Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Employment Insurance

Employment Insurance

Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice
Default Employment Insurance

Hi All,
MY OH and I are planning to be in BC permanently by the end of summer. We're at the stage in our lives where we are starting to think about starting a family.
I've found plenty of info on med insuarnace/coverage and am quite confident in terms of what we can expect and when but I'm becoming puzzled by employment insurance. By that I mean the equivalent of maternity leave/pay.
From what i read a certain number of hours must have been worked (rightly so, i wouldn't expect to move to any country and immediately receive benefits such as these) but it seems that not all jobs are eligible to earn employment insurance. So I'm wondering if anyone can advise on what occupations fall into insurable employment.
Also, whether as a PR I am eligible at all!
This isn't a case of me thinking I am entitled to anything and everything, just trying to sort all the facts in my mind!
Thanks in advance for any help, sorry for the rambling post!!
Old Feb 1st 2014, 1:12 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment Insurance

i wouldn't expect to move to any country and immediately receive benefits
You won't be able to anyway in terms of any monetary benefits.

Under what type of PR are you coming to Canada?

From what i read a certain number of hours must have been worked
Yes...you pay into the pot, and it's from this pot that you get paid when need be.
Also, whether as a PR I am eligible at all!
It depends....see link

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/e...lication.shtml

Side Note: As well as not recognizing common law relationships in the province of Quebec, they also have this sweet program: Quebec Parental Insurance Plan (QPIP). Only wish Ontario had such a thing

Last edited by ultrarunner; Feb 1st 2014 at 1:14 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner

Side Note: As well as not recognizing common law relationships in the province of Quebec, [snip]
Eh?? What do you mean?? Who doesn't recognise 'em?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

All employees who pay into employment insurance and are legally entitled to work in Canada are eligible to claim. You do have to have worked a minimum number hours and paid contributions of qualifying hours in the previous 12 months. It is about 900 (600 for maternity) hours for the initial claim, but does vary according to the unemployment rate in the area the claimant lives.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aviator
All employees who pay into employment insurance and are legally entitled to work in Canada are eligible to claim. You do have to have worked a minimum number hours and paid contributions of qualifying hours in the previous 12 months. It is about 900 (600 for maternity) hours for the initial claim, but does vary according to the unemployment rate in the area the claimant lives.
Thanks aviator, that makes sense. Is ei automatically deducted from every persons paycheck or do you have to pay directly in some industries do you know?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 4:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
Thanks aviator, that makes sense. Is ei automatically deducted from every persons paycheck or do you have to pay directly in some industries do you know?
If you are an elpoyee it should be deducted by the employer and remitted on your behalf to the govt. You get a statement from your employer each year stating what deductions have been made, a T4. You file with along with your tax forms to the govt between Jan 1 and April 30 for the preceeding year. If there are any over or underpayments it is taken care of with the tax filing.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
Only if you are self employed would you have to make the payments independently yourself, otherwise it is an automatic deduction from your pay by your employer (as Aviator has already stated above).

You can read about maternity benefit/parental benefit and the requirements to claim here: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/e...parental.shtml

Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:13 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

^^^is that the same link I provided up thread
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
^^^is that the same link I provided up thread
No, your link was for self employed EI.