Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Emigrate show - Edinburgh

Emigrate show - Edinburgh

Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice
Default Emigrate show - Edinburgh

Hi, just wondering if anyone on here went along to the Emigrate show this weekend? and if so what did you think? Any postive experiences? We went along today and were surprised at how keen they were on my husbands skills, unlike other countries we've looked into. We came home feeling very positive about it all.

Now for a username change
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

halftheworldaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigrate show - Edinburgh

Originally Posted by Oz_Dreamer
Hi, just wondering if anyone on here went along to the Emigrate show this weekend? and if so what did you think? Any postive experiences? We went along today and were surprised at how keen they were on my husbands skills, unlike other countries we've looked into. We came home feeling very positive about it all.

Now for a username change

Yeah we went along as well.

It was worth getting the passes for the presentations.

The meet the decision makers session was good. Able to ask people from the high commission questions about the application process.

The PNP route seems to be the best route if you want to get to Canada any time soon.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

OH and I went along today and it was really helpful, we are at the stage of starting to plan the practicalities so hooking up with mortgage brokers and money transfers was really helpful.
The seminars were good, they didn't tell us anything we hadn't read ourselves or picked up here but it was useful to have it all confirmed and see if there were any subtleties we had maybe not thought of.

We have been to the shows in the past when we were less focussed on what we were trying to achieve and they weren't very helpful but I think we both got a lot out of today.

Cheers
Tom

P.S. Thanks for the comps Julie
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Search out Margot Begin and Frances Woolf at the shows - they know all about the Community Identified stream for Nova Scotia
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Happy_Feet will become famous soon enough

We went early Saturday morning, specifically to met up with the girls at Westcan Bulk Transport and Julie and Eddie too of course

A worthwhile trip for that reason alone plus the Alberta stand was giving away lots of freebies lol We now have our Alberta colander on the wall, write with our Alberta pens and cuddle our Alberta moose in bed! Oh and his name is Albert now

Thanks for the tickets Julie See you soon over there!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:08 am
Just Joined

sneezyj is an unknown quantity at this point

We went on Saturday to the show and found it really informative. We were focusing mainly on moving to Alberta but found that Nova Scotia and New Brunswick could also be an option for my OH (he is a welder). We are hoping he will be able to get in on the nominee programme if he can find a job!!!!!

We have now got to make the decision whether we concentrate on Alberta where the oil fields are, and house prices are higher or the atlantic provinces where house prices are less but jobs might not be as plentiful for welders!!

Decisions, Decisions!!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:16 am
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice

Hi,

We went yesterday too and tbh i was dissappointed on the lack of info on ontario, i suppose they dont have to try as hard as the maritimes for example.
It was nice to find out a bit more about the provinces though.

On the presentations, glad we bought the passes. Wasnt the chc guy soo cute!! I bet under that beard he was only about 22!
Again didnt learn anything i didnt know but boyfriend found it interesting and has made him realise how hard it really is.

Julie, you were great in the ask the experts section, i found the guys gave great advice on how to get a job, ill be knocking on some doors in May!

Karen
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

lizziem is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Happy_Feet
We went early Saturday morning, specifically to met up with the girls at Westcan Bulk Transport and Julie and Eddie too of course

A worthwhile trip for that reason alone plus the Alberta stand was giving away lots of freebies lol We now have our Alberta colander on the wall, write with our Alberta pens and cuddle our Alberta moose in bed! Oh and his name is Albert now

Thanks for the tickets Julie See you soon over there!
we arrived late on saturday and missed the seminar on alberta, was it any good. we are even more confused as where to go in canada i wish someone could give me the magic answer. but its all down to research isnt it.