Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Entering USA over land crossing

Entering USA over land crossing

Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:37 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entering USA over land crossing

Sure this question has been asked lots but I can't find it in the search function.

Travelling from AB to Montana this afternoon, do I need to fill out any forms prior to this? UK citizen over here on IEC work permit and I have my ESTA form already purchased.

Thanks!!
Old Jul 25th 2014, 7:59 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering USA over land crossing

Answer to the post from FL

"Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmama View Post

Driving to the states from BC in a few weeks, not sure what we will need at the border? PR cards, UK passports anything else? Do we need to complete an ESTA? Anything else?

No ESTA required just the $6 per person for the I94 waiver."
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

How did you find the land crossing dude? Any hassles?

I'm planning on doing it quite shortly to pick up some car parts and maybe take the girlfriend down for a night...
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

Having the etsa makes it quicker as you don't have to fill in the forms and less questions.
We did it last week without one and the couple next to us had it.

And the us customs person suggested we get one to save us time.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 9:50 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

My husband had to pop to the States this week to write an exam. It was the first time from here that he had driven over the border. Going in, he was minutes, but coming back they asked him if he had bought anything and he said "yes, a bottle of Scotch" they then charged him $30 duty and took our car apart....floor mats up, pulling the bumper back and getting under it...the whole nine yards...I'd sort of imagined the Border Patrol programme was exaggerated for the sake of poetic licence...evidently not! Other than that, it was good....and he passed his exam!
Old Jul 30th 2014, 1:22 pm
Weegie in Calgary

Originally Posted by haggis88
How did you find the land crossing dude? Any hassles?

I'm planning on doing it quite shortly to pick up some car parts and maybe take the girlfriend down for a night...
Nope easy, went through Carway border to the US they gave me the I-94 and sent me on my way, coming back we went through Kingsway to BC, declared that we both bought booze and food for camping, waited an hour to fill out my visa and off we went.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
My husband had to pop to the States this week to write an exam. It was the first time from here that he had driven over the border. Going in, he was minutes, but coming back they asked him if he had bought anything and he said "yes, a bottle of Scotch" they then charged him $30 duty and took our car apart....floor mats up, pulling the bumper back and getting under it...the whole nine yards...I'd sort of imagined the Border Patrol programme was exaggerated for the sake of poetic licence...evidently not! Other than that, it was good....and he passed his exam!
And they wonder why people don't declare things... Seems you get screwed even when you try and do the right thing and declare it.

Originally Posted by cbrown89
waited an hour to fill out my visa and off we went.
What? If you're here on an IEC already what did they need to do? Or were you doing a flagpole as part of this trip?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 3:17 pm
Weegie in Calgary

Originally Posted by Gozit
And they wonder why people don't declare things... Seems you get screwed even when you try and do the right thing and declare it.

What? If you're here on an IEC already what did they need to do? Or were you doing a flagpole as part of this trip?
Activating second work permit.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Activating second work permit.