Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electrician trying to get to Alberta

Electrician trying to get to Alberta

Old Jan 10th 2024, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Cwld17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician trying to get to Alberta

Can anyone help? We seem to be going round in circles.

WES completed- high school diploma graduation
IELTS done: W8.5 S9 R8.5 L8
Electrical experience assessed by my trade secrets via work hours- passed and all approved with work references and invoices.
Moved onto the next stage expecting to be able to complete his certificate of qualification but can’t open the letters on his account. Checked with my trade secrets and apparently they can only be opened once a permanent address is entered. They have informed him he can’t do the exam without a visa but we can’t get in the EE draw without a certificate of qualification as we don’t have enough points for any of the programmes. We were hoping for federal skilled worker. He is age 39 and I’m 37.

Researched to see if he can go straight for the red seal but it looks like that’s only available on a visa too.

How do trades actually get into Canada or namely Alberta. I’ve now applied for a university course just to hopefully buy ourselves in. We’ve been on this rollercoaster since June and advice would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 10th 2024, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician trying to get to Alberta

Hi, welcome to BE.

Assume you mean Federal Skilled Trades rather than Federal Skilled Worker? You don't need to have a visa to get provincially certified, so if that's the only reason you're getting a study permit (and presumably paying huge international fees) then stop! I suspect that when Trade Secrets say he must have a visa to sit the exam they just mean as a visitor (but of course UK citizens don't usually need a visitor visa). So yes, he has to be in Canada to do it, but doesn't need to be working there on a visa already.

What are your points scores (both of you) on the CRS - both with and without the CofQ? Have you done any job hunting yet?

Old Jan 10th 2024, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Sorry yes I mean federal skilled trades. We both have 270 being the lead applicant. We’ve re read the emails from them and they state he needs a job to complete the trade competency book and that it can only be posted once he has a permanent address in Canada.

He’s just emailed again to see which exam he can sit on a visitor visa the info talks about the certificate of qualification and the red seal.

we came back from Alberta yesterday we were looking at areas we might want to live if we ever get the nod. We spoke to lots of people who said they’re crying out for trades. He hasn’t applied for anything yet as it would need to be LMIA and he couldn’t find anything.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 10:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cwld17
Sorry yes I mean federal skilled trades. We both have 270 being the lead applicant. We’ve re read the emails from them and they state he needs a job to complete the trade competency book and that it can only be posted once he has a permanent address in Canada.

He’s just emailed again to see which exam he can sit on a visitor visa the info talks about the certificate of qualification and the red seal.

we came back from Alberta yesterday we were looking at areas we might want to live if we ever get the nod. We spoke to lots of people who said they’re crying out for trades. He hasn’t applied for anything yet as it would need to be LMIA and he couldn’t find anything.
Very odd that they're telling you that. Tons of forum members have managed it, so there must be a way! A forum search may bring up some relevant threads. Assume he's followed this process? https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/beco...ogram-details/

Not sure about crying out for trades though, electricians aren't an occupation in demand in Alberta - outlook 'moderate' and only 63 jobs available on Job Bank (nearly 5 times that in BC) - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ation/20684/AB
Old Jan 12th 2024, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your response, yes I’ve read a few comments but all exams have to be booked through my trade secrets, they’re saying he can’t until he has a Canadian address. He asked if it can be a hotel or air b&b address if he comes over on a holiday visa to do it and they said no it has to be permanent address. He was worried he might book it and try and them ask for a utility bill or something to prove his address.

He’s up to step 4. He has 18 months to do the competency booklet and the exam. All the letters in his account are locked and they’ve told him he can’t access them until he’s in Canada.