Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"emigrate" Shows

"emigrate" Shows

Old Feb 21st 2007, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

TRAX123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "emigrate" Shows

Hi, just wondering if anyone has attended the emigrate shows before, and how useful they are?
Are there people from different companies to discuss jobs with?
Does anyone recommend attending
Cheers
Tracey
Old Feb 21st 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "emigrate" Shows

We went to two, I think, whilst we were preparing our application primarily to talk to the folks from CHC London - it was very useful to ask questions directly.

Other than that it's mainly a load of salesmen trying to flog you things.

There were SOME employer stalls, from what I remember - for instance NZ healthcare recruitment.

Cheers, Iain
Old Feb 21st 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

TRAX123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi iain, many thanks for replying so quickly. We have already applied (AOR Oct 05) and are in the system! It was more to get chatting to employers, as we are heading over to Canada on bunac work visa for a year while we wait on pr.

Cheers
Tracey
Old Feb 21st 2007, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall any Canadian employers at the shows we went to although there might be an exhibitors list on the show's website?

There were, however, loads of forex companies, realtors, shippers, insurers, etc.

Cheers, Iain
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRAX123
Hi, just wondering if anyone has attended the emigrate shows before, and how useful they are?
Are there people from different companies to discuss jobs with?
Does anyone recommend attending
Cheers
Tracey
i went and thought it was a waste of time.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:31 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

We found them fairly interesting, although we had not applied for my visa yet, we didn't see any employers there, but it gave us a fair amount of contacts ie removals, banking, provincial governments and most importantly CHC staff.

If you have already applied, know where you are going then maybe not much use.

For the cost and if you can spare the time then well worth going

steve
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:29 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
i went and thought it was a waste of time.
Ditto
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:39 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

We went, met a guy from Manitoba resettlement, had a long chat and put the papers in for his attention and 7 months later got the visa's and moved here two months later.

Expected timing back then was 18 months to open the file, so I'd say it was useful.

Actually bump into the guy regularly now, as we work in the same building.

Did an interview as well as they thought my surname was French but I hadn't claimed any French language skills.

Go prepared with questions listen to answers from people ahead of you and don't take the kids as it bores them and then you to tears.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:18 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

They often, though not always, have talent-spotters from various individual provinces thrying to get folks to come there. They are often looking for specific occupations, but you could meet somebody there who can offer you something or pass your details on to somebody else.

I'd certainly say it might be worth taking a few copies of your resume (Canadianised CV!) on the off chance.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:03 am
Just Joined

jon2211 will become famous soon enoughjon2211 will become famous soon enough

We went 3 times. The first time we were considering emigrating to Oz, but thought we ay as well look around the Canada section. We met some really friendly helpful people from a couple of the Provincial Nominee Programs who made us think about Canada. 3 years later and we are settled in Calgary.

There are some employment agencies there and you can gather some useful info and I agree, don't take the kids.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

CrazyCal is an unknown quantity at this point

Biggest waste of a day in my life! We had our dreams of a a Canadian life built up at the show only to have it all come crashing down with a reality check once we got home and actually tried to find an employer out there.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 5:11 am
Just Joined

jon2211 will become famous soon enoughjon2211 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CrazyCal
Biggest waste of a day in my life! We had our dreams of a a Canadian life built up at the show only to have it all come crashing down with a reality check once we got home and actually tried to find an employer out there.
Sorry that you were disappointed, but that is exactly what I did. I am currently on a 3 year temporary WP sponsored by my Canadian employer and we expect to have our permanent residency in about 12 months. This is completely as a result of us going to the show.
It was at the show we learnt about Canada
It was at the show we found our removal people
It was at the show we met Orla and Mike of Move2NS
That's where we met WBC who got me the job and have processed my application from start to finish.
So all in all, going to the show changed our lives, so my advice is don't knock it till you've tried it.
What's the worst thing that can happen? You spend 20quid to get in and waste a day or you never look back
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

piggywings has a brilliant futurepiggywings has a brilliant futurepiggywings has a brilliant futurepiggywings has a brilliant futurepiggywings has a brilliant futurepiggywings has a brilliant future

We're just back from the Edinburgh one today and I think they're worthwhile.

I went to Glasgow last year after just applying for my spouse visa. It was useful to get basic info and contacts, but I think if you're a long way from getting your visa you may not find it too useful at this stage.

If you're semi close then there's good info on the basics in the seminars (re jobs, schooling, money etc). There is a jobs board at the back. Not a lot of jobs but some good websites to write down and browse.

This year was different for us as we're moving in September and I've got some good contacts for removal purposes and had a few questions answered with a mortgage broker and with the High Commission.

There are people from the different provinces there too if you have specific questions about where to relocate.

It is a bit pricey for what you get, but often it's more reassuring to chat to people in person than browse for the info online.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:05 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by piggywings
We're just back from the Edinburgh one today and I think they're worthwhile.

I went to Glasgow last year after just applying for my spouse visa. It was useful to get basic info and contacts, but I think if you're a long way from getting your visa you may not find it too useful at this stage.

If you're semi close then there's good info on the basics in the seminars (re jobs, schooling, money etc). There is a jobs board at the back. Not a lot of jobs but some good websites to write down and browse.

This year was different for us as we're moving in September and I've got some good contacts for removal purposes and had a few questions answered with a mortgage broker and with the High Commission.

There are people from the different provinces there too if you have specific questions about where to relocate.

It is a bit pricey for what you get, but often it's more reassuring to chat to people in person than browse for the info online.
I 100% agree you make them what you want out of them if you have questions it is the best place to get answers specially from CHC.