Reload this Page >

Electrical thinking of Emigrating to Canada

Electrical thinking of Emigrating to Canada

Old Jul 28th 2022, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Stephen40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician thinking of Emigrating to Canada

Hello,

I've just come back from Toronto Canada for a second and I love the life style there.

I'm considering emigrating there and was looking for help, especially with employment. Im a UK qualified electrician and have experience with working on American electrical systems (which is similar to Canadian systems).

I was told about the express visa entry, which might be the route that i take. I do have funds, however really wanted to try and have some sort of employment sorted before i go. I understand that id have to do a canadian electrical course, however was hoping to maybe work as an electrical helper to aid in my conversion from UK to Canadian electrics.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an employer, agency or company that may take me on or help with finding employment?

Thank you

Last edited by Stephen40; Jul 28th 2022 at 9:07 am.
Old Jul 28th 2022, 12:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical thinking of Emigrating to Canada

Hi, welcome to BE.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any visa that you'd qualify for without provincial certification.

You may also find that you'd be better off getting PR via EE first, to give yourself the best chance of finding a job. If you're work authorised it will be much easier than trying to convince an employer to spend the money and wait the time required to sponsor you for a work permit. But once you've got PR, you've got years before you have to move, so plenty of time to job hunt and have something lined up before you go.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jul 28th 2022, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Stephen40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi christmasoompa,

Thank you for replying. So for express entry I will not necessarily need a job in place before i apply? If I get accepted for EE, then I can travel to Canada and will be allowed to look for employment and actually work? How does it work for health insurance and tax? Will I have to pay for my own health insurance or are employers obliged to provide medical cover? Will I be paid gross and have to sort my taxes out myself?

Thank you again
Old Jul 28th 2022, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen40
So for express entry I will not necessarily need a job in place before i apply?
No, for the Federal Skilled Trade program you'd need either a job offer OR provincial certification, not both.

If I get accepted for EE, then I can travel to Canada and will be allowed to look for employment and actually work?
You'd get Permanent Residency, so you'd be able to work/retire/study/set up your own business, pretty much anything you like. As a PR of Canada, you have all the rights of a citizen except you can't vote or work in certain government jobs.

How does it work for health insurance and tax? Will I have to pay for my own health insurance or are employers obliged to provide medical cover? Will I be paid gross and have to sort my taxes out myself?
Heath insurance will depend on the province you go to as to what is covered, and no way of knowing for sure what employers will offer. Some will offer some kind of extra health insurance, others won't, so that will depend. Taxes will also depend on if you're self employed or employed. If you're employed then tax and other deducations will come out of your pay check, same as in the UK. Lots more info in the Wiki for a bit of light reading -

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Taxation-Canada

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Payro...uctions-Canada

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada

HTH.