Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

English Premiership on Canadian TV

English Premiership on Canadian TV

Old May 18th 2004, 12:08 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute
Default English Premiership on Canadian TV

Hi,
Being a diehard Arsenal fan, I'm gonna be gutted having to give up my regular visits to Highbury when we move to Canada, however the wife's delighted!
Do Canadian TV channels show a lot of the English (Arsenal!) games? If so which network/sattalite/cable system is the best? This may sound a bit sad, but it's the main 'con' on my pros/cons list!! (my parents are 2nd - joke!).
Cheers,
Col - on his way to Vancouver on Thursday for his fact finding mission (including tv shops!!!)
Old May 18th 2004, 12:21 am
mickj

Default Re: English Premiership on Canadian TV

At least you were still there to witness one of the biggest premiership histories. Being a proper londoner, it has not been the same watching ARSENAL on TV here, i'll rather be watching Des Linam or Gary Lineker presenting the games than people that can't even pronounce the club names right, or know nothing about the game.

Anyway....i had to stop and watch the game against Leicester on Saturday ( which happen to be our anniversary ) in Milestones ( a restaurant in Toronto ). Yes the games are shown on TV here, on FOX SPORTS WORLD, and SPORTNET ( channel 21/22 here in Ontario ). Italian games are on TLN

Non of that Hockey Malarkey for me, can't stand a bunch of girls running around on ice hitting each other with sticks, i will like to see them do that with Viera, Roy Keane, Keown on a football field .

Originally posted by Bleech
Hi,
Being a diehard Arsenal fan, I'm gonna be gutted having to give up my regular visits to Highbury when we move to Canada, however the wife's delighted!
Do Canadian TV channels show a lot of the English (Arsenal!) games? If so which network/sattalite/cable system is the best? This may sound a bit sad, but it's the main 'con' on my pros/cons list!! (my parents are 2nd - joke!).
Cheers,
Col - on his way to Vancouver on Thursday for his fact finding mission (including tv shops!!!)

Old May 18th 2004, 12:30 am

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mickj
At least you were still there to witness one of the biggest premiership histories. Being a proper londoner, it has not been the same watching ARSENAL on TV here, i'll rather be watching Des Linam or Gary Lineker presenting the games than people that can't even pronounce the club names right, or know nothing about the game.

Anyway....i had to stop and watch the game against Leicester on Saturday ( which happen to be our anniversary ) in Milestones ( a restaurant in Toronto ). Yes the games are shown on TV here, on FOX SPORTS WORLD, and SPORTNET ( channel 21/22 here in Ontario ). Italian games are on TLN

Non of that Hockey Malarkey for me, can't stand a bunch of girls running around on ice hitting each other with sticks, i will like to see them do that with Viera, Roy Keane, Keown on a football field .
Hi Mick, Yeah totally agreed, I can't get into the hockey and baseball stuff, I guess I'll have to give it a real try if/WHEN we eventually get over there.
Ps/ Game on Saturday was excellent, real party, especially in the Gunners afterwards
Old May 18th 2004, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway....i had to stop and watch the game against Leicester on Saturday

Hey Mick, weren't you just a tad worried when Leicester were 1 goal up?

Old May 18th 2004, 12:59 am
mickj

Not at all geezer ! At that point, i was busy wrestling my "well done steak with mashed potatoes", not even what my better half was saying, was sinking it :-)

Nah....it was a good day all-in-all. The celebrations then moved on to Niagara-on-the-lake, where the weather was gorgeous, and a lot british folks were out and about, especially in the scottish store on Queens Street.

I had it my way this time, we didn't go into the XMAS SHOP there :-)

I guess it just goes to show you that money can't buy you the EPL title, and love. May be temporarily, but not in the long run !

Originally posted by stepnek
Hey Mick, weren't you just a tad worried when Leicester were 1 goal up?

