Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Embedded software engineers, please, share your expirience

Wikiposts

Embedded software engineers, please, share your expirience

Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Embedded software engineers, please, share your expirience

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I knew all of these things about my fellow cube drones. Pictures of kids, we went to the pub, talked about hockey/rugby etc. I'm really surprised to discover that's not the norm where you are. Kinda sad.
The atmosphere has served me well. Trampling on the drone in the next cubicle is, I think, easier if they've not had the chance to seem human.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, yes, companies do vary and admitting to drinking beer is a bit extreme for the work environment, nonetheless I'd would say that conversationally work in the UK is more relaxed.
One IT company I worked for in the UK used to give out free beer on Friday afternoons. Two small companies where I applied for jobs held some or all of the interview in the local pub .
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
One IT company I worked for in the UK used to give out free beer on Friday afternoons.
Two firms I worked at did that, we thought the idea was to encourage people to stick around, perhaps working, until the free bar opened rather than leaving earlier for the pub.

That'd be problematic here as the employer would have to find a means to compensate staff who don't drink for religious reasons; the same way the companies won't pay for pizzas with pig derivative toppings no matter what the hour.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Two firms I worked at did that, we thought the idea was to encourage people to stick around, perhaps working, until the free bar opened rather than leaving earlier for the pub.
Good point, though that was also the company where the programmers revolted when the new manager said they had to get in before 5pm, so working late wasn't typically a problem .
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:08 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The West Coast must be different. Monday and Tuesday is spent discussing where you went camping/hiking/fishing/partying last weekend. Thursdays and Fridays are spent discussing where you will be camping/hiking/fishing/partying this weekend.

Wednesdays can be dull.

In my last full-time job I knew the names of, and had met, the spouses of all the employees - other and same sex.

That said, I have heard that working at one of the most famous software businesses in Vancouver can be a bit of a treadmill.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

So is there a variation between provinces?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:42 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy
So is there a variation between provinces?
And variations between the industries, and even variations between companies within the same industry.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:53 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
And variations between the industries, and even variations between companies within the same industry.
Depends on the people don't it. I wear jeans and t-shirt and have had a pint at lunch without comment here. Mind you, in the UK, I'd go to the pub at lunch with a few friends from work and just not come back - not something I've seen people do here.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:00 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Depends on the people don't it. I wear jeans and t-shirt and have had a pint at lunch without comment here. Mind you, in the UK, I'd go to the pub at lunch with a few friends from work and just not come back - not something I've seen people do here.
I saw/see that. Maybe it's construction though

You're in Van too. Interesting. Maybe we should start a poll.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:05 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I saw/see that. Maybe it's construction though

You're in Van too. Interesting. Maybe we should start a poll.
A "Do you, on occasion, disappear down the pub at lunch and not go back" poll? Yeah, why not; I'll put one up.