Engineering Work in Canada

Wikiposts

Engineering Work in Canada

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:43 am
Just Joined

CanadaDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engineering Work in Canada

Hi all,

I'm moving to Canada in mid-September and am hoping to secure employment in the Engineering sector. I've 3 years experience mainly in the area of Road construction. What city/location would have greatest engineering opportunities? I would be happy to go labouring for a few months to keep the funds in check.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering Work in Canada

Originally Posted by CanadaDreamer
Hi all,

I'm moving to Canada in mid-September and am hoping to secure employment in the Engineering sector. I've 3 years experience mainly in the area of Road construction. What city/location would have greatest engineering opportunities? I would be happy to go labouring for a few months to keep the funds in check.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi Canadadreamer,

I take it that you already have you permanent residence visa? Do you plan to try and get work before you move or try once you get here?

It sounds like your in civil engineering, I cant really give you any advice as to where to choose for that type of work, as I dont know your line of work within civil engineering. However I do know that trying to secure a job from the UK is nigh on impossible, (unless you have contacts personal or more likely thro and existing job ie a transfer)

I am a draughtsman in mechanical engineering so I chose southern Ontario for its heavy industrialised and manufacturing areas, and prepared to be flexible and move on again once I got here, Im not sure of your job within civil engineering, so that would depend on where you would head for I suppose.

I also dont know your personal circumstances ie married? family? etc or just single. If you're looking for work, being single is easier as you have no one to worry about but yourself. Just make sure you have savings, as even getting casual work here when you first move over is difficult, incidently bear in mind there isnt going to be much labouring work with road construction by the time you get here, it will be winding down by then, with winter around the corner. So make sure you have plenty of financial back up, or are prepared to do other jobs.

Paul
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks Paul for your response.

I'm a civil engineer as you guessed. My main experience would be on-site- taking levels, setting out, testing materials, etc. I have a good knowledge of Autocad 2010 and Autocad Civil 3D and would be interested in any draughting positions.

I'm single and will be travelling solo. This will give me freedom to move about and will lessen the pressure financially.

From your experience, Is Ontario a good place to place?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

barrett will become famous soon enoughbarrett will become famous soon enough

last i heard, nova scotia department of transportation is recruiting
check their website
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaDreamer
Thanks Paul for your response.

I'm a civil engineer as you guessed. My main experience would be on-site- taking levels, setting out, testing materials, etc. I have a good knowledge of Autocad 2010 and Autocad Civil 3D and would be interested in any draughting positions.

I'm single and will be travelling solo. This will give me freedom to move about and will lessen the pressure financially.

From your experience, Is Ontario a good place to place?
Yes I think Ontario as a whole is a good part of Canada to live, it has a bit of everything, when I first started to reseach Canada, I wanted to head for BC, but then realised that much what was in BC was also in Ontario (except for mountains) It has some wonderful provincial parks, and crown land, for great out door activities, Toronto is a real nice city, if you fancy city life, and plenty of industry, well for my line of work anyway.

If I were you, I would start contacting civil engineering companies (there are quite a few in Ontario) and tell them you are planning to move over to Canada in September and would like to meet with them to discuss potential opportunities, or even for an informal chat to find what many companies are looking for, that way, they dont feel obliged to discuss employment with you, but you never know what may come of it.

You didnt say weather you have got your permanent residence visa, it will be very difficult without that, as a company will then have to sponsor you, and many are not going to do that when they can employ a ready and willing Canadian imeadiately.

Paul
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:20 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

Hi CanadaDreamer

My husband is a civil engineer - road design here in Calgary. PM me if you want to know more about the job situation here.

Good luck.

The Ross Family
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

I guess i'll give Ontario serious consideration, Paul. With plenty of engineering companies and a good quality of life, it may be decent choice for me.

Will start to contact those engineering firms from all over canada and see what type of response i get. Not a bad idea.

I've got a one year Under 35 working holiday visa so perhaps temporary, contract work would suit me best
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by barrett
last i heard, nova scotia department of transportation is recruiting
check their website
Thanks Barrett
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered fort mac?

Get you some canadian experince and a little nest egg. You may be able to get a fly-in fly out position
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:54 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
Have you considered fort mac?

Get you some canadian experince and a little nest egg. You may be able to get a fly-in fly out position
Fort Mac has been good for oil and gas work; not sure what the scope is for highways over there though. I work in Project Controls and someone recomemnded Fort Mac to me a while ago but I'm not sure whats the situation with jobs etc after the oil prices touched record lows last year.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Fort Mac has been good for oil and gas work; not sure what the scope is for highways over there though. I work in Project Controls and someone recomemnded Fort Mac to me a while ago but I'm not sure whats the situation with jobs etc after the oil prices touched record lows last year.
It sounds like he has plenty of earthworks experience and surveying etc- so there should be work in fort mac.

Still plenty of work for certain skills in the oilsands............
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:34 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

To 'The Ross Family' and 'gryphea'. Do you think it's easy to get work in Project Controls for someone who is a graduate and has 3-4 years experience from the UK?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:48 am
Just Joined

DJNG is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been up in Fort Mac for a couple of years now and things are picking up quickly - lots of civil work both in construction and mining so it would be worth a try. Contact a couple of headhunters with your resume e.g. The Design Group, Executrade, Roevin
Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Had not considered fort mac but will definately look into it. I'll try those agencies. If i got work there, i'd go in a heartbeat.