Old May 18th 2004, 1:02 am

Not at all geezer ! At that point, i was busy wrestling my "well done steak with mashed potatoes", not even what my better half was saying, was sinking it :-)

Nah....it was a good day all-in-all. The celebrations then moved on to Niagara-on-the-lake, where the weather was gorgeous, and a lot british folks were out and about, especially in the scottish store on Queens Street.

I had it my way this time, we didn't go into the XMAS SHOP there :-)

I guess it just goes to show you that money can't buy you the EPL title, and love. May be temporarily, but not in the long run !
You should of seen the North Bank rocking!! Scarey!
Old May 18th 2004, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's no doubt that Arsenal are one of the great teams of all time and it's proved to be quite a discussion point over here on the radio etc. It would be good for them to win in Europe though next season to confirm their status.

Me? I'm just hoping that West Ham can win the play offs but I'm not confident!
Old May 18th 2004, 2:30 am
mickj

Ah.....a hammers fan ! How far do you live from the boleyn? My sister use to live by the white horse pub just pass the town hall by central park, but she is an arsenal fan, and use to get a lot of stick :-)

I hope west ham do well, as they've always gifted us a lot of wins in the past, and taking our unwanted players of us :-) Its a little nice area round there, and people love their football, am always down there during the weekend when i was there, to buy my vegetables and cooking stuff from the market across the ground.
Attached Thumbnails English Premiership on Canadian TV-drivespace.gif  

Old May 18th 2004, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

Well as an Ipswich fan who was at Portman Road on Saturday for the first leg I can say wholeheartedly that I hope West Ham do NOT win the playoffs. Unless we get beaten by them tonight, in which case I'm ambivalent about the whole thing. Don't really care for Palace either.

Anyways, I'm ruddy nervous right now. Only a few hours to go.

Cheers, Iain
Old May 18th 2004, 2:57 am
mickj

Well....just in case west ham does the business and go all the way, don't ask this software for help:

Originally posted by Iain Mc
Well as an Ipswich fan who was at Portman Road on Saturday for the first leg I can say wholeheartedly that I hope West Ham do NOT win the playoffs. Unless we get beaten by them tonight, in which case I'm ambivalent about the whole thing. Don't really care for Palace either.

Cheers, Iain
Attached Thumbnails English Premiership on Canadian TV-word.gif  

Old May 18th 2004, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Iain Mc
Don't really care for Palace either.

Cheers, Iain
Well, I'm sharing your nerves but for the opposite reason! Anyway Crystal Palace seem to have really come into form just recently so I've a sneaking suspicion that whoever wins tonight and then goes on to play Palace will have a hard time.
Old May 18th 2004, 5:00 am

Thumbs up

Hey Mick, seen as I'm a fellow Gooner ie.family, I take it that means that you'll sponser me??
Old May 18th 2004, 5:08 am
mickj

That is so flippin right geezer, and i can pick you up at this end, GUNNERS STYLEEEEEEEEEEE :-) Am quite happy to grant you that extra 10-20 it is for family living in Canada !

Originally posted by Bleech
Hey Mick, seen as I'm a fellow Gooner ie.family, I take it that means that you'll sponser me??
Attached Thumbnails English Premiership on Canadian TV-530659-redneck_mailbox.jpg  

Last edited by mickj; May 18th 2004 at 5:17 am.

Old May 18th 2004, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future
Default Come on the BORO

Being a Boro fan i can CHIRP here, and yes the gunners did beat us TWICE in fact, but at least we knocked them out of the Carling cup.......... and went on to win it, with the fastest goal ever scored in a cup final.. So on that point, YES they did go unbeated in the Premiership league, BUT they got beaten. ONCE by us

Last edited by George-Ang; May 18th 2004 at 7:20 am.
Old May 18th 2004, 11:26 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Arsenal did not beat my team this season..

We got promoted to a higher league.. Did Arsenal?

We had an open top bus tour of town.. Like Arsenal (but ours was last wednesday, so Arsenal are just copying us.

Still, who can compare Arsenal to the mighty TORQUAY UNITED!