Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electrician moving to work in Ft Mac, but where to live?

Electrician moving to work in Ft Mac, but where to live?

Old Dec 26th 2012, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

llywelyn 1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician moving to work in Ft Mac, but where to live?

Hi.

I been offered work as a electrician in Fort Mcmurray, it's 21 days on 7 off, I have a wife and 5 year old, I don't want them moving to Fort Mcmurray as its not exactly a family place I've been told. I was thinking Calgary, Red Deer or Edmonton. But of course we are open to suggestions. I'm going over on a LMO and them applying for SWV or PR or what ever is the easiest.

David
Old Dec 26th 2012, 7:33 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician moving, but to where?

Originally Posted by llywelyn 1982
Hi.

I been offered work as a electrician in Fort Mcmurray, it's 21 days on 7 off, I have a wife and 5 year old, I don't want them moving to Fort Mcmurray as its not exactly a family place I've been told. I was thinking Calgary, Red Deer or Edmonton. But of course we are open to suggestions. I'm going over on a LMO and them applying for SWV or PR or what ever is the easiest.

David
Hi David

I live in a town close to Calgary and there's tons of families here where the husband/dad works up in Fort McMurray on similar work patterns to what you mention. I'm sure there are many families in similar situations in all the places you mention so you're family certainly wouldn't be alone. Any of those cities or nearby towns are fine; if you can, visit them to get a feel for the places to see what you like. Do you prefer city/town living, rural, location to mountains etc?

All the best with your new venture!
Old Dec 26th 2012, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TheThornes
Hi David

I live in a town close to Calgary and there's tons of families here where the husband/dad works up in Fort McMurray on similar work patterns to what you mention. I'm sure there are many families in similar situations in all the places you mention so you're family certainly wouldn't be alone. Any of those cities or nearby towns are fine; if you can, visit them to get a feel for the places to see what you like. Do you prefer city/town living, rural, location to mountains etc?

All the best with your new venture!
I couldn't live in the city. Town to semi rural would be ideal. I have friends in Cochrane, they say it's lovely. We'll have to rent to start with. My wife has family in Canada, we are hoping it will help the permanent residency visa once we are over there.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 8:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going over on a LMO and them applying for SWV or PR or what ever is the easiest.
They're the same thing. SW is just a way to apply for PR.

I'll amend your thread title so it's a bit more specific, hopefully then those with Ft Mac experience will take a look at it.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 26th 2012 at 8:57 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They're the same thing. SW is just a way to apply for PR.

I'll amend your thread title so it's a bit more specific, hopefully then those with Ft Mac experience will take a look at it.

Good luck.
Thanks for you help. Just would like a few suggestions so we can have look about first
Old Dec 27th 2012, 12:00 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician moving to work in Ft Mac, but where to live?

Red Deer is very popular for young families because of the schools and amenities.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

If you are 21/7 you dont really have to restrict yourself to Alberta - There are people living all over the country working that rotation
Old Dec 27th 2012, 2:42 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't live in the city. Town to semi rural would be ideal. I have friends in Cochrane, they say it's lovely. We'll have to rent to start with. My wife has family in Canada, we are hoping it will help the permanent residency visa once we are over there.
Your friends are right; it is lovely! Also fits the town to semi-rural box too. Perhaps I know your friends already! LOL
Old Dec 27th 2012, 3:53 am
Just Joined

lufc87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I often work in Fort McMurray, flying in direct from Toronto. I personally could not do a 21/7 living in Eastern Canada, you lose time travelling and it becomes very tiring after a while, even with a 14/14.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 9:30 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

David
Although mostly populated by the equivalent of country bumpkins, technically all three of these places are cities, so may not be quite up your street.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

How will you get back and forth from Fort Mac? Will the company fly you? If so, pick somewhere not to far from the relevant airport, to keep commute time to a minimum. Don't lose a day either end of your "7 off" if you can help it.

Or will you have to drive? That might take best part of a day depending on where you end up... one more bit of the "food for thought".
Old Dec 27th 2012, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ann m
How will you get back and forth from Fort Mac? Will the company fly you? If so, pick somewhere not to far from the relevant airport, to keep commute time to a minimum. Don't lose a day either end of your "7 off" if you can help it.

Or will you have to drive? That might take best part of a day depending on where you end up... one more bit of the "food for thought".
I get my flights to work included, so I only have to pay for my flight home, not really a issue seeing as my current diesel bill is about £500 a month.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I get my flights to work included, so I only have to pay for my flight home, not really a issue seeing as my current diesel bill is about £500 a month.
You've looked in to the price of internal flights in Canada right?! it's not like Europe where you can fly for £30..........
Old Dec 27th 2012, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You've looked in to the price of internal flights in Canada right?! it's not like Europe where you can fly for £30..........
Just tried to find some single fare quotes but couldn't on a quick search. Return flights are in the region of $500 to $600 for Calgary/Fort Mac. That's a fair whack to find every month...
Old Dec 28th 2012, 1:23 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

One way flights from Fort Mac to Red Deer in the region of $200. There are lots of little satellite towns around Red Deer that might work for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.