Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electrical items

Electrical items

Old May 25th 2024, 2:18 am
Just Joined

OakleyMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical items

This is probably a bit of a ‘stupid-boy’ question, but here goes….

i am in the process of getting ready to move to Canada after my PR confirmation. I have quite a few electrical items (DIY equipment etc) that I’d like to keep, can this be brought with me and used in Canada. I’m sure the issue about the different plug format is just a case of putting a Canadian plug on various items when I’m there, but of course it’s the voltage etc that is also a hurdle to overcome.

Or is this something that can’t be resolved and I’ll need to buy a whole new set of tools?
Old May 25th 2024, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical items

Originally Posted by OakleyMatt
This is probably a bit of a ‘stupid-boy’ question, but here goes….

i am in the process of getting ready to move to Canada after my PR confirmation. I have quite a few electrical items (DIY equipment etc) that I’d like to keep, can this be brought with me and used in Canada. I’m sure the issue about the different plug format is just a case of putting a Canadian plug on various items when I’m there, but of course it’s the voltage etc that is also a hurdle to overcome.

Or is this something that can’t be resolved and I’ll need to buy a whole new set of tools?
Try to sell everything that is 220 only in the UK.

Re fitting the plugs is not the problem, converting von 220 to 110 is possible with the right converters, but not recommendable.

Devices such as vacuum cleaners or microwaves with 900 Watt will probably be too much. A stereo would most likely be convertible.

Look for Watt and Ampere, rather than anything else when buying a converter.
Old May 25th 2024, 6:06 am
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Try to sell everything that is 220 only in the UK.

Re fitting the plugs is not the problem, converting von 220 to 110 is possible with the right converters, but not recommendable.

Devices such as vacuum cleaners or microwaves with 900 Watt will probably be too much. A stereo would most likely be convertible.

Look for Watt and Ampere, rather than anything else when buying a converter.
I already had an up/down converter so I brought a B&D hammer drill plus a multi-tool and hedge trimmer, the last two being battery powered but no problems with recharging. Also a Dremel drill which is fine.
I also brought computery which is dual voltage together with power strips so I only needed to buy one plug and leave the computer/printer/scanner connected via the power strip (which was also a surge protector).
However, anything which doesn't like 60Hz mains might be a problem.
HTH
Old May 25th 2024, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I found nothing worked properly so then i had a load of junk to recycle. Sell it in the UK and buy new would be my advice.
Old May 25th 2024, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

OakleyMatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Ive seen those Converters now after looking online. They're not really something you want to have to bother with when you're doing DIY. So I'll flog everything and buy new in Canada.

Thanks.
Old May 25th 2024, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule, anything which rotates or anything with a built in clock, will not work properly even if you're using a converter.

A cell phone is probably the safest bet to take with you to Canada, just a normal converter to charge would be ok, same goes for laptop computers, tablets, etc..
A good stereo which you like and don't want to flog in the UK is probably also a safe bet to take with you to Canada with the use of a converter. DAB / DAB+ doesn't work in Canada, - it doesn't exist. AM radio is in parts still popular but works in 10 kHz steps, nit 9 kHz steps as in Europe.

Also you will most likely miss the washing machines from Europe and the UK. The standard of washing machines in Canada is considerably less, especially the Maytag models.
Old May 26th 2024, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Same as said - Power Tools designed for 220v do not perform well with converter

Sell 220v equipment - Buy 110v items
Old May 26th 2024, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Same as said - Power Tools designed for 220v do not perform well with converter

Sell 220v equipment - Buy 110v items
Apart from that you'll most likely have a warranty issue even quite possibly a workplace safety issue as well. Electrical devices in Canada, especially bigger ones have some kind of certification, often a small maple leaf somewhere on the device.
Old May 26th 2024, 1:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Re fitting the plugs is not the problem...
I've always been struck by the absence of plugs and associated items in Canada.

Even since the UK started selling electrical things that actually had plugs attached, plugs were still readily available.
If the cord got frayed near the plug you could simply snip off the bad bit, strip the wires back a bit and reconnect using the existing plug but in Canada all the cords and plugs seem permanently fixed so you need a new cord and even then it's sometimes fixed into the electrical item so that won't work.

I've just rechecked our kettle. The plug is not detachable and the other end goes directly into the stand with no means of separating that doesn't involve breaking it. So something goes wrong cord/plug related and a new kettle is needed.

Want to make a table lamp using a bottle? These handy things available in the UK

I dare say you could eventually source something like it over here but I've never seen it readily available as I did in the UK in the most modest of hardware stores.
Old May 27th 2024, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Even since the UK started selling electrical things that actually had plugs attached, plugs were still readily available.
If the cord got frayed near the plug you could simply snip off the bad bit, strip the wires back a bit and reconnect using the existing plug but in Canada all the cords and plugs seem permanently fixed so you need a new cord and even then it's sometimes fixed into the electrical item so that won't work.

I've just rechecked our kettle. The plug is not detachable and the other end goes directly into the stand with no means of separating that doesn't involve breaking it. So something goes wrong cord/plug related and a new kettle is needed.

Want to make a table lamp using a bottle? These handy things available in the UK

I dare say you could eventually source something like it over here but I've never seen it readily available as I did in the UK in the most modest of hardware stores.
I would tend to agree with you that the UK has more and better choice in this matter.
I think the fact why the cord can be plugged and unplugged from UK devices is that the company manufacturing them also exports to mainland Europe. They need different cables there as there are different plugs but still it's 220 volt. It's quite possible that this concept is also an EU requirement and the Brits still stuck to it after Brexit.

They also passed some kind of law in the EU that all smartphones must have the same plugs for charging devices.
Old May 27th 2024, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

IKEA has it for small bulbs
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/strala-...hite-90371505/

and large bulbs:
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/havsris...hite-80490052/

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; May 27th 2024 at 2:58 pm.