Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to move to Canada!

Electrician wanting to move to Canada!

Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Olib1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician wanting to move to Canada!

I don't have one years exp yet as I have only just finished my apprenticeship, I need to find out if this definitely cannot include my apprenticeship time. If it cannot then I will have to wait until next June to apply. At that time my points will add upto exactly 67 so I should get in, but I'm considering learning French to help with this, and will also come in handy if I move.

My girlfriend completed 3 A levels and 1 AS level at college so is this the same as a 2 year diploma? Sh was at college for 2 years.

Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

Another way poss, does your girlfriend have any NOC skills you could use as the main applicant, or and get married and top up your points with her qualifications. We both used our combination of qualifications.

Remember even if you get through immigration you still will not have enough hours for 'Red Seal' approval and will need to work under someone elses ticket at apprenticeship level. Tough way in from England, I stress you need to be in CANADA for these opportunities.

Both of you could try the BUNAC Canada route. It's an open working visa for people under 31 years of age, and you can work there for up to a year. In that time you could easily gain work and fast tracked in. Best way in, in your present situation.

Try before you buy, LOL

Good Luck
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
No necessarily. If you're an employee and overseen by a Red Seal qualified electrician, you don't need the qualification yourself. I've several friends that are electricians and not RS certified. They all earn good money and don't feel the need to achieve RS.
Hi
Not sure that is quite right,
There are however workers, these are not qualified electricians.

Helpers (Now "Workers") can only work on Class "C" ticket stuff, that is single phase, max 200 amp, and max 150 volts to ground. The work they do is determined by the scope of the job and the main service size, such that if it takes an "A" or "B" ticket to get a permit to do any job, you can NOT have any "Workers"(Helpers) on that Job. They must be either Journeymen or Trainees (Apprentices)

In BC all regulated work not done by the homeowner themselves, must be done by a licensed contractor, any permit has to be pulled by an FSR.

A curious fact is if you have a official suite in your house that you rent, even if you are a red seal electrician, you are not legally allowed to do any work in that suite, you have to get a licenced contractor in to do the work ...

Best bet is to get your Red Seal, if you want any real legit work.

It opened lots of employment for me.

cheers
Jerry

Last edited by jerry brewer; Jul 19th 2010 at 3:45 am. Reason: typo
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:46 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
Not sure that is quite right,
There are however workers, these are not qualified electricians.

Helpers (Now "Workers") can only work on Class "C" ticket stuff, that is single phase, max 200 amp, and max 150 volts to ground. The work they do is determined by the scope of the job and the main service size, such that if it takes an "A" or "B" ticket to get a permit to do any job, you can NOT have any "Workers"(Helpers) on that Job. They must be either Journeymen or Trainees (Apprentices)

In BC all regulated work not done by the homeowner themselves, must be done by a licensed contractor, any permit has to be pulled by an FSR.

Best bet is to get your Red Seal, if you want any real legit work.

It opened lots of employment for me.

cheers
Jerry
You don't need Red Seal but you do need the Provincial qualification. You can also work being supervised by a certified electrician. Sometimes this supervision can be making a phone call, or getting someone to come round and check your work before the switch is thrown.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

Jerry you have it in a 'Nut Shell', this is the BEST route but you could try other routes going through BUNAC; working under someone elses ticket.

'RED SEAL' in Calgary gives you ANY province to work in!!!!!!!! If you gunna do 'Red Seal' keep all your doors open, no point committing to one area alone.

I will PM you to give you some ideas of what's involved.