Reload this Page >

Emigrating with pets

Emigrating with pets

Old Jul 20th 2013, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Laura J is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating with pets

Hi

Has anyone transported their dogs with them if so any advice or help gratefully received we have 2 dogs we would like to take but don't know if its financially possible.

Many thanks

Laura
Old Jul 20th 2013, 8:02 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating with pets

Yes Laura there are hosts of us bringing animals one way or the other, it is relatively simple. If you go to the blue Wiki bar at the top of the screen it will give you lots of links to it. Also if you use the search for thread feature. It can be done relatively cheaply depending on the size of dog, I think. I used Golden Way, to send my three cats and Cairn terrier, but depending where you live you can get them to the airport yourself, which is considerably cheaper. There will be a kind poster along who will give you lots of links and info....my unfriendly tablet just won't let me! I do however wish you very good luck
Old Jul 20th 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

we travelled from Gatwick with a cat and small dog to Vancouver Island, they travelled as excess baggage which cost roughly £300. We had Rabies jabs for them and pet passports. You will need specific crates for them (we have Vari-kennels) but you will get all the size advice that you need from Defra.
My two were fine, one angry moggie but he's spoiled so nothing new there! hth's x
Old Jul 21st 2013, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

cost us $180 to bring our border collie from glasgow to calgary,then a $60 customs charge when we collected the dog in calgary.

We already had her microchiped,and vacs were up to date,got a pet passport for her,and a rabies shot as well.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laura J
Hi

Has anyone transported their dogs with them if so any advice or help gratefully received we have 2 dogs we would like to take but don't know if its financially possible.

Many thanks

Laura
We have just brought over our french bulldog with Air Canada. Very easy. We got an export license through Defra, rabies jab and vet check before we left then £175 as excess baggage. Beware that some airlines won't take dogs over the summer.....
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

We bought two dogs and two cats with air Canada wasn't difficult or too expensive we had always budgeted for them in the move no way were we going without them
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 1:24 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

We brought a Jack Russell and a three legged cat over with us no problem. We used a pet travel company which was more expensive, largely as I didn't know about the DIY route at the time! LOL
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 1:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=6391192

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets

Old Jul 23rd 2013, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future

We also used a pet company for our 2 small dogs, due to us needing them to go in kennels for a week.
It cost us £800. All we did was drop them off, they did the fit to fly certs, supplied the cages, 7 nights boarding in their Uk kennels and boarded them on the flight.

Last edited by family_of_4; Jul 23rd 2013 at 2:27 am. Reason: missed a bit, Doh!
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Your dog has to be under a certain weight for excess baggage. I have a fully grown lab and she was too heavy.

If this is the case you will have to use a pet carrier

I used Skymaster at Manchester Airport and they were great
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Your dog has to be under a certain weight for excess baggage. I have a fully grown lab and she was too heavy.

If this is the case you will have to use a pet carrier

I used Skymaster at Manchester Airport and they were great
Air Transat have assured us that the weight of the dog is irrelevant, so long as they have the proper paperwork and their crate is suitable for air travel. I checked and double checked this - our 25kg airedale terrier is flying excess baggage with us in 2 weeks, Manchester to Calgary. I have it in writing that our he and his giant varikennel crate will be accepted at the check-in counter.
Maybe this is some restriction that has changed recently.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
Air Transat have assured us that the weight of the dog is irrelevant, so long as they have the proper paperwork and their crate is suitable for air travel. I checked and double checked this - our 25kg airedale terrier is flying excess baggage with us in 2 weeks, Manchester to Calgary. I have it in writing that our he and his giant varikennel crate will be accepted at the check-in counter.
Maybe this is some restriction that has changed recently.
Let us know how you get on
Old Jul 25th 2013, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

We did this with our 25kg Labrador from Manchester to Vancouver in early June. The staff in Manchester were great and the dog was perfectly happy when we got to the other end too. She went as excess baggage with Air Transat and we'd certainly recommend them.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Wolfman1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by puggirl
We bought two dogs and two cats with air Canada wasn't difficult or too expensive we had always budgeted for them in the move no way were we going without them
Maybe a silly question, Looking at your forum handle did your two dogs consist of pugs?. I have heard that not many airlines will fly pugs(flat faces and all that) as we have three pugs to consider as well as chihuahuas and a corgi maybe i will just charter my own boat
Old Aug 1st 2013, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

hi wolfman yes i did bring my puggy with air canada and yes i know there were a few airlines that dont fly them or any flat faced breeds my stanley was ten when he flew no sedation or anything i didnt want that for any of my pets he was perfectly fine when we picked him up, lol sounds like you need to charter your own plane for your zoo lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.