Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT employment options

IT employment options

Old Sep 10th 2016, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT employment options

Originally Posted by singingman
Forget IT Contracting in Canada it pretty much doesn't exist. Not like London.

Toronto is the best bet for IT jobs
Factually incorrect. It cannot be compared with UK due to the population density being a fraction of what it is back home. It's a completely different method of accessing the work here - who you know is king and agencies are for the most part useless. Establish your brand and people will get to know you.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In fact, I'd say that the position of permanent employee in the computer department of a company in another business than computing, is an endangered one.
Yes the day of the on premise IT department are numbered, certainly in the private sector. The cloud is inexorably sucking in the data...resistance is futile.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 4:11 am
Just Joined

singingman is an unknown quantity at this point

Right so for all intensive purposes contracting for someone coming from the UK does not exist in Canada from what they know unless your promoting yourself like a small buisness with all the risks and none of the benefits.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 4:16 am
Just Joined

There will always be a need for onsite IT folks, cloud or no cloud. Anyone who thinks different is just showing thier inexperince and grasp in past and future trends.

Or working for a cloud based SAAS service.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Right so for all intensive purposes contracting for someone coming from the UK does not exist in Canada from what they know unless your promoting yourself like a small business with all the risks and none of the benefits.
The methods of sourcing the work is simply different, it absolutely exists in the same way. The work is still there and the application is the same. I deal with companies every week downsizing the local permanent workforce including IT and leveraging contractors where possible to deliver projects, on-demand adhoc. I know because i hire some of them as required. No risk to the company as no salary or benefits to pay and the contractor has the benefits of a higher pay pack due to contractor rates. No different to UK. Getting access to the conversations to get hired is the issue. Perhaps less so in Toronto for obvious reasons.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

There will always be a need for onsite IT folks, cloud or no cloud. Anyone who thinks different is just showing thier inexperince and grasp in past and future trends.

Or working for a cloud based SAAS service.
I didn't say there wasn't. It will simply be vastly reduced. To suggest otherwise is flying in the face of all facts. What do you do in the IT world?
Old Sep 10th 2016, 4:26 am
Just Joined

Im Senior Managment in IT Infrastructure.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Im Senior Managment in IT Infrastructure.
Really. I find your previous posts rather contradict the market in which we operate here. I consult and speak to CLevel every other day and we all know that the cloud - whatever flavor floats your boat (AWS/Google/Microsoft) - is in it's infancy but already massively changing the game. I just had lunch with an IT Director who has finished putting most of his server workload in Azure and downsizing most of his on premises staff due to cost saving directives from above. To suggest it is not happening leaves me, well, baffled

The run rate now in O365 and Azure is massive. The migration from on-premises servers to the cloud continues and the majority of workloads such as Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype are all moving there fast. Alot of the on premises product road development is now led by the cloud, where updates take place there first and filter back to on premise. Every other company i speak to right now if not moving production server workloads there are running dev test sandbox environments in Azure or AWS etc to allow them to get a feel for things. Now that we have two Microsoft Canadian datacenters online since the Summer, the taps have opened for local government and other agencies sensitive to data sovereignty issues to push their data online. Newsflash: in 15 years consulting and 5 years in the cloud i've yet to meet a customer who can provide to me they have a better SLA than that offered by Exchange Online for email (one mission critical example).

So by consequence, on premise IT staff better get themselves sorted out and find a way to provide value to their organization. IT is no longer a technical discussion amongst geeks - it is a business discussion about service delivery. Something Senior IT Managers often forget - IT is just a tool that allows you to do your job better. Contactors get this because they are out and about seeing different customers on different projects. Those sitting in their cubicles without change often do not.

https://www.itunity.com/article/year...-prospers-3430
Old Sep 10th 2016, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Lol, did I touch a nerve sorry If I upset your buisness model to fleese buisnesses with your customised solutions programmed and deployed in the cloud without documentation and whilst employing your programming buddies. Forcing customers to pay you $200 phr to change a line of code.

Im not saying that the cloud isnt happening but to say that IT departments are a thing of the past tells me eveything I need to know about your intelligence or lack of. Until 10gig is available via regular internet speed forget your pipedream of programmer contractors in Canada ruling the world.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Lol, did I touch a nerve sorry If I upset your buisness model to fleese buisnesses with your customised solutions programmed and deployed in the cloud without documentation and whilst employing your programming buddies. Forcing customers to pay you $200 phr to change a line of code.

Im not saying that the cloud isnt happening but to say that IT departments are a thing of the past tells me eveything I need to know about your intelligence or lack of. Until 10gig is available via regular internet speed forget your pipedream of programmer contractors in Canada ruling the world.
1. I am not a "Programmer" and have never stated anywhere that I was.

2. I have a full time salaried position and do not work as a contractor, so i don't charge anyone $200.

3. I didn't say anywhere on premises IT Departments were a thing of the past

4. I'm not sure why you think you need 10GB of bandwidth to access the internet

5. if you're going to come onto this forum and post advice to fellow users, please spell-check your contributions, in the the same way that you would lead by example as, say, a Senior Manager of IT Infrastructure
Old Sep 10th 2016, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stuabroad
1. I am not a "Programmer" and have never stated anywhere that I was.

2. I have a full time salaried position and do not work as a contractor, so i don't charge anyone $200.

3. I didn't say anywhere on premises IT Departments were a thing of the past

4. I'm not sure why you think you need 10GB of bandwidth to access the internet

5. if you're going to come onto this forum and post advice to fellow users, please spell-check your contributions, in the the same way that you would lead by example as, say, a Senior Manager of IT Infrastructure
Ok genius so what is it you do?

Desktop Techs are the new experts?

Not sure why you think Im saying 10gig is necessary to access the internet, I dont recall this.

Maybe its yourself that has trouble with the english language, gaelic might be more your forte.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 6:02 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this is turning a bit unpleasant guys, I have no clue about your field and was just browsing to learn something but think I've read enough
Old Sep 10th 2016, 11:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if your a programmer but any other field it doesnt exist. .
You're. ffs.

I work with contract DBAs, security administrators, LAN administrators, application configuration people, BSAs, help desk people. Even the lady who waters the plants is on an hourly paid contract.

Also the fact that you just say you hire your buddies basically means that what I thought was true is true.
I didn't say that.

Its not about the skills you have in Canada its about who you know. Making for a market that promotes untalented individuals over the more skilled and experienced.
I disagree. Nepotism is key to the Canadian permanent employment market, it's less of an issue for contractors. I know of several who were engaged while still in Bangalore, Shanghai, Edmonton or Abbotsford. They get a fortnight to show that they're any good, if not they're out of a job.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 11:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Right so for all intensive purposes contracting for someone coming from the UK does not exist in Canada from what they know unless your promoting yourself like a small buisness with all the risks and none of the benefits.
If you have good java and P&C experience I can get you a contract starting on Wednesday.

I would caution though that, if you're English, you would be letting the side down if your emails were not more tightly edited than your posts.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 10th 2016 at 12:39 pm. Reason: Little language snippage
Old Sep 10th 2016, 12:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Wow, this is turning a bit unpleasant guys, I have no clue about your field and was just browsing to learn something but think I've read enough
Agreed. I'm not even sure why this thread has been resurrected when it's over a month old?!

Singingman, please take the time to re-read Site Rule 1. Feel free to argue your point, but do it without the personal insults, thx.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 10th 2016 at 12:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.