Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Employment History

Employment History

Old Mar 15th 2022, 2:47 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Employment History

I guys and gals, quick question for you....do you know where I can find my employment history?

I'm trying to find out about class 2 NI payments and they want exact dates of my employment since emigrating. I've had a Google but seem to be going around in circles. Some of the places I have worked no longer exist, so I'm not sure where to go. Trying to call the pension people is impossible as the number is blocked for security reasons.

cheers all.
Old Mar 15th 2022, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment History

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I guys and gals, quick question for you....do you know where I can find my employment history?

I'm trying to find out about class 2 NI payments and they want exact dates of my employment since emigrating. I've had a Google but seem to be going around in circles. Some of the places I have worked no longer exist, so I'm not sure where to go. Trying to call the pension people is impossible as the number is blocked for security reasons.

cheers all.
Have a look at your tax returns. All of your T4s should be listed on there. If you have an online CRA account, you may be able to obtain your Records of Employment/T4s from there too.
Old Mar 15th 2022, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

National insurance can be checked by clicking on the link.
Old Mar 15th 2022, 11:56 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Have a look at your tax returns. All of your T4s should be listed on there. If you have an online CRA account, you may be able to obtain your Records of Employment/T4s from there too.
T4s don't have an end and start date. CRA only keeps 7 years. That I could find.thanks
Old Mar 15th 2022, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by glendem4
National insurance can be checked by clicking on the link.
not what I asked but thank you.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 11:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

....do you know where I can find my employment history?...exact dates of my employment since emigrating. ...
I have no idea if it would be similar in Canada, but in the UK the National Insurance half of the old DSS would have such records - they'd have been recording NI deductions from your employers from 'this date to that date' and attaching them to your NI account.
Now that it's all collected by the Tax department it would be the NI department within HMRC.
(at the time of the change, it was DSS National Insurance staff moving under the tax department umbrella, if you see what I mean)

So it occurs to me that if it was similar in Canada, if anyone would have it then it might be whoever administers CPP or EI deductions in the same way.
CPP contacts
EI contacts

I've no experience of this in Canada mind, it's just a guess based on UK experience but it might be a starting point.

My stepdaughter says her deductions are shown separate to tax deductions on her pay slips, just as NI is a separate deduction in the UK, so there's a certain logic behind my suggestion.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

T4s don't have an end and start date. CRA only keeps 7 years. That I could find.thanks
I appreciate that T4s don't have an end and start date, but I thought that they may help to jog your memory. Records of Employment do.

I have just checked my CRA account online, and I can see all of my returns from 2010 onwards. In Calgary, you would be able to attend at the Harry Hays building and ask them to produce your ROEs. I imagine that there must be an equivalent office in Red Deer.

If you change jobs often, would your resume not provide you with a starting point?

Old Mar 16th 2022, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I appreciate that T4s don't have an end and start date, but I thought that they may help to jog your memory. Records of Employment do.

I have just checked my CRA account online, and I can see all of my returns from 2010 onwards. In Calgary, you would be able to attend at the Harry Hays building and ask them to produce your ROEs. I imagine that there must be an equivalent office in Red Deer.

If you change jobs often, would your resume not provide you with a starting point?
Thing is the UK want exact start and end dates.

My resumes are on old defunct laptops, most just say month and year which is what I supplied.

I'll pop along to the provincial building in town. Haven't been in there since getting my SIN 17 years ago.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I have no idea if it would be similar in Canada, but in the UK the National Insurance half of the old DSS would have such records - they'd have been recording NI deductions from your employers from 'this date to that date' and attaching them to your NI account.
Now that it's all collected by the Tax department it would be the NI department within HMRC.
(at the time of the change, it was DSS National Insurance staff moving under the tax department umbrella, if you see what I mean)

So it occurs to me that if it was similar in Canada, if anyone would have it then it might be whoever administers CPP or EI deductions in the same way.
CPP contacts
EI contacts

I've no experience of this in Canada mind, it's just a guess based on UK experience but it might be a starting point.

My stepdaughter says her deductions are shown separate to tax deductions on her pay slips, just as NI is a separate deduction in the UK, so there's a certain logic behind my suggestion.
Thank you. I'll contact them. So far all I can find online through my CRA account only goes back 7 years. Could be looking in the wrong place though.