Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

End of Dual Citizenship

End of Dual Citizenship

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:22 am
Just Joined

toNanaimo will become famous soon enoughtoNanaimo will become famous soon enough
Default End of Dual Citizenship

Conservatives to revisit dual citizenship, senior Tory says

Allan Woods, CanWest News Service
Published: Thursday, September 21, 2006
OTTAWA - The Conservative government plans to revisit issues surrounding 30-year-old rules allowing people who live abroad to hold dual Canadian citizenship, a senior Conservative has told CanWest News Service.

The review of the laws allowing people to carry a Canadian passport along with the citizenship of another country appears to be on a fast-track, particularly after the government began tallying the costs and results of the mass evacuation of civilians in Lebanon who held Canadian citizenship during the recent conflict between Hezbollah and Israel.

''When someone lives here for a few winters and becomes a Canadian citizen for the rest of their lives do they have rights and privileges that Canadian taxpayers need to fulfil ... or should you have to live in Canada three years out of every 10 to maintain your citizenship?'' asked Ontario Conservative MP Garth Turner.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Sep 22nd 2006 at 2:11 pm. Reason: Please provide link to copyrighted text
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:48 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Re: End of Dual Citizenship

Originally Posted by toNanaimo
Conservatives to revisit dual citizenship, senior Tory says
See if really happens. Probably a little bit, but not too much. All those dual nationalities really make business easier....

Political popularism for rednecks???? (How do you say "Daily Mail Reader" in Canadian?)
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
See if really happens. Probably a little bit, but not too much. All those dual nationalities really make business easier....

Political popularism for rednecks???? (How do you say "Daily Mail Reader" in Canadian?)
Unless the Government is prepared to revoke the citizenship of a few million Canadians who hold the citizenship of another country - often unknowingly - then a "ban" on dual citizenship simply won't happen.

Lesser measures to restrict dual citizenship could be brought in more easily. However these would then leave some Canadians with dual citizenship and others without.

More probable is an increase in the residence period for citizenship. New Zealand has done so already (3 to 5 years) and Australia is currently passing legislation to that effect (2 to 4 years).
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 10:07 am
Just Joined

toNanaimo will become famous soon enoughtoNanaimo will become famous soon enough

As a newly landed If I were to know the ban on Dual Citizenship before, I would never immigrate to Canada.

The government is concerned much about 85 Million on its citizens evacuation but they are happily spending 3.5 Billions in Afghanistan and a priceless 36 soldiers lives.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 10:57 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

As a newly landed If I were to know the ban on Dual Citizenship before, I would never immigrate to Canada.

The government is concerned much about 85 Million on its citizens evacuation but they are happily spending 3.5 Billions in Afghanistan and a priceless 36 soldiers lives.
Political popularism - don't worry about it.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006

I'd just mail back the Canadian passport.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You cant easily put the genie back in the bottle, and from an economic point of view, one of the attractions of canada for a migrant is the option of dual citizenship.

I dont think it will ever happen. Too many dualies out there all ready.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

How many dual/multiple citizens are there here in Canada? There's no way they would do that. They're still trying to right wrongs of previous citizenship laws, why on earth would they take a step back like that?
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
why on earth would they take a step back like that?
Racism.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:56 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting... I've always held a Canadian passport as I was registered as a "Birth abroad" when I was born in New Zealand. Have always had some comfort in knowing that should things go T up with Canada that I could move or just apply for a NZ passport as both countries recognise dual citizenships. I think the Canadian govt would p*** off alot of people if they reviewed the laws in a negative way, there are far too many of us "crossbreeds" out there and they may end up finding themselves voted out of office next election
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...6a4964&k=61921

Nanaimo: rule 6 in the forum faq:

You cannot legally post entire articles or news in the forum without permission from the copyright holder. Even if you attribute the article correctly it is still copyright infringement. Minor fair use excerpts of less than one paragraph or 4 sentences may be used if the content is publically available on the internet. All other forms of inserted content from press releases, newsletters, web pages, or any other copyrighted content placed into messages will be removed without exception. A link to the content is acceptable and appropriate.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Sep 22nd 2006 at 4:47 pm. Reason: Text removed again
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...6a4964&k=61921

Dual citizenship faces review
Evacuation from Lebanon hastened rethinking
<SNIP>
The little C in the circle at the bottom is the reason why the original poster in this thread didnt post the whole article...

Garreth Turner MP obviously totally missed the point of citizenship. If you were born here, and then moved away for ten years, would he still have you lose your birth right, or would this only apply to imported second class citizens, like myself?

Perhaps its too easy to get citizenship at the moment, and more of a commitment should be required, but getting rid of duality entirely is hugely impractical...and a huge vote looser among the large immigrant community (who allegedly all vote liberal anyway ...perhaps thats the real issue at work here )

Last edited by iaink; Sep 22nd 2006 at 3:52 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

© National Post 2006
Not to be taken seriously then.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

I am a dual citizen (US and Canada) and I would not have taken the Canadian citizenship if either outlawed dual citizenship. I have to go to the US for work often enough that it would not be practical to lose that citizenship. I don't know what they would do with all of us that currently exist if they changed the law. I suspect there are hundreds of thousands of us.

As for the evactuation of Lebanon, my opion is that someone there on vacation who couldn't get out deserved help but someone who chose to move there and is also a citizen of Lebanon should have looked to their local citizenship (i.e. Lebanon) for help and not Canada. In the US they charged everyone they evacuated for the assistance (mailed them a bill from what I read in the news), so maybe Canada should consider doing that too.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
How many dual/multiple citizens are there here in Canada?
It's impossible to tell. The closest you could guess would be to use census data on place of birth plus parents place of birth (if this is available) and combine this with knowledge of other countries laws to start calculating.

Many dual Canadian/other citizens have no idea they hold another nationality, and some that do know, don't care about it and don't hold the other country's passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.