Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electrician and Teacher - which route?

Electrician and Teacher - which route?

Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:25 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician and Teacher - which route?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Absolutely, couldn't agree more.
Please don't wink at me.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Please don't wink at me.
Well, that's just too tempting..................
Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:28 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's just too tempting..................
I'll ask you again, nicely.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I'll ask you again, nicely.

Anyway, apologies to the OP for all this silliness taking your thread off course! But hope you've managed to find the info you need on BE, there is usually somebody around to help you out with any questions, and certainly lots of electricians on here who should be able to give you some hints and tips.

Kancell's idea of a home swap is a very good one too.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:55 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the OP question..............

i would come via the electrician route, you can apply for PR and get that within 6/12mths.........
he will have to challenge the redseal, but that will depend on where you are heading, most areas look for at least 9000hrs of work experience which doesnt inc any collage or apprentaship work
You can decide to get a job, here in alberta and then sit the redseal within 6mths of being here, but be warned that alot of jobs are being refused LMO's at the moment and people are struggling.
If you arrive on PR you may stand a better chance

Hope that helps your question, shocked that a mod took it off track
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:20 am
Just Joined

kezzamc is an unknown quantity at this point

When my inbox tells me there is a reply on Expats site I get all excited..it isn't even annoying when its just a few having a niggle at eachother with the winking etc!!!

I thought about the home swap idea but really cant imagine anyone wanting to swap their home in Canada (wherever it might be) to visit Coventry..lol.

Very tempted to whack a couple of flights onto my credit card for October. I know of CanadianAffair. Are there any other bargain flight sites I should check out?

My OH tentatively asked me earlier whether we would be able to meet up with some Expats and get some advice whilst over there ...so is it just normal for me to ask on here nearer the time who is about and fancies dinner or a walk in a park?

Its my birthday today ..27 yrs old!!!! WOOOHOOOOO...and its RAINING and Grey...GRRRRR

Ok...quite a random question but are LABRADOODLES popular in Canada? (the cross breed dog).
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:24 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezzamc

When my inbox tells me there is a reply on Expats site I get all excited..it isn't even annoying when its just a few having a niggle at eachother with the winking etc!!!

I thought about the home swap idea but really cant imagine anyone wanting to swap their home in Canada (wherever it might be) to visit Coventry..lol.

Very tempted to whack a couple of flights onto my credit card for October. I know of CanadianAffair. Are there any other bargain flight sites I should check out?

My OH tentatively asked me earlier whether we would be able to meet up with some Expats and get some advice whilst over there ...so is it just normal for me to ask on here nearer the time who is about and fancies dinner or a walk in a park?

Its my birthday today ..27 yrs old!!!! WOOOHOOOOO...and its RAINING and Grey...GRRRRR

Ok...quite a random question but are LABRADOODLES popular in Canada? (the cross breed dog).
In order, CA is probably best but there's also Globespan
Ex-Pats are always willing to meet you and 'show' you around (especially if you bring them goodies)
Labradoodles are popular (I believe dbd has a version of said 'crossbreed')
Old Jul 26th 2009, 6:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

We were only joking with each other! You'll need to get used to that I'm afraid, this is a public forum and there are many members that have been here for years and like to mess around and take the piss out of each other (in the true British tradition!). Really don't take it personally, all threads wander off on a tangent and I did try and put it back on course.

Anyway, happy birthday for tomorrow, hope you have a good day.

Old Jul 26th 2009, 6:09 am
Just Joined

kezzamc is an unknown quantity at this point

We were only joking with each other! You'll need to get used to that I'm afraid, this is a public forum and there are many members that have been here for years and like to mess around and take the piss out of each other (in the true British tradition!). Really don't take it personally, all threads wander off on a tangent and I did try and put it back on course.

Anyway, happy birthday for tomorrow, hope you have a good day.

Lol, I didnt think it was serious tbh. I did worry a lil' bit about the bickering over East/Central placing of Ontario though!!!!

Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

You'd be surprised who would want to home swap - we thought the very same when we homeswapped for our first Canadian experience (we lived in Swindon - armpit of the universe as it's locally known! ) and swapped with some people in BC. Canadians see the UK as very small and many want to use a homeswap as a cheaper way to get over to see long lost friends and rellies. Our homeswappers had friends in Oxfordshire and Berkshire, as well as relatives in Wales, so Swindon was an ideal base for them. Coventry is lovely and central for sightseeing Canucks who want to see a bit of north and south Blighty, and you've got all the Shakespeary stuff just down the road.... I bet you'd be surprised who'd be interested.

By the way, we'd be more than happy to meet up if you're heading Calgary way, just PM us nearer the time. We're just 20 mins down the road from south Calgary, and there's lots more friendly expats in our town too.