 ?

Hi there,

Can anyone help please? I know you are only allowed to enter Canada with $10,000 cash but is that per family or per adult?

Thanks

Julie
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Canada with $10,000 ?

Originally Posted by thedignans
Hi there,

Can anyone help please? I know you are only allowed to enter Canada with $10,000 cash but is that per family or per adult?

Thanks

Julie
Why would anyone carry that sort of cash around anyway unless you are Colombian ?
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:59 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Where did you find such absurd info? You can bring as much as you want to Canada, even billions if you have that kind of cash.

Up to $10,000 may be brought without reporting it, if you are bringing more than $10K you must report it (for anti money laundering purposes, just as in every other developed country) and you may be asked to explain the source. But there is no limit how much you can bring.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of

i was under the impression that you were only allowed to bring $10,000 in through the POE...again is that per family or per person???
i only ask cos we are finding it a pain in the arse to open a canadian bank account from the UK..so we may need a few bob in hand when we land...( for a car, initial rental fees, etc....
so a straight forward answer would be appreciated...

julie
Old Oct 14th 2007, 5:20 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

i was under the impression that you were only allowed to bring $10,000 in through the POE...again is that per family or per person???
i only ask cos we are finding it a pain in the arse to open a canadian bank account from the UK..so we may need a few bob in hand when we land...( for a car, initial rental fees, etc....

julie
Andrew already gave you a straight forward answer, please re-read post.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:52 pm
Pictou County Superstarā„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Is this what you're looking for??

http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/immigra...lled/funds.asp

julie
Old Oct 14th 2007, 10:01 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Mike, if you bring over more than $10,000 cash/travellers cheques then declare it on your landing card which is handed out on the flight. The problems only occur if you don't declare it (saw the interrogation on an OZ tv programme ).

We brought in about $10,000 in cash to put straight into a bank account here to last us until our house equity came through. Wear a money belt.

Also keep some money in the UK for using your UK credit cards. Organise to pay the bill by online banking from your UK bank account.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 10:52 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but WHY? Cash is a pain in the "Nether Area" these days.

Keep the money in your UK Bank, open the Canadian Account with as little as $1, then have your UK bank wire the money to your new account, or just write a cheque on your UK account and deposit it to your new account (this does take longer for you to get your hands on the money, as you have to wait for the cheque to clear).

Or pay the money into your UK credit card, and transfer it to your new bank account when its opened.

Or take a Uk Bank draft made out to yourself (you will still have to declare this at customs as it is a "Monetary Instrument" )

These options are all safer than cash.

No worries about:- Losing it, Theft, drawing attention to yourself at customs etc. etc.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

julie
Hi Julie, as Andrew says, you can bring in as much as you want. There are plenty of ggod suggestions here on how to procede However, to open a Canadian bank account, you will need a Social Insurance Number here I believe.

Last edited by johnh009; Oct 14th 2007 at 11:53 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 12:11 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Hi Julie, as Andrew says, you can bring in as much as you want. There are plenty of ggod suggestions here on how to procede However, to open a Canadian bank account, you will need a Social Insurance Number here I believe.
No you don't need a SIN number to open a bank account.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:22 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

julie
Though I am personally not a great fan of HSBC a lot of people have gone to their local branch in the Uk and opened one. Then bring a little bit of money (not $10,000 cash) open up a canadian HSBC and get the money transferred.

There are ways, and carrying large amounts of cash is just not one of them and is so yesterday.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Though I am personally not a great fan of HSBC a lot of people have gone to their local branch in the Uk and opened one. Then bring a little bit of money (not $10,000 cash) open up a canadian HSBC and get the money transferred.

There are ways, and carrying large amounts of cash is just not one of them and is so yesterday.
hi there,

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am on the process of opening a Canadian Bank Account , but they what i.d and the list of items they except are all Canadian. So it seems like a catch 22.
I got in touch with the Royal Bank of Canada they seemed really helpful and they are sending me out an application pack so fingers crosssed it is a bit more straight forward.
The $10,000 i was going to take was to buy a car and tide us over until we got our bank sorted our then we would have transfered the rest of our money as and when we needed it.
thanks for all the advice
Julie
Old Oct 15th 2007, 1:27 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The danger of having no cash is that canadian banks are notorous for looooong hold on funds for new customers. But if you can open an account in advance and wire money over in advance it should not be a problem. Bringing a cheque or draft could well be though. Cash and interac daily limits will also be a hassle for kitting out a house, buying a car etc if you dont have an acceptable credit card ( I used my UK one and figured out a way to pay the bill in the UK), but I suppose you might get lucky and find somewhere that still takes personal cheques (increasing unusual though)

You can bring as much cash as you like, you just have to report anything in excess of $10k to comply with money laundering regulations. Not reporting it can lead to big trouble, but its not like they are going to tax you on it, so feel free to report it.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 15th 2007 at 1:58 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 1:53 pm

KRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought $10,000 in cash. I used it to buy beds, couches tv and and other essentials that I didn't ship. At the time my Td canada bank account would only "allow" me to take $1500 cash per week and make a direct interac purchase of $1000! I have since had this changed but it just was easier for me who was buying large value items in the first few days.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

nagajara is on a distinguished road

We landed with no cash (all our money was in Scotland). Scotia bank gave us a bank account, visa & mortgage. All we needed was a copy of our landing papers to open everything. If you have a switch/maestro card - you can withdraw cash from any ATM - just like uk! It only costs around $1.50.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.