Reload this Page >

Enhanced Reliability Security Clearance

Enhanced Reliability Security Clearance

Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:20 pm
Banned

Johnson is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Enhanced Reliability Security Clearance

Hi,
I recently moved to Canada permanently. Although I got permanent residence in 2007 but I continued my project in Saudi Arabia. Before leaving that country I got police clearance certificate from Saudi Police where I lived and worked for the last 6 years. I've also brought with me police clearance certificate from my country of birth.

My question is: shall I able to get enhanced reliability security clearance, given the fact that I didn't live in Canada more than a few weeks. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:48 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enhanced Reliability Security Clearance

Hi

Originally Posted by Johnson
Hi,
I recently moved to Canada permanently. Although I got permanent residence in 2007 but I continued my project in Saudi Arabia. Before leaving that country I got police clearance certificate from Saudi Police where I lived and worked for the last 6 years. I've also brought with me police clearance certificate from my country of birth.

My question is: shall I able to get enhanced reliability security clearance, given the fact that I didn't live in Canada more than a few weeks. Thanks in advance.
1. The only persons who usually require Enhanced Reliability checks are employees of the Federal Gov't or contractors working on Gov't contracts. So unless you fall into the above categories, it is a moot point.
2. If you do fall into the above categories, the check is done by CSIS, so it is anyone's guess how it will be completed.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 12:43 pm
Banned

Thank you very much, PMM, for your reply. I can qualify for some positions in Ottawa but they require enhanced reliabilty security clearance. If I didn't live in Canada for more than a couple of months but have police clearance certificates from the country where I lived for the last 6 years, shall I be able to get enhanced reliability security clearance?
Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:42 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you very much, PMM, for your reply. I can qualify for some positions in Ottawa but they require enhanced reliabilty security clearance. If I didn't live in Canada for more than a couple of months but have police clearance certificates from the country where I lived for the last 6 years, shall I be able to get enhanced reliability security clearance?
No, they won't take into consideration your police certificates. It is done by CSIS with no input from the applicant. The Security clearances are started after you qualify for a position, but you will not be hired for the position until the security clearance is done.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Rockyhill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I am trying to get my security celarance sorted. My enhanced reliability application was submitted in October last year and still not through yet. Good luck but I know of a coleague who is still waiting from April 2009. I can't offer any advice as every time we query what the hold up is we get a different story. PS. We both have SC clearance in the UK.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:31 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockyhill
Hi. I am trying to get my security celarance sorted. My enhanced reliability application was submitted in October last year and still not through yet. Good luck but I know of a coleague who is still waiting from April 2009. I can't offer any advice as every time we query what the hold up is we get a different story. PS. We both have SC clearance in the UK.
I have enhanced reliability clearance - a contractor working with the Feds.

Needed to get a police certificate from UK and complete the clearance form. Then waited several months before being called to an RCMP office where they took fingerprints. Then waited some more (think a couple of months) before the clearance came through.

My understanding is that the RCMP manage this process and not CSIS. They might get involved in Secret clearance which is the next stage up and much harder to get. This said, a Canadian I know who was born in Thailand (to a diplomat) and lived in France for a couple of years had to go through questions and an interview process to get enhanced reliability, whereas I didn't.

The clearance thing is a pain in the ass for new arrivals as it puts a barrier between you and getting a job, even for temp work.

Good luck and hope it comes through quickly.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
My understanding is that the RCMP manage this process and not CSIS. They might get involved in Secret clearance which is the next stage up and much harder to get.
Pretty sure CSIS are involved with a secret clearance: mine took about six months and just involved filling out some forms, getting a police check from the UK and having fingerprints taken at work.

The downside is that if you're not a Canadian citizen then a secret clearance doesn't cover 'Canadian eyes only' secrets; doesn't matter in my job, but would in a lot of areas that deal more directly with the government.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:45 am
Banned

Thanks Rockeyhill, Lemonfish, MarkG for your input.
Would you please tell how much time you spent in Canada before applying for enhanced reliability security clearance. Is there any minimum time limit requirement in terms of stay in Canada that the applicant must fulfill before he can get this certificate?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Would you please tell how much time you spent in Canada before applying for enhanced reliability security clearance. Is there any minimum time limit requirement in terms of stay in Canada that the applicant must fulfill before he can get this certificate?
I'd been in the country about six months: I don't believe there's a minimum time as such for anything below Top Secret, which requires references from Canadians who've known you for several years and would generally only be applicable to citizens.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Rockyhill is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rockeyhill, Lemonfish, MarkG for your input.
My Enhanced Clearance came through yesterday. . I have been in the country nearly 3 years but only applied when I became a landed immigrant. It took 4-5 months but I don't think time served in Canada is a factor.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 3:24 pm
Banned

Thank you very much MarkG, Rockyhill for this feedback.